The sentence is not logically acceptable

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2010 08:54 pm

attributed to = because of?
If so, I don't think " attributed to a loss of function mutation of critical transcription factors" holds water.

Should it be " attributed to a loss of function caused by mutation of critical transcription factors?"

Context:
APECED, IPEX and Omenn syndrome all associate with aberrant thymic function with failure of production and function of the regulatory T cell elements, attributed to a loss of function mutation of critical transcription factors, AIRE in APECED and FOXP3 in IPEX.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 592 • Replies: 6
No top replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2010 09:25 pm
@oristarA,
Whoever wrote that would never have gotten past tenth grade English where I went to school.
oristarA

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2010 01:10 am
@gungasnake,
Yeah? Very Happy
0 Replies

JPLosman0711

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2010 06:43 am
Logic will only hold you back my friend
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2010 06:47 am
@oristarA,
I agree, the sentence sucks. I'd say that your solution is probably correct, but couldn't state that to a certainty without more context. However, given how poorly all of these immunology texts are written, even that might not help.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2010 06:50 am
By the way, in this context, "attributed to" means that it is supposed that the effect is because of the cause alleged.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2010 07:52 am
@oristarA,
Quote:
APECED, IPEX and Omenn syndrome all associate with aberrant thymic function with failure of production and function of the regulatory T cell elements, attributed to a loss of function mutation of critical transcription factors, AIRE in APECED and FOXP3 in IPEX.

One possible interpretation of the sentence might be:

Quote:
APECED, IPEX and Omenn syndrome are all associated with aberrant thymic function and with failure of production and function of the regulatory T cell elements; this is attributed to a loss of function caused by mutation of critical transcription factors, AIRE in APECED and FOXP3 in IPEX.

That's decent English but you'd have to talk to the quasi-literate scientist who wrote the original sentence to determine if that or something else is what he actually meant.
0 Replies