identified ... with = ?

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2010 07:55 am
If someone said that he identified a with b, did he mean "he proved that a was b"?

Context

Among the most keenly discussed issues were: i) the remarkably high number of molecularly identified primary immunodeficiencies with autoimmune expressions; ii) the homeostasis of immune function such that deficiency in any one given compartment can result in over activity in the same or another compartment;
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 573 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2010 08:08 am
To identify with means that two things or persons are sufficiently similar that the similarities are immediately obvious. For example, one might say that Tories in Canada are identified with Republicans in the United States. All that means is that both are immediately identifiable as people holding very similar, conservative political opinions.

But you have a probem here--the author of your piece is not using the locution "identified with." the remarkably high number of molecularly identified primary immunodeficiencies with autoimmune expressions means that there are a remarkably high number primary immunodeficiencis having autoimmune expressions, which primary immunodeficiencies are identified molecularly. If the author meant something else, he or she wrote the sentence badly. I know of no examples of the locution "identified with" in which identifed and with are separated by anything other than an adverb modifying the word identified.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2010 08:26 am
Thank you Set.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2010 10:15 am
@oristarA,
I think this author is not using the "identified with" construction. He happens to use both near each other, but I read this sentence as saying:

"Among the most keenly discussed issues were: i) the remarkably high number of autoimmune expressions; the homeostasis of immune function, ..."

"Molecularly identified" goes to primary immunodeficiences. Likewise with "with autoimmune expressions." I don't read this as using the "indentified ... with" construction.
oristarA

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2010 10:40 pm
@engineer,
Thanks.

But your reply has confused me.

Do you mean "molecularly, and in number, autoimmune expressions = primary immunodeficiences?"
0 Replies