DrewDad

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2010 11:52 pm
@edgarblythe,
Well.... the trial was in Austin....

Damn hippies. Razz
dyslexia

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2010 12:33 am
@DrewDad,
the hippies moved to San Marcos years ago. My grand grandfather was a founding father of San Marcos in the day.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2010 04:42 am
@DrewDad,
Travis County is more than Austin, but also overwhelmingly Democratic. That DA has been making noises against DeLay since back when the entire Democratic contingent of the Texas legislature fled to Oklahoma to avoid voting on DeLay's redistricting plans for the state. Here's hoping for a mistrial Smile
gungasnake

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2010 09:21 am
@IRFRANK,
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-chat/2633306/posts

Quote:

I'm not a lawyer, so if somebody has more understanding, steer me to where I am wrong.

- Texas has a law which forbids corporations from contributing to candidates.

- Corporations gave money to Delay.

- Delay funneled this money through the RNC to help some Texas State GOP candidates (no input from the corporations).

- Texas prosecutors could not find any way to prosecute Delay for campaign finance violations.

- They then used Texas money laundering laws to prosecute Delay even though those laws clearly state that such proceeds must come from illegal activities and it is clear that Delay obtained the money legally.

- So Delay is convicted of money laundering of legally obtained funds (Statutes require that the funds be obtained illegally) to be used for supposed illegal activities (campaign finance laws which the prosecution knew they could never convict Delay of) and Delay is guilty of a felony?

Somebody help me out here. Why was this guy ever tried?

Basically what you have is the leader of the house majority being forced out of politics by a rogue DA acting as a political hack and a wimp pubbie president failing to do anything about it. This shitbird (Earle) had to shop this one around for a grand jury which wanted to hear about it after six or eight didn't and finally manages to convict a major pubby player in a sham trial in the most libtard place in the state and you don't think if that kind of **** goes on long enough there's going to be a second civil war???

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2010 09:37 am
When I saw that the last poster was Gungasnake I knew he'd be fellating De Lay and I'm thankful he didn't include an image.
gungasnake

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2010 09:52 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
Like I say, I don't really get anything out of being in the same country with your ilk any more and the Russian government is actually operating on the assumption that the U.S. is going to split up. Be thinking about what you actually want when the divorce becomes official; there may be some shot at a reasonable settlement without CW-II ever happening.
blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2010 10:02 am
sure you do gunga...without my ilk who would you feel superior to and holier than? I'm a big boost to your self esteem and I'm happy to be of service. I'm a giver.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2010 01:32 pm
@gungasnake,
Quote:
Like I say, I don't really get anything out of being in the same country with your ilk any more and the Russian government is actually operating on the assumption that the U.S. is going to split up. Be thinking about what you actually want when the divorce becomes official; there may be some shot at a reasonable settlement without CW-II ever happening.

Geeze, and here I thought that the USA was this big melting pot of happiness, you know, freedom. Now Gunga informs us that the US is going to split and that his side is going to have some right wing nazi style government.
gungasnake

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2010 01:44 pm
@JTT,
Nazis and communists never tried to destroy Germany or Russia by shutting down one of those countries major farming regions for the sake of a snail darter. Don't insult those guys by comparing them with the ******* demoKKKrats.
BillW

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2010 02:15 pm
Naw, they just did it with bullets and bombs, RePUKElian lubrication!
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2010 02:33 pm
@gungasnake,
As is always the case, you blow things way out of proportion, Gunga. Typical of someone with the brain function of pond scum.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 28 Nov, 2010 07:14 pm
@High Seas,
A mistrial? After the jury has returned a verdict?

What are you drinking these days HS?
BillW

Reply Sun 28 Nov, 2010 07:18 pm
@parados,
NeoCons are waiting for a member or two of the SCOTUS to step in and set him free cause he is so special Rolling Eyes Guess which ones are most likely.....
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2010 04:39 pm
finally!
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2010 03:00 pm
@parados,
You very obviously are far too ignorant to know what the original indictments were, why the prosecutor had to withdraw them, and whether the judge was correct in agreeing to a complete new set of indictments, on which DeLay was ultimately tried. Sorry to inform you no amount of drinking, or abstinence thereof, could get your brain in sufficient working order to look up these details, or understand them even if you did manage to locate them Smile
JTT

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2010 03:07 pm
@High Seas,
This suggests that you are able to provide said information, High Seas. If you can find the time between your important overseas assignments why not grace these pages with your wisdom and insight?

0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2010 03:09 pm
@gungasnake,
Quote:
This shitbird (Earle) had to shop this one around for a grand jury which wanted to hear about it after six or eight didn't and finally manages to convict a major pubby player in a sham trial in the most libtard place in the state and you don't think if that kind of **** goes on long enough there's going to be a second civil war???

No, I don't think so; because you and everyone like you is a pussy at heart, Gunga. Nobody buys your bullshit rhetoric.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2010 06:38 pm
@High Seas,
There isn't much of a possibility of a mistrial after a verdict is reached High Seas. it doesn't matter what the original indictments were or if Delay's lawyer was asleep through the entire proceeding. Appeals will not result in a mistrial.

I thought perhaps you were drinking for not realizing that a mistrial can't happen at this stage.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 02:40 pm
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/01/10/AR2011011000557.html?hpid=topnews
Judge Sentences Tom DeLay To 3 Years In Prison
By JUAN A. LOZANO
The Associated Press
Monday, January 10, 2011; 3:33 PM

AUSTIN, Texas -- A judge ordered former U.S. House Majority Leader Tom DeLay to serve three years in prison Monday for his role in a scheme to illegally funnel corporate money to Texas candidates in 2002.

The sentence comes after a jury in November convicted DeLay on charges of money laundering and conspiracy to commit money laundering. DeLay was once one of the most powerful men in U.S. politics, ascending to the No. 2 job in the House of Representatives.

Senior Judge Pat Priest sentenced him to the three-year term on the conspiracy charge. He also sentenced him to five years in prison on the money laundering charge but allowed DeLay to accept 10 years of probation instead of more prison time.

The former Houston-area congressman had faced up to life in prison. His attorneys asked for probation.

Senior Judge Pat Priest issued his ruling after a brief sentencing hearing on Monday in which former U.S. House Speaker Dennis Hastert testified on DeLay's behalf.

Prosecutors attempted to present only one witness at the hearing, Peter Cloeren, a Southeast Texas businessman who claimed DeLay had urged him in 1996 to evade campaign finance laws in a separate case. Prosecutors said the case was similar to the one DeLay was being sentenced for.

But not long after Cloeren began testifying, Senior Judge Pat Priest declined to hear the testimony, saying prosecutors couldn't prove the businessman's claims beyond a reasonable doubt.
parados

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 02:43 pm
@djjd62,
I wonder of High Seas thinks they can still call a mistrial....
0 Replies