Yeast rolls

ossobuco

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2010 09:14 pm
@boomerang,
Lots of good recipes in Carol Field's The Italian Baker - she is pretty knowledgeable about different country breads in different areas, and her recipes give details about hand kneading and using a mixer and using a processor.
It's just one book of many good ones out there, but mine opens itself when I walk by.

One thing odd happened to me and my pizza this week. I sometimes freeze pizza dough, which I think of as a big no no, it's never as good, or so it seems. But this time, when I was rolling it out with a little flour on the tile, I tossed the wrong flour, and little did I know that would matter. Picking up the wrong bag from the cabinet, I used buckwheat flour, which I sometimes like to put a bit of in breads. I was really pleased how the dough stopped being so recalcitrant and was easily making a nice big circle without any sturm and drang. But all of a sudden, as the buckwheat started to actually mix in some with the dough, the dough got oddly flatter faster. And didn't puff up at all on baking. Maybe it was a coincidence and due to the dough having been frozen, but I've not had that happen before quite that way.
I'm going to have to read up on buckwheat...
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2010 05:37 am
Here's a list of Eden Foods distributors within 100 miles of the 92701 zipcode.

http://www.edenfoods.com/storelocator/search.php?zipcode=97201&distance=100&action=Search

Here's the organic barley malt syrup they produce. You should be able to find it locally at one of the stores listed above, or just order it from their website.

http://www.edenfoods.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=104050

http://www.edenfoods.com/store/images/products/zoom/104050.jpg
boomerang

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2010 02:47 pm
@Butrflynet,
Thanks! I know where a New Seasons is so I'll check there.

Today I'm trying the eHow recipe except that I had to use club soda instead of lemon lime soda.
boomerang

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2010 06:36 pm
@boomerang,
Yum! This recipe is a keeper. Great flavor and texture.

The dough was a little soggy when I punched it down so I went ahead and formed a loaf for the second rise instead of trying to do rolls. It flattened out a bit too much for beauty and still seemed a bit loose so I cooked it at 400 with a steam pan. The crust is crisp and the interior is very light. It has a good yeasty flavor.

I think the temperature (coldish) and the humidity (low) in my house is having an effect on how the dough rises.
Butrflynet

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2010 08:05 pm
@boomerang,
Did it have the malty flavor you've been striving for? If so, what did you use?
boomerang

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2010 10:17 am
@Butrflynet,
No.... not really. It had a good yeasty flavor but I added 1/4 of yeast. I still haven't made it to the store that sells the malted syrup. I tend not to shop in the days leading up to a holiday.

I think I'll try the boiled dough recipe today, maybe CJanes. That photo is just too tempting!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2010 11:12 am
Everyone LOVED that bread, CJane! Thank you for the recipe.
CalamityJane

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2010 11:29 am
@boomerang,
Oh, I am glad you liked them, boomer, we love them too. You can make a pretzl
shape out of the dough too. We eat them with butter, mmhhh so good.

http://www.oktoberfest2004.de/pics_tradition/trad_brezn-04.jpg
ossobuco

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2010 01:29 pm
@CalamityJane,
I'm raring to try CJane's rolls.. sometime this weekend.
I looked for a translation, as my efforts re grams didn't make sense, and found this easier-for-me recipe:

Laugensemmel rolls - via CJane (Hah, I have a Recipes from A2k File of things I want to cook...)

quoting the link at the end of this Cooking Light website:
Welcome to the Kitchen!
Laugen Rolls
These are a specialty of the southern part of Germany, where I grew up. Boiling them in baking soda water gives them a shiny brown coating, and gives them their unique taste. To taste the difference, put some rolls directly onto the cookie sheet, without dipping them in the soda water. They are delicious either way.

4 cups flour,
1 Tablespoon of dry yeast,
2 Teaspoons salt,
2 cups warm water.
Mix the dry ingredients, stir in the 2 cups of warm water until thoroughly mixed. Cover and let rise until doubled (about 1 hour).
1/4 cup baking soda,
5 cups water.
Grease cookie sheets. Bring the baking soda to boil in the quart of water.
Preheat oven to 400 F.

