Things in the News that just PISS YOU OFF...

Rockhead

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2010 10:09 pm
that woman that wants to be president is coming back to the prairie...

"Andover police will be providing security for former Alaska Governor Sarah Palin when she visits Sunday.

Palin will stop at the Dillons Marketplace Sunday from 11 a.m. until 1 p.m. to sign her latest book "American by Heart".

Andover police will be providing traffic control and helping to monitor the line of people who are expected to be standing in the cold beginning Saturday night at 10 p.m.

Officers will also be working closely with Palin's security for her protection as well.

Rules: Line will form beginning at 10 p.m. Saturday night at the Andover Dillons Marketplace. Wristbands and books will be handed out beginning at 6 a.m. Sunday. No one will be allowed to have a tent while they wait in line. The media will be able to shoot video of Palin, but will not be allowed to interview her or get any audio of the former Vice Presidential candidate. "

(from KAKE TV)

pretty sure this is the second seal...
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2010 02:18 pm
SANTA ANA, Calif. (AP)—A construction worker who was on probation for felony drunken driving when he ran a red light and killed rookie Los Angeles Angels pitcher Nick Adenhart and two other people was sentenced Wednesday to 51 years to life in prison.

A judge sentenced Andrew Gallo, 24, amid sobbing from the victims’ family and friends who earlier heard him apologize for the 2009 crash.

Prosecutors said Gallo’s blood-alcohol level was nearly three times the legal limit when he blew through a red light at an Orange County intersection on April 9, 2009, and T-boned the car carrying Adenhart and three friends.

Also killed in the crash were 20-year-old Courtney Stewart and 25-year-old Henry Pearson. A fourth passenger, Jon Wilhite, was severely injured.

Before sentencing. Stewart’s sobbing father, Chris Stewart, told the judge each day that goes by “is one more day I’m without my daughter.”

Gallo was frequently moved to tears by the statements from family members of victims. He acknowledged before sentencing that he had taken the three lives and ruined his own after getting behind the wheel after hours of drinking.

He also said he expected to spend the rest of his life in prison.

“When I die, I have to look God in the face and ask him for forgiveness and mercy,” he said.

Gallo was convicted in September of three counts of second-degree murder and single counts of drunken driving, hit-and-run driving, and driving under the influence of alcohol and causing great bodily injury.

He was sentenced by Judge Richard Toohey to 15 years to life on each of the murder counts, with the additional six years added for the other crimes. Prosecutors had sought the terms of 15 years to life.

“His conduct showed a complete disregard for the safety of others,” Deputy District Attorney Susan Price said in court papers filed before the hearing.

Prosecutors said Gallo drank beer and shots at three different bars with his stepbrother before driving off in the family’s minivan. Jurors saw a videotaped interview in which he told police he didn’t remember driving that night and apologized to the victims’ families.

Gallo’s attorney had called for one sentence of 15 years to life, saying her client never intended to hurt anyone.

Attorney Jacqueline Goodman said in court papers that Gallo’s stepbrother was supposed to be the designated driver that night, but that Gallo took the wheel when his stepbrother became too drunk to drive.

(By AMY TAXIN, Associated Press )
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2010 03:34 pm
damn.

this holiday season keeps getting sadder...

http://www.kake.com/home/headlines/Kidnapping_and_Rape_Suspect_Charged_112335414.html

(he was wearing an ankle bracelet, and knew he was going to be caught.)
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2010 12:44 pm
"Abdul Arif, a Wichita-based attorney who is originally from India, and a group of his friends — all immigrants from various countries — have opened a free health care clinic as a way to give back to the United States.

The clinic, named Mayflower Clinic after the ship that brought immigrants to America, is at 3305 E. Douglas. It offers a full range of medical care — everything but hospitalization. It is designed to help people who are between jobs or temporarily lacking health insurance, not those who are chronically unemployed or homeless.

"They're people like, for instance, an aircraft worker who may be temporarily out of a job; that job could have been a $90,000-a-year job with all the benefits," said Bill Hess, president of College Hill Neighborhood Association. "What this clinic is designed to do is to provide benefits for that individual. I think it's a very good idea."

The clinic asks patients to show proof that they are currently uninsured.

But "We don't ask people too many questions because we do not want to strip them of their dignity," Arif said."

(from the wichita eagle)

WTF?

"Arif said he sees his clinic not only as an attempt to "solve the health care crisis in our small ways that we can," but as a way to personally give back to the United States."

I think Ima be ill...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2010 12:53 pm
Them chronically unemployed and them homeless, they can just rot, by god.
shewolfnm

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2010 12:58 pm
@Setanta,
im gonna camp on your porch and pee in your bushes..

