Table manners for a 6 year old

chai2

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2010 10:08 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

I certainly agree that teaching manners and acceptable public behavior is an essential part of successful child-rearing. I also agree with Francis that inculcating good manners is no guarantee that a "good" person will result.

yeah, look at me.

bad to the bone.
Setanta

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2010 10:56 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
look at me.

I'd rather not . . .
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2010 12:36 am
@MonaLeeza,
Quote:
This is only true if you are unlucky enough to have a child with a very severe developmental or physical disability that makes them incapable of eating nicely.

Nothing of that sort. Kids are stupid and careless. Neither am I trying to prove that its beyond human efforts to teach a child table manners.

In fact the boogey man or police man, or going to Jail threats work with Kids if we have to teach them good behavior. In our case the drama actually took place.

So I shared a personal experience. It did a play a vital role.
MonaLeeza

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2010 05:19 am
@vinsan,
Quote:
Kids are stupid and careless

You're right, some people are just unlucky.
HexHammer

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2010 06:27 am
@vinsan,
vinsan wrote:

Quote:
This is only true if you are unlucky enough to have a child with a very severe developmental or physical disability that makes them incapable of eating nicely.

Nothing of that sort. Kids are stupid and careless. Neither am I trying to prove that its beyond human efforts to teach a child table manners.

In fact the boogey man or police man, or going to Jail threats work with Kids if we have to teach them good behavior. In our case the drama actually took place.

So I shared a personal experience. It did a play a vital role.
That was the attitude in most western countries 10 years ago, but much has changed in understanding of children. I would humbly suggest you update youself in this area.
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2010 06:28 am
@MonaLeeza,
MonaLeeza wrote:

Quote:
Kids are stupid and careless

You're right, some people are just unlucky.
Ehh..no?
MonaLeeza

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2010 02:12 pm
@HexHammer,
Unlucky to have a parent who starts with the premise that kids are stupid.
chai2

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2010 02:17 pm
@MonaLeeza,
Or to be threatened with the police.

Way to teach a kid to be afraid of those who jobs are to protect and serve.

0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2010 11:00 pm
Quote:
That was the attitude in most western countries 10 years ago, but much has changed in understanding of children. I would humbly suggest you update youself in this area.

I dont understand what has changed really. Do you think a 5 year old can understand that the people who feel irritated with his/her behavior are upset with him just becoz they "think" its not social? Do you think he or any kid at his age, really "understands" manners?

Kids have to be taught in a different way. They do not understand outcomes before hand and are rarely aware of the circumstances. When we tell a kid to behave with threats, we know they arent real. But they only suggest that kid that anti-social behaviors may result in severe consequences.

So if "Western" society treats kids as mature people and think they are equally intelligent as a fully grown human , then I am sorry. I find it utterly foolish.

"Threatening" is a essential part of good behaving. Whether kids or grow ups. Humans or non-humans. It works for every living organism on this earth.

And why would the child I am talking about be unfortunate or unlucky? He was never scolded or beaten up. He was just demonstarted a trick which worked wonderfully, in his case.

I never said that the my nephew was scared of police. It only taught him that his behavior wasnt appropriate in public and hence earned him a punishment, which the cop actually demonstrated.

You could expect my sister to take way his plate or make him sit separate or such other ways and she would have surely done that ultimately. But the guy who happend to be a police, arranged this harmless trick for us which worked like a miracle.

Dont even try to assume that my newphew got traumatised or has became phobic of cops. That would have happened if we would have actually let him enter the prison or had left him alone with that stranger cop.
Ceili

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2010 11:29 pm
And yet, I've talked to police who say this is a problem. Threat away, but if your kids at some point hate the police, look in the mirror.
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2010 11:50 pm
@vinsan,
Bringing up a child has been made into a science, I see you rely on old ignorent understanding of children.

Here are some links which should give a reasonable indication of what people can do with children, by simple means.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-wJAfzZsgM&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmCAWAC9fy0&feature=related

Read some modern books about child raising.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2010 11:59 pm
Am I the only one who finds it amusing that a thread about manners for a 6 year old devolves into bickering and name-calling?

Now cut it out you all, or we are leaving with no dinner.
HexHammer

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2010 12:03 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Am I the only one who finds it amusing that a thread about manners for a 6 year old devolves into bickering and name-calling?

Now cut it out you all, or we are leaving with no dinner.
I don't get you, those who think it's the kids fault are mistaken, it's bad parenting ..that's the essence of the problem here.
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2010 12:17 am
..if I may add, some person here (let me put it as a metaphor) claims the world is flat and blood letting is an excellent medical procedure. First postulant is kinda harmless, but 2nd is disasterous. So you would just ignore such person who will promote poor views with dire consequenses?
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2010 12:27 am
@all

Why would you guys think that when my child misbehaves I would repeat such tricks.

This was a one time thing which just happened to take place. We did not call and ask the policeman to teach my nephew manners. Yes we did not stop him either because we knew it was not going to be serious. The cop was in our acquaintances. Has not the word "Luck" in my post's title clear to any of you?

Morever child raising sciences are still tried and tested pratices. They can be relative to a society, a family or even to a child. I sincerely hope "western" society produces more number of well-behaved children in the future based on this new field of science.

Till then people of the east will try to stop their children from throwing food in the ways they think would suit them best.
roger

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2010 01:01 am
@vinsan,
It worked, right?
vinsan

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2010 02:34 am
@roger,
hell ya.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2010 02:55 am
@vinsan,
Quote:
"Threatening" is a essential part of good behaving. Whether kids or grow ups. Humans or non-humans. It works for every living organism on this earth
Ya,this you can not say, whether it is true or not is of no matter.

with all of the rubbish you have posted on multiple threads please assure me that you have never spent much time in the west, that your gross offense is unintended.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2010 02:59 am
Quote:
My husband has been really crazy about the table manners of our 6 year old recently. Whenever we go out for dinner. He tries to discipline him all the time and He even require me to do the same.
Do the boy a favor and dont put him through that, and put this pressure on your marriage. Stay out of the restaurants until you and hubby can come to an agreement.

Secondly, do the rest of us a favor and keep your kid out of restaurants until he can behave himself. This is something that can be trained/learned at home, please practice before you take the kid on the road.
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2010 03:19 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
with all of the rubbish you have posted on multiple threads please assure me that you have never spent much time in the west, that your gross offense is unintended.

Yes. I am an Indian but that does not make my point a rubbish. I also dont think table manners is a characteristic of the west. If the thread owner intended this topic for the people of the "West" then I should better take the exit now. I guess I have already wasted significant time.... of my own.