Should he end our relationship, will he realize what he would lose?

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 12:20 pm
Met bf 10 mos. ago. Great relationship; no fights/arguments. Due to our belief/faith, no sex w/o marriage. Not to say we do not show physical affection (intense at times) to one another. He 53 widower of 3.5 yrs, me 47 divorced for 4 yrs. We have spoken of marriage between us, his late wife including her cancer & passing, the complexities of being a single parent, this roller coaster called life, God & everything in between; intellectually compatible. To add: I have no problems with her pictures in his house or his speaking of her; I have enough room in my heart for the both of them. Recently he has been distant; physically (lack of affection) as well as emotionally; idle chit chat instead of communication. After some prodding, he states that he has doubts about our relationship; whether he is ready for one (I am the 1st relationship, serious & otherwise, since his wife's passing), maybe he was meant to be alone, concerns about finances, health (I'm assuming, understandably, due to his late wife's illness that led to her death), what we have to offer one another, our opposite work schedules (we see each other once a week due to my job & where I live), he even mentioned his concern of the possibility of me gaining weight?? (I'm curvy, not fat. He has mentioned more often than not, resisting temptation is getting more & more difficult; always complimenting me on my feminine attributes). Told him that I nor life has guarantees, but I am not going to leave a great relationship because of that. Had this talk a few times within the past few weeks; feel as though I am trying to convince him to stay in the relationship. No one wants to be "talked" into a relationship. He states that he likes me ...alot in addition to loving me. After these talks, I am apprehensive about coming on strong, so I pull back somewhat emotionally/physically. He comes on just as strong as before his pulling away; confusing me to no end! I had planned to move closer to him so we could see each other more often, now I am at a standstill. My job is closer to where I am now, but don't mind the drive knowing what the payoff would be. I am close to his kids (mine are grown & live in another state) & they see me as a fixture in their lives (1 still lives @ home; 16 yrs. old). Again, even during these talks, no fighting. There is crying on my part, aggravation/annoyance (on both sides) but no fighting/arguing. I stated to him that I feel he is making excuses; dwelling too much on the what if's. So, since I am going out of town to visit my kids for a week, I asked him to take that time to look into his heart & really see me & whether or not I am what he truly wants. I told him he is worth fighting for & I will do whatever is in my power to make this work, but I can't do it alone; he has to want & put the energy into this as well. I Love him dearly & don't want to lose him; it's difficult to not want to pick up the phone or see him to tell him over & over again how much I Love, want & need him! I am a patient woman, yet, we are not kids anymore & life is short. I'm hoping this is normal behaviour for a widower & he will realize that I can offer a fullfilling life, a different way, another point of view. I want & expect that if this relationship is to work, he needs to be consistent & want this to progress towards marriage.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,208 • Replies: 3
No top replies

jespah

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 01:41 pm
@saburrow,
Suggestion:

Cut off contact for, say, a week. And see what happens?

I'm not suggesting game playing so much as giving him some space, which he seems to be requesting. But be prepared for him possibly not coming back afterwards (although at least you'll know).

Sounds like he's getting cold feet. As for the sex thing, that seems like he's kind of waffling, like he wants his fun and realizes life is short but is also being nutty because he thinks everything's gonna come crashing down around his ears any second. It won't, but he's been burned and is scared.

So, see if a week apart (and I mean NO contact) changes anything.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 02:25 pm
She says she sees him ONCE a week - and there is no sex.

If anything, she needs to see him more and get more intimate with him.

JMHO
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 02:33 pm
I say he is a grown man, and indicating he does not want this relationship to continue.

Is the OP saying she knows better than he does what he needs and wants?
0 Replies