Mr. Green
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2010 01:00 pm
The little dogs will just love you . . .
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 09:48 am
@Eva,
Responding kind of late, but your right, that is awful. I can't even imagine the hororr of it. As carelessly horrible as that act was, they couldn't really make up a penalty to fit the truly awfulness of it. So I guess we are left with being impotently pissed off.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 11:21 am
Kansas: Some fish in Arkansas River aren't safe to eat

http://www.kansas.com/2011/01/08/1664305/e-warns-of-fish-in-arkansas-river.html
JPB

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 11:26 am
@Rockhead,
IL: No fish in the Chicago River are safe to eat.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 11:31 am
@JPB,
I guess it's a good thing we killed off all the Indians.

they would be powerful mutants by now if we hadn't...
JPB

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 11:33 am
@Rockhead,
Killed them off or made sure there were no rivers nearby...
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 11:34 am
sad thing is, you go down to the Lincoln bridge, and it is loaded with poor folks fishing for a meal.

this just lets the state off the hook when someone gets sick...
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 12:22 am
"If it's not in the core function, we need to look into moving it out of government. And this is an example where we really have to do that," said Brownback.

So, in addition to eliminating the Kansas Arts Commision, Brownback is also proposing to eliminate the state's Parole Board, Conservation Commission, Animal Health Department, the research organization Kansas, Inc., the Kansas Technology Enterprise Corporation (KTEC), Human Rights Commission, and Health Policy Agency. Altogether, the proposal includes eliminating eight state agencies total.

"We're broke, money-wise. We're in a big hole, and you've got to just do everything you can to try to stretch the dollar," said Brownback.

http://www.kake.com/home/headlines/Arts_Commission_Among_Eight_State_Agencies_On_The_Chopping_Block_113536424.html
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 01:00 pm
"Eight women testified Tuesday about their sexual encounters with an HIV-positive sergeant at McConnell Air Force Base, painting a picture of a lifestyle where parties and rendezvous centered on casual sex were common."

http://www.kansas.com/2011/01/19/1680428/8-women-testify-in-air-force-sex.html

(wichita eagle)
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2011 12:08 pm
What one House member said was intended to be a joke backfired on him Monday.

In a committee hearing, Rep. Virgil Peck, R-Tyro, introduced a question he was asking regarding the hunting of feral swine in Kansas with what he says he intended to be a joke:

"Looks like to me, if shooting these immigrating feral hogs works, maybe we have found a (solution) to our illegal immigration problem."

Several members of the audience and the House Appropriations Committee gasped at Peck's comment, but no one responded to it until Peck's question was answered by witnesses and members of the committee.

At that point, Rep. Marc Rhoades, R-Newton, chair of committee, made the only comment regarding Peck's joke.

"I know that the preface to your question was an attempt at humor, but I would ask that in the future you refrain from comments that could be deemed inappropriate," Rhoades said.

The question being debated was how best to control the about 500 feral swine in Kansas. Presently in the budget for 2012 is $175,000 for the Department of Agriculture to continue to hunt herds of feral swine. They occasionally employ a helicopter to shoot at the hogs from the air. It has been suggested that the state should open a season in which hunters can kill the hogs legally.

Peck could not be reached for comment, but following the hearing he told the Lawrence Journal-World that he was "just speaking like a southeast Kansas person."

Tyro is in Montgomery County, about 12 miles west of Coffeyville.

He said most of his constituents are extremely upset with illegal immigration and the state and federal government response. He added that he expects no further controversy over the comment.

"I think it's over," Peck told the Journal-World.

Read more: http://www.kansas.com/2011/03/15/1762925/lawmakers-immigrant-remark-draws.html#ixzz1Gh177vn4
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2011 12:47 pm
things in the news that piss me off -

seeing idiotic things like star gossip listed in the news before information about Japan.
I guess america is still more interested in upskirt shots of Paris Hilton than how many people have survived, died, or how many plants have exploded in Japan.

priorities.... sometimes I think this countries' are bullshit.
manored

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2011 04:11 pm
@shewolfnm,
Not just your country, mine as well. I think its racial problem =)
farmerman

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2011 05:18 pm
@manored,
Hell, our papaer sucks so bad that they have ads on the front page.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 02:37 pm
Finding and searching for Batboy.

Just leave him be. So he looks a little funny and maybe enjoys flying at night and munching on mosquitoes. Leave him be.

For those unknowing of this tyke.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_zMd2LWoshFE/SWrEhCjDFgI/AAAAAAAABaQ/Z0OTgTNRSds/s400/batboy.bmp
0 Replies