What is the meaning of "get the fiscal house in order"?

Io

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2010 11:44 pm
President Obama often talks about "getting the fiscal house in order". What does "fiscal house" mean? Fiscal system? Or fiscal institutions? Does it mean to restore the order of fiscal system?

Thanks a lot! :-)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 5,760 • Replies: 2
No top replies

DrDick

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2010 01:29 am
@Io ,
I would submit the statement is focused on any and all government funded programs and entities, i.e. the federal budget. This pretty much means the entire fiscal system across federal, state, local, and private boundaries. With examples like the bail outs of private industry, the mortgage crisis, health care, etc. the "fiscal house" would appear to be an utterly complex system that ultimately in one way or another ties back into federal regulation.

IMO, the statement is intended to say, as a nation we need a balanced budget. The issue then becomes the differences in opinion on how we get there. What programs are important, what programs must be cut, and how do we pay for it all?
0 Replies

laughoutlood

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2010 05:20 am
@Io ,
Quote:
What is the meaning of "get the fiscal house in order"?

It's sounds like a reality tv show where a major refurb is required.
0 Replies