Different types of subjunctive

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2010 02:55 pm
I have been studying the subjunctive and got a lot of questions. Here it is one of them.

I have read that all three variants are possible

1) It’s time you had been there
2) It’s time you were there
3) It’s time you be there

I understand that some of these examples are not conventional as for their usage however they are grammatical and correct.

Let me give you and example for the first one

And it's high time you had done with it,' says she." (by Katherine Mansfield, PICTURES)

The third one is also a bit rare but I think you won't be surprised at its existence.

1) Is the first construction with the perfect subjunctive relatively often used in your place?
2) What is the difference between the 2 and the 3?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,102 • Replies: 4
No top replies

contrex

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2010 04:49 am
Quote:
they are grammatical and correct.

No.

1 is never seen
2 is the usual
3 is never seen

"had done" is a phrasal verb meaning "finished with" and is not to be considered a guide to using the subjunctive.
ZIPPERDER

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2010 01:02 am
@contrex,
Well, they are correct although they can be found in Old English. You just never realized that they are there. Check these out (perfect subjunctive)

......accursed hound is to return to the city to-night, it is high time he had left the shore." , Suddenly the man at the masthead announced a sail in sight. (by William Lightfoot Visscher)

Now the rich merchant deep in last weeks papers thrown aside till sunday — is reminded by his better half that it is high time he had dressed for church — most willingly would he give the church the go by......

It is high time they had come to treat those who differ from them in matters of .......(Watchman)

Present Subjunctive

I wish I be not now proud indeed ! (by James Ballantyne - 1824)

To say that they are not correct is not correct. They are not used anymore but are correct.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2010 01:15 am
If you know so much, why ask here?
ZIPPERDER

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2010 03:12 am
@contrex,
The answer is in my question.

1) Is the first construction with the perfect subjunctive relatively often used in your place?

2) The second question depended on the answer to come.

0 Replies