Extending the Bush tax cuts; it’s the Republicans and Tea Partyists that are in a weaker position.

Supposn

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 08:01 am
The lame duck Democratic majorities should bring a bill making the Bush tax cuts permanent (but excluding what cuts are fiscally unacceptable) to the floors of both houses. Obama should declare he will not sign a bill granting greater reduction of federal revenue. If the Republicans are smart, they’ll let such a bill pass.

Republicans may foolishly believe they can do better in 2011 with their House majority. The Democratic senate caucus, (i.e. the majority caucus) should draft a new tax bill that is superior to the bill they attempted to pass in 2010. The Senate’s version should be additionally more populous and better stimulate the economy. The Republicans may (if they dare), filibuster that tax reduction bill.

Tax cuts are revenue reductions. (Republicans will strive to make a temporary extension of cuts to become eventually permanent). Any reduction of government revenue is an economic problem. Democrats will not be blocking tax cuts but rather by capping revenue losses they’ll be fiscally more responsible. Obama should only sign a revenue reduction bill that will more effectively stimulate our nation’s economy.

I’ve voted in every general election and missed extremely few Democratic primary elections since 1959. I voted for the Green Party congressional candidate in 2010 because Democrats wouldn’t bring the tax bill to the floor of both houses prior to the general election.

I will not vote for Democrats until the party finds and retains their courage. I have not moved away from my populist convictions. The Democratic Party has moved away from me.

Respectfully, Supposn
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 567 • Replies: 0
No top replies