Table manners for a 6 year old

Old Goat

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 03:24 am
@NAACP,
Please tell me what NAACP stands for, as I'm curious.

National Association of Adversarial Crackpot Penii, perhaps?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 03:38 am
That's an excellent attempt--however, to an American, NAACP means the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 08:11 am
@NAACP,
NAACP wrote:

Hahahahahaha some people are just straight dellusional. How the flyin' **** are table manners important? Living is so much bigger, get your Be-ing off such meaningless ideals....

The whole point of learning manners, table and otherwise, is so you can fit into society, you idiot. Weren't you taught that it wasn't polite to pick your nose, fart, chew with your mouth open, talk with your mouth full of food, etc? Nobody wants to be subjected to such behaviour, especially when they're eating. What you do in your own home is one thing; what you do in public is another. THAT is the point of learning manners.
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 11:08 am
@Lily626,
Lily626 wrote:

My husband has been really crazy about the table manners of our 6 year old recently. Whenever we go out for dinner. He tries to discipline him all the time and He even require me to do the same. but I think I am having a good time and it is ok for the kids to run a little bit wild. It feels really awkward to show people we are trying so hard to behave our kid. And they wouldn't eve n notice if it weren't for my husband's constant reminding this and that. Desperately need some suggestions.
Too many parents has too little focus on the childs future, but only focus on the moment. A child need skills in adulthood that best can be learned in childhood.

Another thing is many adults blames the child for being impossible to raise, when it is poor parenting skills, time and time again it has been proved that simple messures can change even the most horrid child into a wellbehaved being.
Francis

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 11:25 am
@HexHammer,
I was asking myself what kind of parents raise skinheads and neo-nazis...
Setanta

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 11:26 am
@Francis,
Clueless Danes?
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 11:29 am
@Francis,
Francis wrote:

I was asking myself what kind of parents raise skinheads and neo-nazis...
Maybe the best answer in this context is, seek a shrink ..you need it.
Francis

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 11:34 am
@HexHammer,
Well, you mellowed down, I thought I needed to be interned in a disciplinary camp (in addition to the shrink)..
HexHammer

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 11:39 am
@Francis,
Francis wrote:

Well, you mellowed down, I thought I needed to be interned in a disciplinary camp (in addition to the shrink)..
Since you appear as a raving madman, I'll just put you on ignore.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 11:41 am
@Lily626,
Lily626 wrote:
I am having a good time and it is ok for the kids to run a little bit wild. <snip> Desperately need some suggestions.

you are having a good time

it is not ok for the kids to run a little wild in a restaurant

you need to reconsider going out to restaurants until you and your child mature
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 11:46 am
@HexHammer,
HexHammer wrote:

Francis wrote:

Since you appear as a raving madman, I'll just put you on ignore.

Yay! I was hoping it would happen someday!
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 02:27 pm
@vinsan,
vinsan wrote:

U know luck plays a very vital role in teaching table manners.

My nephew was 5 and lacked table manners. My sis tried training him but it was useless. One day while eating, my nephew was throwing food from his plate into my sis's and by mistake threw a big chunk of chicken in our neighbor's plate who was happend to be a policeman having his lunch.

My sis said, "Sorry! But he wont listen to us".

The policeman stared at my nephew with false rage and asked him to raise his hands and handcuffed him. And then took himt to his van and locked the doors from outside.

We told him, he was to be sent to Jail for not having gud table manners. Then ofcourse he cried his wits out and was ultimately rescued on the condition of good table manners.

But that taught the brat!

P.S. He started hating chicken BTW.
Quote:
I hope you are jesting, only very naive people would think luck plays a "vital role".
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 03:17 pm
Many of the replies here provide me with surprising insight into the human condition we call civilization. This insight in some cases is a by-product - an inadvertant unintentional result - of people expressing their opinion.

The downside of some ideas expressed here about child-raising explains in the big picture why enemity exists, civil wars... national enemies or nations who make war. There is no clear universal agreement on what civility should look like. Civil behavior starts in the home and makes going out in public a rewarding experience.

Manners taught well helps keep to contribute to the peace. Without manners, as a collective group, civilization slides ever further towards total anarchy and an ingnominious end.
Francis

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 03:28 pm
@Ragman,
On the whole you are right.

But if good manners are just a way to more freely diffuse sickening ideologies, sorry, I'm not buying..

Some of the dignitaries of the nazi regime were well mannered people..
MonaLeeza

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 03:30 pm
@vinsan,
Quote:

This is only true if you are unlucky enough to have a child with a very severe developmental or physical disability that makes them incapable of eating nicely. Other children can be taught from when they first learn to feed themselves. Not throwing food is the very easiest lesson to teach - if they throw it they can't have any more. They get the point well before they starve.
MonaLeeza

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 11:28 pm
@Francis,
Quote:

On the whole you are right.

But if good manners are just a way to more freely diffuse sickening ideologies, sorry, I'm not buying..

Some of the dignitaries of the nazi regime were well mannered people..

I'd be interested to hear more about this. As far as I can see table manners are simply about being considerate to the other people at the table and in the room - regardless of your political persuasion. I'm not sure where the sickening ideologies come into it. Is there a connection between early 20th century German six year olds learning not to throw food at the table, and the holocaust that followed? On the other hand did members of the French Resistance, for example, talk with their mouths full and toss croissants at each other?
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2010 02:38 am
I had a standing rule with my kids. If they acted like jerks, we left the restaurant. It didn't take them long to learn that I expected them to act like decent human beings anywhere and if they didn't we'd leave. All kids can understand rules and what is acceptable and what isn't.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2010 02:44 am
I certainly agree that teaching manners and acceptable public behavior is an essential part of successful child-rearing. I also agree with Francis that inculcating good manners is no guarantee that a "good" person will result.
Francis

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2010 03:26 am
@Setanta,
This is the point I was trying to make...
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2010 08:04 am
@Setanta,
I have minimal needs for families with kids as far as the issue of whether or not they've raised good kids. Just keep them from making a racket whilst they are sitting next to me at a restaurant.
0 Replies