Turn dough out onto floured surface, cut off pieces and shape into 2-3" balls.
Let them rest for a few minutes, then flatten them.
Carefully drop them upside down into the soda water. Let the water come back up to a boil then fish them back out with a strainer spoon. (The longer you leave them in there the stronger they will taste, experiment until you find the strength you like. You can also increase the amount of baking soda in the water while leaving the time the same to increase the taste.)
Set on greased cookie sheet. Slit tops and bake for 15(soft)-25min(hard).
Remove onto rack to cool. Taste best fresh. Traditionally served with unsalted butter, ham and cheese optional. They can also be formed into pretzels. They look very nice with their shiny dark brown crust and the white slit on top.

http://community.cookinglight.com/showthread.php?t=26945

There is another recipe and comments after that.. also helpful.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2010 01:34 pm
I also bought some rye flour recently. Haven't made rye bread in ages; I remember it as a wet dough.

any advice or favorite recipes?
CalamityJane

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2010 01:37 pm
That's great, osso, that you found the american version of it. I do better with
gram and liter as I have a serving cup for it, but it shows me the ounce and lb.
too. I like mine fresh and with sweet butter only.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2010 01:46 pm
@CalamityJane,
Speaking of serving cups, I hate my glass measuring cup, clearly meant for people to hold in their left hand to see the most useful guide marks. I'm always twisting and writhing just to measure, say, 1/2 c. (I tossed my ugly plastic measuring cups with no regrets and am not willing to spring for a new set of stainless steel ones.)
My secondary go-to measuring cup is a plastic freebie for measuring doggie kibble..
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2010 07:48 pm
@ossobuco,
I make Limpa bread whenever I have some rye flour. Tried it about two months ago for the first time since moving to ABQ and it didn't turn out so well. Not sure what went wrong. I think it needed a lot more moisture. Here's a link to two recipes I've tried:

http://able2know.org/topic/160887-1
boomerang

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2010 08:04 pm
I found barley malt syrup today! Thanks again Butryflynet -- it was at one of the stores on your list!

I didn't make bread though.

It was late in the day by the time I got to the store and they make really good bread at this particular store so I just bought some.

One thing I've learned from this week's experience is that making bread is not nearly as labor intensive as I remember it being. I don't have a stand mixer with bread hooks but I've found it very threaputic to knead dough and be patient.
Setanta

Reply Sat 27 Nov, 2010 04:02 am
Bread making requires time more than labor. If you can, to your own satisfaction, fill the time waiting for it to rise, it's a snap.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2010 08:09 pm
I got a response from Natalie at Tulsa World today:

Quote:

Hi Lynn,

I just looked in my Pennington's cookbook file, and sadly there is no dinner roll recipe. Actually, the only bread recipe is for an apple quick bread. I don't have a hardbound book, but rather just photocopies of each page, which I keep in a file folder. On the "cover," it says it's by "Coleman Productions" in Tulsa with recipes by Judy Pennington-Singleterry. I wish I could tell you more or where you could find a copy, but I have never been able to find a source. If there's a specific recipe (besides the rolls) from Pennington's you're looking for, I would be glad to see if it's in the book and share it with you.

Best wishes,
Natalie

Natalie Mikles
Food Writer
Tulsa World
315 S. Boulder Ave.
Tulsa, OK 74103
(918) 581-8486
[email protected]
www.tulsaworld.com

I told her you would probably be willing to share with her if you were able to adapt a recipe that came very close to the Pennington rolls.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2010 08:17 pm
@Butrflynet,
Thank, I'll play..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2010 08:18 pm
@Butrflynet,
Thank, I'll play..

I am working to not buy store bread. Good luck, chick.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2010 08:20 pm
@boomerang,
I have always liked kneading dough. Especially the doughs one is advised to whap.. (the wet ones).
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2010 08:22 pm
@ossobuco,
Ignore, my response not re pennington rolls.
0 Replies