Checkpoints

Reply Sat 27 Nov, 2010 03:49 am
A bit long sentence, so please be patient.
Thank you.

I think:

"The increased recognition of the role of B cells in autoimmunity has led to renewed interest in the checkpoints that govern B cell tolerance, identifiable as ‘central’ when established in the bone marrow and ‘peripheral’ after B cells have exited to the periphery."

=

The increased recognition of the role of B cells in autoimmunity has led to renewed interest in the checkpoints that govern B cell tolerance, identifiable as ‘central checkpoints’ when B cells were established (or "when B cells appear") in the bone marrow and ‘peripheral checkpoints’ after B cells have exited to the periphery.

Am I on the right track?

Context:

The increased recognition of the role of B cells in autoimmunity has led to renewed interest in the checkpoints that govern B cell tolerance, identifiable as ‘central’ when established in the bone marrow and ‘peripheral’ after B cells have exited to the periphery. Genetically determined defects that have an impact in either site can result in malfunctioning B cells and/or the accumulation of autoreactive B cells in the blood (Eric Meffre Yale University, New Haven, CT).
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 487 • Replies: 3
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sat 27 Nov, 2010 04:13 pm
They are talking about tolerance. That is the subject of the phrase.

0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 27 Nov, 2010 04:22 pm
@oristarA,
Yes, you're on the right track.

"when B cells were established (or "when B cells appear") in the bone marrow" may be thought of as immature or undeveloped B cells and the periphery is when they are in circulation.
oristarA

Reply Sat 27 Nov, 2010 09:51 pm
@JPB,
Thank you JPB.

Also thanks to PUNKEY.
0 Replies