Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Countdown!!

sozobe

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2010 06:44 am
@tsarstepan,
So what did you think?
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2010 09:23 am
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
most of the people in line I could see were 20 somethings
Does that make them 10 when the first one came out ?? I cant remember when the first one came out but I remember my young kids were frightened by the story Very Happy I wasnt...I was brave.....well.... a little frightened.....

Quote:
More women then there were males ... not quite 2 to 1 ratio.
That surprises me....
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2010 07:47 pm
@Ionus,
I could only see the small section of the front of the line on the 4th floor side of the interior sets of the lobby doors but on the other side perhaps the gender ration evened out. Could be a miscalculation based on my small amount of anecdotal evidence.

Soz? What did I think? It was very well made and I thoroughly enjoyed it very much. But it was the first Harry Potter film that I had felt the filmmakers were talking over the heads of those (like myself) who did not read any of the books.

Key plot points that seemed to fly out of nowhere that made me wonder how did Harry and the gang get to figuring out (especially so early in the film). Perhaps I did myself a disfavor by not revisiting the other films in a row before seeing the Deathly Hallows.

The acting (especially between the three leads) was great as usual. Loved the deep and dark score. Hope it grabs an Oscar nomination come Academy season.

It seemed to me that there were far too many insider jokes (possible book references) that I couldn't understand. I didn't get that feeling when I watched the other movies in the franchise. Not a complaint but just a noticeable comment. Possible Oscar nods for Art Direction, Direction, and the tech nods as well.
sozobe

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2010 08:22 pm
@tsarstepan,
Oh, so you haven't read the books?

I do really recommend them. As good as the movies are, they really pale in comparison to the books, IMO. Partly because so much apparently incidental detail turns out to be very important. (That's part of why they had to scramble to catch up in the last movies -- they cut stuff from earlier movies that didn't seem important, but was.)
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2010 08:48 pm
@sozobe,
That makes sense. I tend to become intimidated when a book series becomes larger then a trilogy. That anxiety of making a book reading commitment so I never get around to starting it.

I'm a slow reader so I don't think I could possibly read all of the books before the final installment when it hits the theaters this July 2011.
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2010 10:44 pm
Liked the film...

And yes films are paler compared to the books. The film doesnt even try to explain voldemort's story (so far) e.g. complete lack of Gaunt's and Merope and Riddle's luv story.

Lack of love in Tom's upbringing. Loveless union of his parents. All attributing to the sheer evil of his persona.

Nothing!
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2011 04:17 pm
anyone seen the last instalment yet?

sozobe

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2011 04:35 pm
@djjd62,
Not out yet here -- premiering at midnight tonight. Sozlet wants to go, but no.

She also wants to go with the same gaggle of girls from Part 1 but two of them are out of town and we haven't yet figured out what to do about that. What seems likely is that she and I will go Friday or Saturday, and then the gaggle will go once those two are back.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2011 07:46 pm
@sozobe,
I just rewatched the first part myself in order to bone up on the second part. I'm glad I did as I must have been in a bad mood when I watched it. Got a much better vibe with the rewatch this time around.

Gives me much more hope for the second part now. I should be seeing it Friday night. Maybe the 9ish or so screening.

The 3D version of course! Very Happy
farmerman

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2011 09:06 pm
@tsarstepan,
I tried watching Part 1 as a thing to do with another couple. WE all looked bored after an half hour and we guys went off and played some chess. The women stuck with it and are looking forward to seeing Pt 2 in a THEATER. They will go without us.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2011 05:59 am
@farmerman,
Just curious Farmerman? Have you seen any of the other HP films? I can see if you haven't as if you started with the very dark and gritty part 1 without seeing the other films then their wouldn't be too much emotional connection with the main characters as all of the character development has taken place in the prior 7 films.

Don't worry FM. HP isn't for every muggle out there. Just be glad to know that Harry Potter still loves you despite your indifference. Very Happy
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2011 04:04 pm
@tsarstepan,
While I was at work, Penny got us the tickets for the 10:05PM screening. We will get their extra early so we can get a great seat!
http://i55.tinypic.com/2zfjyn6.jpg

Harry Potter Shatters Midnight Box-Office Records
http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2011/07/harry_potter_midnight_box_offi.html?mid=375532&rid=422483811
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2011 04:16 pm
@tsarstepan,
Now I see the ticket, I'm a tad worried. Why does it say Senior on it? Going to call the theater to see if there will be a problem. Penny got the tickets out of the little kiosk.

Have to fix this little mess! ((sigh))
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2011 04:24 pm
@tsarstepan,
Oh wow! Penny will see it before we do! Sozlet's gonna be soooooo jealous...

At this point I'm hoping to stall her long enough to take the gaggle in a week or so. No captioned versions out and I'd rather wait for that, and I don't want to see it 3 times. (Now with sozlet w/o captions, later with gaggle w/o captions, later still with captions.)

Edit: Sozlet just saw the pic of Penny and said "OOOOOHHHH, LUCKY!!!!"
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2011 12:12 am
@sozobe,
Harry Potter has found an august place in me little heart! Easily the best Potter film.

1. Spirited Away (2001);
2. Ghost In The Shell (1995);
3. Chinatown (1974);
4. In The Mood For Love (2000);
5. The Silence of the Lambs (1991);
6. Sideways (2004);
7. Amélie (2001);
8. Casablanca (1942);
9. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 (2011);
10. The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly (1966);
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2011 10:58 am
@tsarstepan,
Box Office: 'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Pt. 2' shatters 'New Moon' opening day record with $92.1 million
'DARK KNIGHT'S' 3-DAY MARK IS IN REACH
SATURDAY, JUL 16, 2011 12:15 PM

http://www.hitfix.com/articles/box-office-harry-potter-and-the-deathly-hallows-pt-2-breaks-new-moon-opening-day-record
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2011 02:53 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
Easily the best Potter film.

Having been a little disappointed with the last several, I was pleasantly surprised with Deathly Hallows 2. I think it's the best one since Goblet of Fire, which was previously my favorite of all the Potter movies (though it's not my favorite book of the series); upon further reflection--and possibly another viewing--it might become my favorite of them all. GoF and DH2 are the only ones that felt to me like actual movies rather than selected scenes from the books.

WARNING: SPOILERS!
I was surprised by the King's Cross scene, though: they didn't bother to explain that the protective enchantment in Harry's blood lives on in Voldemort (i.e. Voldemort was unknowingly serving as Harry's protection just as Harry was Voldemort's inadvertent Horcrux), and that this is why Harry is not killed by the Killing Curse when he sacrifices himself in the Forbidden Forest at the very end. That seems like a very big detail to leave out. Does Harry's survival after the Forbidden Forest and King's Cross scenes make sense without that vital detail?
djjd62

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2011 03:35 pm
@Shapeless,
i think over the years they've relied on the fact that folks who see the movies have read the books

all in all, it's pretty major accomplishment, making 8 movies in 10 years, keeping virtually the same cast (less a death) and not pissing of the customers (see mr. lucas it can be done)
sozobe

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2011 05:40 pm
That was good!!

I missed Peeves' "Voldy is all moldy" song (and Peeves in general) and other details like that but overall, wow!

And that's without captions (which could go either way -- I might like it more with captions or less).
Shapeless

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2011 06:48 pm
@djjd62,
Quote:
keeping virtually the same cast (less a death)

I think that's one of the key things that's made the last installment seem like such an important cultural event. Watching Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint, and Emma Watson grow over the past decade has helped reinforce the feeling that we've been watching the characters of Harry, Ron, and Hermione grow too. I imagine youngsters of the right age have felt like they've been growing alongside those three.
0 Replies