Why believe in god? The theist perspective.

Finn dAbuzz

Tue 7 May, 2013 08:54 pm
@FBM,
If you insist on debating the issue of whether or not God exists at the level of base "religious" beliefs then you will certainly score all sorts of illusory points, but you will not find me engaged.

Rise up.
FBM

Wed 8 May, 2013 12:15 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
OK. If you don't want to discuss what religions say about their own god(s), don't. I'm not interested in what individuals imagine, just in the bad ideas that groups promote that harm society.
spendius

Wed 8 May, 2013 03:52 am
@FBM,
But "bad" and "harm" need explanation. President Eisenhower warned of the dangers of the "military/industrial" complex.

Ivan Illich warned against the medical profession and the educational establishment. How about banking? Media?

We are all interested in bad ideas that harm society. It's a pretty dire idea to be asserting what "bad" and "harm" means for selfish reasons.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Wed 8 May, 2013 08:13 pm
@FBM,
And you clearly are not interested in the good ideas that groups promote that benefit society as that too is part of the story of religion.
0 Replies

FBM

Wed 8 May, 2013 08:54 pm
A: This thread isn't about banking or industry, so those are red herrings.

B: I don't deny that some good things are connected with religion, but that doesn't address the question of whether or not one should believe in a god sans evidence. Also a red herring.
Finn dAbuzz

Wed 8 May, 2013 09:11 pm
@FBM,
A: This thread is not about religion (Or at least the title suggests it isn't)

B: All of your arguments pertain to religion, not the existence of God
FBM

Wed 8 May, 2013 09:57 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
We find gods alleged by religions, not by secular groups. They're tightly interwoven. The only atheistic religion I know of is Buddhism.

The OP asks 'Why believe in god? The theist perspective.' Do you want to censor all non-theists' input? I'm simply expounding on the question. Why believe in your particular god if there is no evidence that such a thing exists outside of your own imagination?
0 Replies

tenderfoot

Tue 30 Jul, 2013 01:24 am
@George,
George wrote:

fresco~

You call my belief in God "a questionable insurance policy".
I disagree. A belief in God does not necessarily require belief in an
afterlife, which is what I assume is the insurance policy.

You go on to say:
"In addition, there is the argument that what we think of as 'self' is largely
a product of social relationships."
I ain't even going there.
bookmark.
~George
0 Replies

BryanLegend

Thu 5 Dec, 2013 09:52 pm
Hi guys, I'm new, and I'm a christian:)
rosborne979

Fri 6 Dec, 2013 08:42 am
@BryanLegend,
BryanLegend wrote:
Hi guys, I'm new, and I'm a christian:)

Why?
spendius

Fri 6 Dec, 2013 06:10 pm
@rosborne979,
Maybe it's because most other people around here are Christians and when in Rome etc etc.
BryanLegend

Fri 6 Dec, 2013 08:55 pm
@rosborne979,
Are you asking why I believe in Jesus Christ? There are two reasons mainly. One, I believe that there is a God that created us, but because of sin, we were separated from God. Jesus Christ was sent to earth to save us, so that we may continue to be in a perfect relationship with God. Second, I have seen for myself the positive impact of Jesus in my life and also in the lives of my family and friends:)
rosborne979

Fri 6 Dec, 2013 09:40 pm
@BryanLegend,
BryanLegend wrote:
Are you asking why I believe in Jesus Christ?

No. I'm asking why you are a Christian and not something else. If you had been born in a different place and not exposed to the bible as a child, might you now be a Hindu, or a Deist, or something else?

Have you learned other religions equally and decided that Christianity is the one you prefer to believe, or is Christianity merely the belief given to you by your family?
BryanLegend

Fri 6 Dec, 2013 10:17 pm
@rosborne979,
Interesting question. I believe in the Christian doctrine of predestination, which means our salvation or damnation is willed by God. Therefore, no matter the circumstance I was born in, as long as I am predestined, I will be a Christian.
fresco

Sat 7 Dec, 2013 02:06 am
@spendius,
Quote:
Maybe it's because most other people around here are Christians and when in Rome etc etc

Round our way, that might account for Bryan's Insha'Allah syndrome ! Very Happy
BryanLegend

Sat 7 Dec, 2013 02:24 am
@fresco,
Hey, syndrome sounds like an illness. Sometimes submission isn't that bad at all:)
fresco

Sat 7 Dec, 2013 04:01 am
@BryanLegend,
S & M practitioners would certainly agree with you ! Mr. Green
0 Replies

Setanta

Sat 7 Dec, 2013 05:36 am
@BryanLegend,
Try abject abdication of one's intelligence and agency.
rosborne979

Sat 7 Dec, 2013 06:54 am
@BryanLegend,
Ok. Why do you believe in predestination? What caused you to recognize it and to believe it?
BryanLegend

Sat 7 Dec, 2013 07:52 pm
@Setanta,
Submission not necessarily means abdicating one's intelligence and agency. We all submit to certain people in our lives. Our government, our parents, the law etc. Not submitting could lead to chaos, so submission is not a bad thing
0 Replies