Why believe in god? The theist perspective.

msolga

Mon 22 Nov, 2010 07:46 pm
I personally don’t believe in a god, but I have started this discussion thread for those A2Kers who do.

Why? : Because I have seen post after post, thread after thread, disrupted by theist A2Kers arguing against atheism. Generally on threads created for entirely different purposes. I'm surprised one of you hasn't created a thread for this purpose already.

We’ve heard any number of objections to atheism from theists, but very little, any any real detail, from those same posters about their own beliefs.
About why they believe theism is a better way. And why they hold the beliefs they do.

So here’s an opportunity for theists to state their position in much more detail. I hope you take the opportunity to.

Quote:
Theism, in the broadest sense, is the belief that at least one deity exists.[1][2] In a more specific sense, theism refers to a doctrine concerning the nature of a monotheistic God and God's relationship to the universe.[3] Theism, in this specific sense, conceives of God as personal, present and active in the governance and organization of the world and the universe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theism

As a starting point for such a discussion, I Googled “why believe in god?” and this is one of the first responses I received.
As reasonable a starting point for discussion as any, I guess ...

Quote:
Why Believe In God?

If someone were to ask you the question, “Why believe in God?” what would you say? Would you be able to answer his or her question or would you just answer by saying, “Because He is here”? Consider the following points.

Why believe in God? We can feel Him calling us.
Every culture throughout history has been convinced that there is a higher power that watches over them. This desire to reach for that higher power is man’s search to get reconnected to God. All of these people have the idea of God in their consciousness because deep in their hearts they know that He is there (Romans 1-2). Who put the desire in their hearts as well as our hearts that we should seek after Him? God did.

Why believe in God? The complexity of all life and of our planet
When we look to all of science, we can see that there is order and that there is a definite pattern to the layout and structure of not only the human body, but also the universe in which we live.

The distinguished astronomer Sir Frederick Hoyle showed how amino acids randomly coming together in a human cell are mathematically absurd. Sir Hoyle illustrated the weakness of "chance" with the following analogy: "What are the chances that a tornado might blow through a junkyard containing all the parts of a 747, accidentally assemble them into a plane, and leave it ready for take-off? The possibilities are so small as to be negligible even if a tornado were to blow through enough junkyards to fill the whole universe!"

Who created this universe in such a set a pattern that no man, when he looks carefully enough, can deny that the hand of God was used in its creation?

Why believe in God? Sense of right and wrong
Even from our earliest years we all have an innate sense of right and wrong. This “conscience,” as the world refers to it, keeps us in a moral as well as ethical balance and without it the world would break down into total chaos. Who put that sense of right and wrong in us? God did.

Why believe in God? The Bible
The endurance and longevity of the Bible should help us to see that there is a Creator. The Bible has existed for years, even though there have been numerous attempts to destroy or discredit it.

The Bible has existed for centuries and is still the best-selling and most read book in the world. Who made sure that the Bible would be around from generation to generation in order to ensure that His Word could still be read? God did.

Why believe in God? Jesus Christ
No other religious leader, not Buddha, Mohammed, or Confucius has ever claimed to be the Son of God. That is what Jesus did; He claimed to be God in the flesh. He not only claimed to be God, He backed up His claims through His life, death, and resurrection.

The presence of Jesus can still be felt today -- not only in all the lives that have been changed by Him, but also by the very idea that the structure and keeping of time has evolved around His birth. Who made sure that we would never forget His Son? God did.

Why believe in God? These are only five of the many reasons that point to the existence of God. Look at them carefully and you to will see that God has left evidence for us to see and to know that He is here!

http://www.allaboutphilosophy.org/why-believe-in-god-faq.htm

OK, over to you.
Go for it.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 66 • Views: 72,509 • Replies: 602
Topic Closed

Setanta

Mon 22 Nov, 2010 07:55 pm
I could never be a theist . . . God forbid . . .
msolga

Mon 22 Nov, 2010 07:58 pm
@Setanta,
Let the theists speak, Setanta. Smile
I am genuinely interested in what they'll have to say.
msolga

Mon 22 Nov, 2010 08:21 pm
@msolga,
Quiet A2K time right now.
I guess we'll be hearing from them later on ...
0 Replies

