Yeast rolls

boomerang

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 07:26 pm
@Butrflynet,
Cool! Thank you!
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 08:34 pm
That's probably a better contact than I could give you since she has an old Pennington's recipe book. But if you don't get a response from her, try the Tulsa World's main food reviewer, Scott Cherry. (I assume his e-mail addy follows the same [email protected]...?)

Also, I think I still have a hand-me-down recipe from my husband's late grandmother for yeast rolls just like you describe.
boomerang

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2010 08:34 am
@Eva,
Thanks, Eva!

I think that I might try one of these recipes today but I have to find out what's shaking around the house first.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2010 12:58 pm
Trial and error, huh? So, the boys will be eating lots of bread rolls in the weeks to come, no?
boomerang

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2010 01:54 pm
@Setanta,
Right now it's not looking like anyone is going to have any bread any time soon, dang it.

My day started out calmly enough -- trying to find a venue for Mo's upcoming birthday party (were bringing in a herpetologist so Mr. B doesn't want to have it at the house, the big chicken). Then Mr. B decided to rip out the bathroom windows. Then I had to clean the bathroom. And the patio. And that led to raking and weeding the yard. Then a huge pile of firewood was delivered and that has to be stacked. When that's all done I have to go look at tile.

The boys might not be eating at all this week at this rate.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2010 01:58 pm
Don't they get kinda cranky when you don't feed 'em?
boomerang

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2010 02:13 pm
@Setanta,
We'll find out!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2010 02:14 pm
I like yer style, Baby ! ! !
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2010 12:01 am
This might be worth giving a try. It is from my favorite baking site:

http://www.baking911.com/bread/101_terms.htm

Quote:
Diastatic Malt Diastatic malt powder is powdered malted grain, usually barley, but wheat, and rice may also be malted. Having some around in long fermented breads is very important. Today's bread flours, as well as having uniformly high gluten content (typically 13%), also contain diastatic enzymes and dough conditioners. "Diastatic" refers to the diastatic enzymes that are created as the grain sprouts. These convert starches to sugars, which yeast eats. Maltose, a simple sugar that yeasties love is usually made in abundance by the enzymes. Malt can be diastatic or non-diastatic. Non-diastatic is simply added as a sweetener, diastatic malt breaks down the starch in dough to yield sugars on which the yeast can feed, allowing the bread's rise to go on much longer than otherwise would be expected. Dough conditioners can have profound effects towards helping the gluten to hang together long enough to support a phenomenal rise.

You can make your own: sprout a cup of wheat berries by covering them with water in a jar for 12 or so hours, dump out the water & rinse with clean water, and place the jar in a darkish, warmish, place. Rinse the berries every day with clean water and return to their place. In 2-3 days they will begin to sprout. When the sprout is as long as the berries themselves, dump them out on paper towels, dry them off, and set on a cookie sheet in the sun for a day or so to dry out. Then put the cookie sheet in a 100 degree F oven for an hour or three. Do not let the temp get above 130 degree F or the enzymes will be destroyed. Then grind the dried malted berries into flour, and use it in your favorite recipe at a rate of approx. 1 teaspoon per loaf. I did this for the first time last week, and the bread made with is has a lovely wheaty note.

0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2010 11:52 am
I think I'm going to try the Tom Colicchio recipe today but I'm going to up the yeast content a bit and see what happens. I'm going to have to use dark corn syrup because I couldn't find barley malt syrup.
Setanta

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2010 11:56 am
@boomerang,
To get barley malt syrup, try a liquor store. It is most commonly used in the home-brewing of beer. Call around to see what you can find.
boomerang

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2010 11:57 am
@Setanta,
Good idea! There are a lot of home brew places around here that might carry such a thing!
boomerang

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2010 12:46 pm
@boomerang,
I'm going to keep track of my recipe and modifications here so if it turns out good or if it's a flop I'll know what I did....

2 cups four
3/4 t kosher salt

3/4 cups milk heated to 110
1 t dark corn syrup
21 g yeast (almost double what the recipe calls for)
1/4 c lemon-lime soda (not called for but fun to watch!)
2 1/2 T softened unsalted butter

kneaded, left to rise...

I was worried that the extra liquid (lemon lime soda) would make the dough runny but I think it just kind of balanced the extra yeast because the dough turned out very nice.
boomerang

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2010 06:54 pm
It turned out pretty good! Mr. B really likes them. I'm a bit more critical.

They had a wonderful texture -- crispy outside with just a bit of tooth on the inside. "It's a biscuit on the inside and bread on the outside" according to Mr. B.

It has a nice yeasty taste but not quite what I wanted... you don't get that malty fix.

My gram calculations were off. Yeast doesn't follow the typical gram to teaspoon formula, I've since discovered. 2 1/4 teaspoons of yeast = 7 grams so instead of adding almost double the yeast I added about 2.75 times the amount of yeast.

I'm going to keep tweaking to try to get the flavor I'm after but I would recommend trying this recipe for fairly effortless and pretty good results.

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2010 07:12 pm
@boomerang,
You never have to worry about dough being "runny." Once the yeast gets to work, you simply continue to work flour into the liquid until you get the consistency you want.
boomerang

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2010 07:26 pm
@Setanta,
I've had some soggy dough before. But it was in a "no knead" recipe so there wasn't much leeway. Maybe I had bad yeast?

I'm a pretty good baker but I haven't made much bread -- there are so many good bakeries around here that it hasn't been necessary. Being after a specific flavor changes things.

Mr. B liked today's results enough that he's not questioning my ingredient search but instead making suggestions on where to get our hands on stuff!
Setanta

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2010 07:31 pm
@boomerang,
No, i don't think your yeast was bad--my remark assumed that you would be kneading the bread dough.

Is Mr. Boom going to run out and get you some barley malt?
ossobuco

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2010 07:34 pm
@boomerang,
Some italian doughs regional doughs are quite wet, with instructions that they are difficult to hand knead. No kidding. I tried it once and probably changed the results by giving up and adding flour I shouldn't have - the book strongly recommended using a mixer with paddle. I don't have enough experience with quite wet doughs to know what the different results would be to more ordinary proportions.
boomerang

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2010 07:48 pm
@Setanta,
I don't know. But his office is just a half mile from the mill that is Bob's Red Mill so I might get some action on the barley malt four!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2010 07:49 pm
@ossobuco,
Ohhhh! Interesting.

I think bread might be my winter project. I have a new oven and that changes everything!