Name that painting, please: a game

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2010 09:55 am
I've been sorting out my italy photos (this will take a long time) and found some photos from a museum in Siena (the Pinacoteca Nazionale di Siena) of some paintings I think I should be able to identify, most of those quite dark as I couldn't use a flash in the museum, though I can brighten them with the scanner. There's one in particular that I just know I should know. But, it turns out there is no list out there of the museum's paintings (I've read others complain about this). I have two books on sienese painting, and still can't figure it out...

This gives me the idea to start a painting identification 'game' thread, rather like the Where Am I? travel game thread.

In the case of this one painting I'm wondering about that even the poster, myself, doesn't know the i.d. of, figuring out anything about it could be a help.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v722/ossobuco/mysterymadonna164.jpg?t=1289835906
(sorry for the white specks, I don't want to rescan right now)

I.D. - title and artist
The person who figures it out will then have a turn to post a painting for identification.. (even if you know the answer)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 10,799 • Replies: 125
No top replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2010 02:38 pm
@ossobuco,
[looks at painting, shrugs]

Sorry, was going to play, but too tough for me! Sad
fbaezer

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2010 02:46 pm
Madonna and Child.
Author: Unknown.
(And I bet I'm right)
ossobuco

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2010 04:03 pm
@fbaezer,
That or Madonna Enthroned..
but who is the artist, she coughs, I can't believe he would be unknown.. bet you a slice of panforte, fb. Not saying you couldn't be right.

If no one gets it in a few days, I'll leave it as a puzzler and post something apt to be more findable or already known.

- maybe someone somewhere will actually go to Siena one day and check out the art and notice that particular pinacoteca is mentioned on a2k...

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2010 04:07 pm
Feel free to add another painting in the meantime, it might be a while to get the answer to the first painting (thinking years).
ossobuco

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2010 04:09 pm
@Reyn,
Hang in there, Reyn, they all won't be so hard to figure out.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2010 04:15 pm
@ossobuco,
Looks garden-variety byzantine. Are you sure it's documented to an artist and not a school?
ossobuco

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2010 07:00 pm
@Green Witch,
Hi, and no. It was a photo I took while lagging behind the group most of the time, and was remonstrated by the museum person. I did break down crying when she was trying to push me along. I'd been to the museum years before and was exultantly happy to be there again, at the same time I was apparently in some kind of 'look and move corral.' The museum person gave me a little room after the the crying, she apparently betting I wouldn't somehow atomize the paintings.

I must add, I've since learned one can ask for access, but I didn't know that back then.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2010 07:07 pm
@Green Witch,
No, I'm not sure, but the painting and many others are in an apparently picky for good reason museum, while the better paintings of these artists may be elsewhere.

I have no idea if the painting I linked is documented to an artist, as the museum does not list its paintings. I can document I saw it there. Someone in Siena could just go look.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2010 09:20 pm
Siena? I'm guessing it was painted in the 1400s. Some call that period "International Gothic."
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2010 09:40 pm
http://www.takingart.com/ART/lg/MAIS334.jpg
Pemerson

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2010 09:47 pm
Beautiful, Edgar! This will be fun, so bring on more paintings.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2010 09:49 pm
@edgarblythe,
J. M. W. Turner? Title unknown... (to me).
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2010 09:50 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Feel free to add another painting in the meantime, it might be a while to get the answer to the first painting (thinking years).

That's the problem with Italian Proto-Renaissance art. There are far too many lesser known artists who paint virtually the same subject ad nauseum.

0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2010 09:53 pm
Could it be the Black Madonna?
ossobuco

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2010 10:05 am
@cicerone imposter,
I am doubting that. I don't remember thinking the face was black when I saw the painting in person. I think those are mostly Polish paintings..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2010 10:09 am
@tsarstepan,
I've got a big Turner book; the photo on the cover makes me sure you're right, even though it's of a different painting. Now to see if I can find it..
ossobuco

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2010 11:08 am
@ossobuco,
Yeow! There are about twenty three hundred works listed in that book, not all of them with photos. I didn't see EdgarB's photo among them, but I looked fairly fast.
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2010 01:16 pm
I recognized Windsor Castle on the hill, did a search on
"Windsor Castle" Turner
and voila! I found "Windsor Castle" by J M W Turner.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2010 01:19 pm
@George,
george wins the seegar!
0 Replies