Setanta

Mon 22 Nov, 2010 08:23 pm
It's just after 9:00 pm Eastern time--for much of the United States (and, like it or not, that's where most members are), it is dinner time, or just after.
msolga

Mon 22 Nov, 2010 08:25 pm
@Setanta,
That's fine.
I'm used to being in the wrong time zone. Smile
0 Replies

plainoldme

Mon 22 Nov, 2010 08:26 pm
God is a habit.
msolga

Mon 22 Nov, 2010 08:29 pm
@plainoldme,
You're a theist with a habit, POM? Wink
plainoldme

Mon 22 Nov, 2010 08:33 pm
@msolga,
No, I'm not a theist, but a spy in the house of love.
msolga

Mon 22 Nov, 2010 08:47 pm
@plainoldme,
OK, then.
Spy away.
I'm sure you're not alone. Smile

Part of what motivated me to start this thread ...
Just one small episode yesterday ..
I posted briefly about my own working definition of atheism. (I am an atheist, obviously.)
On a thread about atheism.
In response, I received what I'd describe as sneering & derision .. from a theist. Oh & a thumbs down, too. Smile

What I'm trying to say is this.
The theist "position" I constantly come across here is negative in tone. Aetheists are constantly being told what's wrong with their chosen beliefs by theists who very rarely clearly state their own position to be subject to similar scrutiny.

So that's what I'm hoping for here.
For theists to state their own positions. I want to know what they believe & why they believe it.
The same as aetheists are prepared to do.

I'm hoping - when & if - any do post here, that we'll respond to their thoughts with considerably more tolerance & grace than has been shown to us on occasion.
Below viewing threshold (view)
hingehead

Mon 22 Nov, 2010 08:54 pm
@georgeob1,
Hello Mr Pot. What a lovely christian attitude you have.
msolga

Mon 22 Nov, 2010 09:00 pm
@georgeob1,
George, are you interested in talking about your beliefs in god or not?
If so, I'd really like to hear about them.
Just this once.
Instead of heaping crap on those whose perspectives you don't like.

Nastiness & rudeness are no sorts of "arguments".

I am not remotely interested in having an online barny with you. It's a total waste of time. All you are attempting to do (as usual) is to deflect from the purpose of the thread. If you don't like it, then why not just go away & leave it to those who might just want to participate? You never know!
Below viewing threshold (view)
Thomas

Mon 22 Nov, 2010 09:10 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
How perfectly nice !! The self appointed schoolmarm of A2K is disappointed at all those "theists" who intrusively comment on a thread reserved for mutual back scratching by insecure athiests. So as a magnaminious gesture of fairness she commands all those nasty "theists" to rationalize their beliefs on a thread that she creates and will, of course, in her own inimitable way, supervise, judging content and liberally scolding those whose words or behavior don't fit in her her narrow little (and highly judgmental & prescriptive) mind. The remarkable thing here is that she apparently expects adults to actually follow her tidy little script.

Thanks for your eloquent defense of theism.
0 Replies

msolga

Mon 22 Nov, 2010 09:11 pm
@georgeob1,
Whatever, George ...

Me, I can't see what the problem is.
Atheists are prepared to talk about their beliefs. And expose them to scrutiny & discussion.
So why not theists like you, too?
Seems fair enough to me.

0 Replies

George

Mon 22 Nov, 2010 09:20 pm
I believe in God.

I'm not ashamed of it, but I don't make big deal out of it either. My
belief in God is a result of my experience of the world. We all live in
the same world, but each reacts to it in a different way. I can't prove
that God exists and I won't try. Yes, that's unreasonable. So sue me.

msolga

Mon 22 Nov, 2010 09:23 pm
@George,
Thank you, George.
Why would you be ashamed, or why would anyone want to sue you for your religious beliefs?
Not so. Smile
littlek

Mon 22 Nov, 2010 09:26 pm
@George,
I don't think anything you said was at all unreasonable, George!
0 Replies

littlek

Mon 22 Nov, 2010 09:27 pm
@hingehead,
Quote:
Hello Mr Pot.

No kidding! What irony that post was. Come on, georgeob1 - educate (rather than berate) us.
0 Replies