Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Countdown!!

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2010 03:04 pm
Six days until the greatest event in modern civilization ... ((cough cough)) sorry for the diabetic inducing levels of hyperbole ... (((cough cough)))....

Six days until part one of the last Harry Potter adaptation (in this round of the cinematic series. I'm not going to make a prediction that Hollywood will not reboot the series sometime in the indefinite future) hits the silver screen.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0926084/combined

Is anyone excited about arguably this season's most anticipated blockbuster release? Already have your tickets prepurchased? Going to see the midnight premier screening in your area?
http://i51.tinypic.com/3338zsh.jpg

I'm avoiding any film trailers and reviews about the film and hopefully will escape any possible spoilers. I'm uber excited for the film release though I have not read a single Harry Potter book.

And you KOALAHEADS!! Evil or Very Mad Damn you!! You get the release on the 18th November!! Damn you all to hell you upside down cheats!!
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0926084/releaseinfo

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 13 • Views: 29,208 • Replies: 129

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2010 03:32 pm
@tsarstepan,
Got my ticket for the Monday evening IMAX screening:
http://i51.tinypic.com/731j10.jpg
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2010 03:43 pm
Can someone do me a favor and list the potter movies in order? I watch them willy-nilly and now I can't remember if I've seen the last one or not.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2010 03:52 pm
@littlek,
I think this is the right order:
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (2001)

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (2002)

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004)

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (2005)

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (2007)

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (2009)

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (2010)

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (2011)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2010 03:54 pm
ok, there was one with the big snake, one with the dobie, one with diving challenge...... hmmm....
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2010 04:12 pm
@tsarstepan,
I'm excited for sure!

Taking three girls to a special showing (there will be butterbeer, among other things), all of 'em dressed up, they're jumping out of their skins with excitement. None of them have been to a premiere before tho they've seen the other 6.

I won't have captions but have read the books -- still expect to be somewhat stymied since the movies tend to diverge.

Will be going back later with sozlet (if the movie is good enough, probably will be) and maybe one other girl for the captioned version (rear-view captioning, I see it but movie would be normal for them).
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2010 04:13 pm
(seems I have not seen the 5th and 6th movies yet. I'll have to catch up!)
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2010 06:40 pm
@littlek,
Hop to it!! Chop chop!!

Times a burning!
littlek

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2010 11:08 pm
@tsarstepan,
I was at a video store earlier and everything! Didn't rent the movies..... I have a week (or so)!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 08:31 am
I'll admit, I'm totally psyched.

This despite not really liking the 6th movie! So it doesn't really make sense. But I am.

I've read some reviews, they complain about too much from the books being left in, that's exactly what bothered me about previous movies though (even though the books are long it all ties together, almost everything is actually important in one way or another), so I'm hoping I'll like this more.

It's going to leave us in the lurch and that will be hard but we do know the real ending.
djjd62

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 08:39 am
can't wait for the dvd to come out so i can rip it and convert to watch on my ipod touch Razz

really looking forward to seeing the film, but hate theatres

heard an interview with the producers of the films the other day, the interviewer was commenting on how lucky they got with the casting, apart from the original dumbledore dying, they've retained all the original cast through 8 films, and lets face it, kids are always a danger, they (child actors) can get really messed up in their teen years, or just change appearance and not fit the characters anymore

if these two films are as good as the rest, they'll be a shoe in for the best film series ever created (probably tied with LOTR, but only if the hobbit doesn't **** the bed)
djjd62

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 08:42 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:
This despite not really liking the 6th movie! So it doesn't really make sense. But I am.

I've read some reviews, they complain about too much from the books being left in, that's exactly what bothered me about previous movies though (even though the books are long it all ties together, almost everything is actually important in one way or another), so I'm hoping I'll like this more.

It's going to leave us in the lurch and that will be hard but we do know the real ending.

the sixth movie should have been two films as well, they left a lot of the story out unfortunately

four and five left elements from the book out as well, but not really salient plot points, the whole house elf liberation thing was interesting but not crucial for the story
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 08:44 am
@djjd62,
I think it's interesting how the movies and the books were happening at the same time -- in one interview Daniel Radcliffe says his mom was reading the 6th book and said it sounded quite like him. As in, I wonder if (even subconsciously) J.K. Rowling had the actors in mind as she was writing.

Rupert Grint also says he really basically IS Ron, though I think that was some good casting, too.
djjd62

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 08:54 am
@sozobe,
she may have started thinking of them as the books progressed

martin scorcese has said that grint is a vey accomplished actor, best of the three, can't beat praise like that
sozobe

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 08:56 am
@djjd62,
He's fabulous for sure. Emma Watson has her moments (she's generally a bit too concerned most of the time, not quite tough enough to be the perfect Hermione), but I think he's my favorite.

Daniel Radcliffe really isn't bad but movie Harry and book Harry are not the same person IMO. (I like book Harry much better.)
djjd62

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 09:04 am
@sozobe,
i get what you're saying about the 2 harry's

radcliffe is going to broadway to star in how to succeed in business i hear

watson seems to be wrapped up in her studies (the producers said she scored the highest mark in all of england on british equivalent of the SAT's)

it'll be interesting to see what the future holds, will the roles they've had hold them back from other movie roles (perhaps why radcliffe likes the stage so much), i doubt they have to worry much about working again if they've treated the money properly
sozobe

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 09:05 am
@djjd62,
NYT review is up!

http://movies.nytimes.com/2010/11/19/movies/19harry.html

Sounds pretty good.

I'm gonna have to bring some tissues.
wandeljw

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 12:38 pm
@sozobe,
I am not sure if I should take my eleven year-old daughter to see this one. It might be too disturbing for her.

Will you be letting your daughter see it, sozobe?
sozobe

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 12:59 pm
@wandeljw,
I will, yes. She's read all the books and has seen all the movies so far. The 6th movie is probably more disturbing, what with the Inferi and Dumbledore's death (Deathly Hallows pt. 2 will be the worst).
eurocelticyankee

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 11:54 am
YAWNnnnnnnnnnnnn