Why believe in god? The theist perspective.

edgarblythe

Mon 22 Nov, 2010 09:33 pm
@msolga,
If they were (censored) on the other thread, what makes you think it will get better on this one?
edit
This comment aimed at the ones trashing the other thread only
msolga

Mon 22 Nov, 2010 09:34 pm
@edgarblythe,
Not sure what you're saying, edgar.
edgarblythe

Mon 22 Nov, 2010 09:36 pm
@msolga,
If they were bent on trashing the atheist thread, what makes you think they will be better behaved on this one?
Thomas

Mon 22 Nov, 2010 09:38 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
If they were bent on trashing the atheist thread, what makes you think they will be better behaved on this one?

Because it's not trashing when they say the same things in this thread.
Eorl

Mon 22 Nov, 2010 09:43 pm
@edgarblythe,
I think the point is rather than have a proposition to destroy (atheism), here there is the opportunity to put forward the theist ideal.

The reason it's not working is, I think, arrogance. Many theists think their religion is so far beyond needing justification that the suggestion is offensive to them. Also, they find the atheists proposition to be nothing more than an attack on their theism, rather than a worldview to be understood and maybe even respected.
(Note, I said "many", not "all")
msolga

Mon 22 Nov, 2010 09:48 pm
@edgarblythe,
Ah, I see.
That is possible, of course.
But, just for this once, I would like theists state the positives of their beliefs.
Too often their "arguments" have been negative ones, in opposition to atheism.
I would really like to hear what they have to say.
I'm certain the atheists here would give anyone who made effort to do so a fair hearing.
Speaking personally, I am not remotely threatened by the beliefs of theists. Or the fact that their beliefs are so different to mine.
And I am not motivated by some burning need to shoot their beliefs down.

edgarblythe

Mon 22 Nov, 2010 09:51 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

edgarblythe wrote:

Because it's not trashing when they say the same things in this thread.

Well, yeah - I guess.
0 Replies

Thomas

Mon 22 Nov, 2010 09:51 pm
@Eorl,
Eorl wrote:
The reason it's not working is, I think, arrogance.

This thread is still young. Before we declare it's not working and speculate about reasons, why don't we give it a chance to work?
msolga

Mon 22 Nov, 2010 09:52 pm
@Thomas,
Yes, please.
0 Replies

Eorl

Mon 22 Nov, 2010 09:54 pm
@Thomas,
Fair call, sorry.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Mon 22 Nov, 2010 10:00 pm
I am going to butt out, but I reserve the option to look in now and again.
0 Replies

msolga

Mon 22 Nov, 2010 10:02 pm
Just a very brief statement, in response to Georgeob's earlier concerns ..
just to clarify thing, OK?
I have no intention of "running" this thread with some preordained conclusion or "outcome" in mind.
From this point on, I intend to be a contributor, just like the rest of you, OK?

Please continue now ...

0 Replies

JTT

Tue 23 Nov, 2010 12:06 am
Biblemarked
0 Replies

aidan

Tue 23 Nov, 2010 01:00 am
@plainoldme,
Quote:
a spy in the house of love.

Is that like a 'thief on Sunday morning@?

POM - I love that line -' I'm a spy in the house of love and I can't be trusted'

What song is that from - I can hear it in my head - I think it's Bruce Springsteen....
He's also like the thief on Sunday morning- but I know which song that is... okay - now I gotta listen to Bruce all the way to work to find those lines.

Thank you POM for influencing my hymns for the day.!

fresco

Tue 23 Nov, 2010 01:15 am
Speaking as an atheist, I see no reason why an individual theist would consider justifying his/her position. For whatever reason they base their peace of mind (aka self integrity) on "an insurance policy" which atheists like me see as fraudulent. However, as part of a potentially sociopathic force, theists may be seen by atheists as being ultimately "guilty by association" of corporate crimes against humanity. Of course, theists are either unaware, or would deny such complicity.
msolga

Tue 23 Nov, 2010 03:40 am
@fresco,
Quote:
Speaking as an atheist, I see no reason why an individual theist would consider justifying his/her position. ....

And I can see that individual theists might well find that a rather daunting thing to do. I guess I can understand that.
But I wish that they would be willing to engage with us in a discussion about their beliefs. I can't recall such an exchange (from the theist perspective) ever having occurred here before. Our discussions are generally the other way around .. starting from an atheist perspective, with theists commenting on atheism. But rarely talking about their own beliefs.

Quote:
I think the point is rather than have a proposition to destroy (atheism), here there is the opportunity to put forward the theist ideal.

0 Replies

Ionus

Tue 23 Nov, 2010 03:48 am
@msolga,
Quote:
You're a theist with a habit
Isnt that a nun ?
msolga

Tue 23 Nov, 2010 04:08 am
@Ionus,
Ha. It is too!
0 Replies

hingehead

Tue 23 Nov, 2010 05:09 am
I'm a tad confused why we get so many more theists on the atheist thread and sweet fa on the theist thread. Oh yeah. Troll nation.
Setanta

Tue 23 Nov, 2010 06:17 am
Well, this ain't no fun for 'em . . . they'd much rather stomp all over a thread about atheism.
0 Replies