molecularly characterized = with molecular features?

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2010 12:17 am

And the feature is "recognized one or another autoimmune phenotype?"

That is: the primary immunodeficiency diseases have the feature?

Context:

Attendees at the Colloquium noted the surprisingly large number of primary immunodeficiency diseases already molecularly characterized in which there is recognized one or another autoimmune phenotype [4]. Those discussed particularly at the meeting are shown in Table 1.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 658 • Replies: 8
No top replies

McTag

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2010 02:47 am
@oristarA,

This is difficult English, jargon for the most part imho.

"characterised by" means, having (the following) recognisable features in common
oristarA

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2010 03:51 am
@McTag,
Thanks.
With your explanation, we've moved a step forward. Very Happy
Still waiting though.
McTag

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2010 05:12 am
@oristarA,

Please yourself.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2010 12:51 pm
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

And the feature is "recognized one or another autoimmune phenotype?"

That is: the primary immunodeficiency diseases have the feature?

Context:

Attendees at the Colloquium noted the surprisingly large number of primary immunodeficiency diseases already molecularly characterized in which there is recognized one or another autoimmune phenotype [4]. Those discussed particularly at the meeting are shown in Table 1.

Let's break it down into parts.

primary immunodeficiency diseases = autoimmune diseases that are congenital = inherited as a chromosomal deficiency and present since birth. This contrasts with acquired autoimmune diseases that arise as a result of infection, other diseases, or possible environmental exposures.

molecularly charactarized = the molecular characterization (=gene expression) of a particular primary immunodeficiency disease.

autoimmune phenotype = all of the observable traits of a particular autoimmune disease.

So, a large number of molecular characterizations of primary immunodeficiency diseases have been completed. These immunodeficiencies are present in one or more autoimmune phenotypes.

I think the focus of this statement are the words "surprisingly large" and "already". This is a fairly new research field and they were somewhat amazed at how much they'd accomplished in such a short time.
oristarA

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2010 08:46 pm
@JPB,

Thank you JPB.

Since there is a conjunction "in which," so, the word "which" refers to the sentence ("the surprisingly large number of primary immunodeficiency diseases already molecularly characterized")?

That is: the primary immunodeficiency diseases present before us the traits of autoimmune (autoimmune phenotype)?
JPB

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2010 08:31 am
@oristarA,
I'm sorry, ori, I don't understand your question.
oristarA

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2010 12:56 am
@JPB,

In short, which = ?
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2010 10:16 pm
@JPB,
Quote:
JPB wrote:
These immunodeficiencies are present in one or more autoimmune phenotypes

I read the sentence as:
These immunodeficiency diseases are characterized with one or more autoimmune phenotypes.

Am I on the right track?
0 Replies