Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Countdown!!

djjd62

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2010 07:38 am
@sozobe,
ah, i see, good point to stop, i was trying in my head to figure out where certain plot points were in relation to a more or less halfway point
sozobe

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2010 07:40 am
@djjd62,
Yep, I was pretty impressed.

Everything is kind of a whirlwind from Gringotts on (and the next movie will presumably start with Harry and Griphook planning Gringotts).
djjd62

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2010 07:42 am
@sozobe,
i may break down and see my first in theatre movie since 1997, but for now i'm re-listening to the complete audio book series
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2010 07:52 am
@farmerman,
White-font reply on Snape:

No. He was working for Dumbledore all along, including killing him. (That was arranged previously.) Dumbledore was going to die anyway, and this both cemented Snape's position in Voldemort's crew, and saved Draco (who would've been in trouble if he refused to kill Dumbledore, but realistically couldn't best him). It also was supposed to nullify the powers of the Elder wand (complicated, I can get into it if you want) but it didn't work that way because Draco disarmed him first.

Snape worked for Dumbledore for one reason -- his love of Lily Evans, Harry's mother. He hated Harry's father, though, who Harry very much resembles, and so he genuinely hated Harry in many ways even though he was also working to save him. In the end, he is actually more loyal to Harry than Dumbledore was. (Complicated stuff here too.)

The most affecting scene in the books, for me, is Snape's death scene. His last words, to Harry, are "Look... at... me..." That doesn't mean much until you read the next chapter, revealing (through memories) his deep love of Harry's mother... and Harry has his mother's eyes.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2010 07:58 am
@sozobe,
I want to know about Snapes. Im certain that he was a real doublecrossing prick. I think Im going to wait until I can have both movies togethre. One reason I didnt like the LOTR series was their really bad endings trying to keep with the books yet making them cinematically continuous. It left one with a less than satisfying experience even if you were a LOTR junkie.

OH, I just read your reply. Very complicated I must say. I would have needed a continuous story board to refer to were I the author of the books.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2010 07:51 pm
Quote:
coming out of the cupboard 1541 up, 436 down
November 20, 2010 Urban Word of the Day

"coming out of the cupboard" is a figure of speech for popular or non popular people's disclosure of their secret obsession for Harry Potter. The term comes from the well know phrase "coming out of the closet" which refers to a person revealing that they are gay/lesbian. The "closet" part is replaced by "cupboard" because, as we know, Harry Potter lived in the "cupboard under the stairs" in the beginning of the book series.

EXAMPLE:
I guess I'm finally coming out of the cupboard. I didn't really want people to know I was secretly obsessed with Harry Potter

by pmpknqueen Oct 6, 2010

http://coming-out-of-the-cupboard.urbanup.com/5263425
Ionus

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2010 08:28 pm
@tsarstepan,
The best one was Harry and the Secret Chamber Potty.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2010 08:41 pm
@farmerman,
I loved Snape's character. In the entire series, Snape is the only character that has some depth to him, who is not a caricature of good or evil. Before the last book came out, Walden's Books was giving out stickers, one saying "Snape is loyal", the other "Snape will betray." I got one of each as my son and I were having a good debate on the issue. At the midnight book party, I wore one and spent the entire night discussing the issue since everyone who saw it had a deeply held opinion on him.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2010 11:42 pm
Eight Ways to Spin Off the Harry Potter Movie Franchise

Planes, Trains, and Disapparation
http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2010/11/harry_potter_spinoffs.html#photo=5x70006
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2010 01:18 am
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
The best Harry Potter fan videos, comedy sketches, and other viral oddities

Given that the entire planet's been in throes of Pottermania for over a decade, the internet's churned out tons of funny (and profoundly bizarre) video tributes to J.K. Rowling's boy wizard. Here are some of the best.

http://io9.com/5694747/the-best-harry-potter-fan-videos-comedy-sketches-and-other-viral-oddities
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2010 08:16 am
@engineer,
I love Snape's character too. I don't think it's true to say he's the only one who is not a caricature of good or evil, though -- that's actually a central theme of the books, that it's not always that clear-cut. Dumbledore turns out to be deeply flawed. Harry himself has many flaws, that he is able to ultimately overcome. Kreacher, Mundungus, Xenophilius Lovegood, even Draco Malfoy -- many many characters are not clearly one or the other (good or evil) but have elements of each and then make choices that nudge them in one direction or the other.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2010 08:51 am
@engineer,
When I was in Catholic wschool as a kid there were bunch of nuns who were the type section for the character of Snapes.
eurocelticyankee

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2010 06:47 pm
@farmerman,
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2010 06:07 am
CSMonitor's global Harry Potter photo gallery:
http://www.csmonitor.com/CSM-Photo-Galleries/In-Pictures/Harry-Potter-fan-frenzy
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2010 05:08 pm
Waiting in line with 52 minutes to the start of the show.
Got here a half hour ago. Should get a good seat.
Ionus

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2010 05:11 pm
@tsarstepan,
Nows a good time to tell us what sort of people are in the line-up.....
djjd62

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2010 05:43 pm
@Ionus,
nerds and geeks would be my guess, one reason i refuse to see movies like this in the theatre, i have a reputation to uphold
Ionus

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2010 05:44 pm
@djjd62,
Quote:
one reason i refuse to see movies like this in the theatre, i have a reputation to uphold
I heard it was because your picture is in the Post Office... Very Happy
djjd62

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2010 05:46 pm
@Ionus,
well yeah, that too
http://www.hp-lexicon.org/images/film/pa/sirius-poster-pa.jpg
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2010 06:04 am
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:

Nows a good time to tell us what sort of people are in the line-up.....

I was in the relative beginning of the line, most of the people in line I could see were 2osomethings. Three were in their fifties.

More women then there were males ... not quite 2 to 1 ratio.