Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Countdown!!

djjd62

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 11:56 am
@eurocelticyankee,
you go to the late night show Razz
eurocelticyankee

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 12:00 pm
@djjd62,
Go and see Harry Pothead, nah.
eurocelticyankee

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 12:03 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 12:09 pm
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 01:02 pm
@sozobe,
why are they doing this in 2 parts? Just to drag it out?
djjd62

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 01:06 pm
@farmerman,
not really, the books just got bigger and more involved, the sixth movie could have easily been a two parter, they really pared it down by making one film

in the audio versions the first two books are about 8 1/2 hours, the next two jump up into the 15+ hour range, the last three are around 24+ hours
eurocelticyankee

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 01:15 pm
@farmerman,
MONEY
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 01:16 pm
@djjd62,
Yeah... 4, 5 and 6 all bothered sozlet + I for the very important stuff that was left out, and those movies were still crammed full of incident to the point of choppiness.

It sounds like this one will be much more satisfying, if more for people who loved the books and want to see a good adaptation than for people who have only seen the movies. (For example, Dobby is a character who is nearly as important as Dumbledore but his importance wasn't evident for a while AND he's CGI in movies [= expensive] so he has appeared only once in movies 1-6. He will reappear in this movie but without the build-up that was supposed to be there, I expect his storyline will be far less affecting than it was in the books.)
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 01:31 pm
i'm curious to hear reactions over the next few days (i won't see it until it comes out on dvd), a film reviewer for my fave radio show saw it a few days ago, and said it was very good, great effects, but a very non dynamic cliff hanger ending, he did say that the films plot development definitely sets you up for what looks like a big payoff in the second film (even though we know the outcome)
farmerman

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 03:48 pm
@djjd62,
Does Harry get killed. God I hope so, hes such an annoying dense little snot.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 03:56 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

really looking forward to seeing the film, but hate theatres

FIRSTLY! Theaters is spelled thusly! Mad Secondly, I bet theaters don't like you either because you can't correctly spell their species name correctly. Crazy Canadian/British spelling! Rolling Eyes

Quote:
if these two films are as good as the rest, they'll be a shoe in for the best film series ever created

Totally agreed!

Quote:
(probably tied with LOTR, but only if the hobbit doesn't **** the bed)

TMI! Embarrassed
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 04:03 pm
@sozobe,
Favorable reviews from Time Out NY and New York Magazine:
http://newyork.timeout.com/arts-culture/film/592091/harry-potter-and-the-deathly-hallows-part-1
and
http://nymag.com/movies/reviews/69478/

And the Village Voice:
http://www.villagevoice.com/2010-11-17/film/in-harry-potter-and-the-deathly-hallows-part-one-the-kids-are-not-all-right/
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 04:04 pm
@farmerman,
http://www.collegehumour.com/video:1768656
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 06:29 pm
Quote:
By Gloria Goodale, Staff writer / November 19, 2010

Los Angeles
The first half of the Harry vs. Lord Voldemort showdown, "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1," summoned a $24 million box office at some 3,700 post-midnight screenings nationwide – a record midnight-screening take for the Potter franchise, and one that has been surpassed only by the last two Twilight films.

For the rest of the article:
http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Society/2010/1119/Midnight-madness-Deathly-Hallows-Part-1-sets-a-Harry-Potter-record
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 06:36 pm
@tsarstepan,
I bet the latest adaptation will be the first Harry Potter film to breach $1 billion in box office sales:
http://i56.tinypic.com/2rhmsdx.jpg
All-Time Box Office: World-wide
http://www.imdb.com/boxoffice/alltimegross?region=world-wide
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 09:28 pm
I liked it!

No captions, so maybe my opinion will change when I see it with captions, but it seemed to hew much more closely to the book than other movies and it was a little bit deja-vu-y in parts when things matched my mental picture so closely. (Mr. Lovegood + his house for example.)

I didn't like the attempts to make Hermione/Harry chemistry (the point is that they're each others' family, brother and sister, no need to mess with that), but overall it was very good, including what they chose as the break between this installment and the next. Made sense.
farmerman

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2010 04:18 am
@sozobe,
Hrry and HErmione are brother and sister?

Is Snapes really working for Voldemort?
sozobe

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2010 07:25 am
@farmerman,
They're not actually brother and sister in any genetic sense, but that's what they are to each other. (Very close and familial but not romantic at all.) And that is stepped up in this installment, when she loses ties with her biological family. He's always been an orphan but the family-substitutes (Sirius Black, Dumbledore) keep disappearing, leaving mostly Hermione, Ron, and the Weasleys in general.

I'll tell you re: Snape if you want to know but not sure where this thread is on spoilers. (I was shocked, shocked when a friend on Facebook asked for no spoilers... who doesn't know by now? But then I realized that I managed to shut out spoilers until just a couple of months ago, when I read the series.)
djjd62

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2010 07:28 am
@sozobe,
i'd love to know the point they chose to end the film, feel free to PM if you don't want to post it
sozobe

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2010 07:35 am
@djjd62,
I'll do the white font thing, you can highlight and see it if you want but if you don't want, you don't have to see it.

They end it right after Dobby's death -- Harry is sitting there near Shell Cottage (they don't really show that it's Shell Cottage, could be a random beach, no Bill or Fleur in sight), looking despondent after burying Dobby. Camera cuts away to a zooming Voldemort's-eye view, as he flies towards Dumbledore's grave. People who only saw the movies might not know what it is since there was no funeral scene in the 6th movie.

Voldemort (unseen still at this point) raises the top of the mausoleum or whatever it's called (large marble box), until there is just a marble slab between him and Dumbledore. He cracks that with his wand (then you see him).

Then... creepiness (and the photo illustrating the review in the NYT) -- Voldemort brings his snakey face close to Dumbledore's dead one. (Dumbledore is perfectly preserved.) Then he grabs the elder wand.

Evil laughing, and then he tests out its power with some undefined heavenly zapping. That fills the sky and then the screen til the screen goes white, then black. No "to be continued." Just beginning of credits.