Discussion of 2010 Fiscal Commission Proposal to Reduce Debt / Deficit

DrewDad

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 11:16 am
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

Quote:
WASHINGTON — The United States must move to rein in its massive budget deficits or it faces the risk of a bond market crisis, former Federal Reserve Chairman Alan Greenspan said Sunday.

"We've got to resolve this issue before it gets forced upon us," Greenspan said of the ballooning U.S. debt levels.

In other words, it's going to be forced upon us, and when it is our public servants will ride the wave of panic to ram through their pet ideas....
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 11:18 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

JPB wrote:

Quote:
WASHINGTON — The United States must move to rein in its massive budget deficits or it faces the risk of a bond market crisis, former Federal Reserve Chairman Alan Greenspan said Sunday.

"We've got to resolve this issue before it gets forced upon us," Greenspan said of the ballooning U.S. debt levels.

In other words, it's going to be forced upon us, and when it is our public servants will ride the wave of panic to ram through their pet ideas....

Greenspan has been incredibly wrong about pretty much everything he's talked about publicly for years. I have no clue why he is still treated as a trusted source of analysis on fiscal matters.

Cycloptichorn
DrewDad

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 11:27 am
@Cycloptichorn,
I was commenting on how the American public has a mob mentality, not on how reliable Greenspan is.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 11:33 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

I was commenting on how the American public has a mob mentality, not on how reliable Greenspan is.

Yah, I know. Still, I find it shocking that the guy even dares show his face in public, let alone comment on financial matters.

There's just no punishment for failure in politics these days.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 12:15 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
But conservatives would denounce that as “rationing” even though it’s identical in its impact on patients.

I have absolutely no problem with rationing or otherwise restricting publicly supported health services beyond a certain cap or care level.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 12:30 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

Quote:
But conservatives would denounce that as “rationing” even though it’s identical in its impact on patients.

I have absolutely no problem with rationing or otherwise restricting publicly supported health services beyond a certain cap or care level.

Okay; that doesn't change the fact that Ryan's plan is idiotic, and solves the problem by not paying for the HC of seniors. It isn't a serious solution to the issue.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 01:52 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
Ryan’s vouchers are designed to increase in value at a much slower rate. So instead of paying for old people’s health care, which is expensive, Ryan proposed to just not pay for old people’s health care.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
Paul Ryan's plan for Medicare is to destroy it. If his plan is put into place, it will cease to exist over time. This isn't an exaggeration, it's exactly how the plan is DESIGNED to work.

I cannot believe that you would support such a plan, JPB.

How does something that increases in value at a slower rate than the cost of healthcare (which also needs to be reduced over time) eventually disappear? It doesn't. It pays for less of what it pays for today but that, imo, is a necessary and desirable goal.
JPB

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 01:53 pm
@DrewDad,
Do you not think we need to rein in massive deficits?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 01:58 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

Quote:
Ryan’s vouchers are designed to increase in value at a much slower rate. So instead of paying for old people’s health care, which is expensive, Ryan proposed to just not pay for old people’s health care.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
Paul Ryan's plan for Medicare is to destroy it. If his plan is put into place, it will cease to exist over time. This isn't an exaggeration, it's exactly how the plan is DESIGNED to work.

I cannot believe that you would support such a plan, JPB.

How does something that increases in value at a slower rate than the cost of healthcare (which also needs to be reduced over time) eventually disappear? It doesn't. It pays for less of what it pays for today but that, imo, is a necessary and desirable goal.

Is this serious?

In 2015, if the vouchers pay 90%, Medicare is still mostly okay.

If by 2035, the vouchers pay 30%, Medicare is destroyed and worthless.

When the price of something goes up, and the method of paying for it does not, you effectively kill the program. The solution to the problem is to control the rise in price of HC, not to simply refuse to pay for HC.

I disagree completely that 'paying for less and less' is a desirable goal. It is exactly contrary to the reason Medicare exists, and what more, it would put the axe to what is essentially the cheapest and best-run health insurance system in the country.

Yaknow, I can see how Ryan's plans look attractive and all, but they all fall apart when even the slightest analysis is applied to them. I just don't see how you can support these things if you've bothered to do any analysis at all.

Cycloptichorn
JPB

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 02:15 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Medium Term: Fully offset the cost of the “Doc Fix” by asking doctors and other health providers, lawyers, and individuals to take responsibility for slowing health care cost growth. Offsets include:

*Pay doctors and other providers less, improve efficiency, and reward quality by speeding up payment reforms and increasing drug rebates

*Pay lawyers less and reduce the cost of defensive medicine by adopting comprehensive tort reform

*Expand cost-sharing in Medicare to promote informed consumer health choices and spending

*Expand successful cost containment demonstrations

*Strengthen IPAB

*Recommend additional health savings (illustrative examples to follow)

I like that goal. You don't. C'est la vie.
JPB

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 02:20 pm
@JPB,
Quote:

Increase cost-sharing in Medicare

Eliminate first-dollar coverage in Medigapplans.

Replace existing cost-sharing rules with universal deductible, single coinsurance rate, and catastrophic cap for Medicare Part A and Part B.

Call it "rationing" if you want, but it works for me.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 02:23 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

Medium Term: Fully offset the cost of the “Doc Fix” by asking doctors and other health providers, lawyers, and individuals to take responsibility for slowing health care cost growth. Offsets include:

*Pay doctors and other providers less, improve efficiency, and reward quality by speeding up payment reforms and increasing drug rebates

Maybe this sounds good on paper, but you know as well as I do that this 'solution' will never pass the House or Senate. You can't run on cutting salaries of Doctors. The Dems found this out last cycle. So it's foolish to assume that this would ever happen.

What does 'speeding up payment reforms' mean? It sounds like a buzzword. What are the specifics?

Quote:
*Pay lawyers less and reduce the cost of defensive medicine by adopting comprehensive tort reform

There is no evidence showing that Tort reform leads to lower HC costs. This was gone over extensively here on A2K last year during the HCR debate. States with tough tort reform laws have seen no smaller increase in their premiums over similar time periods to states that do not. Furthermore, the states that do have seen a marked increase in the take-home pay of doctors. Tort reform, the idea that it will save money, is an unproven assertion.

Quote:
*Expand cost-sharing in Medicare to promote informed consumer health choices and spending

Isn't this a fancy way of saying 'make seniors pay for more and more of their health care out of pocket, by covering less and less - so they'll stop asking for so much health care?' Good luck passing that one.

Quote:
*Expand successful cost containment demonstrations

Like what? Specifically.

Quote:
*Strengthen IPAB

I don't have a problem with this, actually not a bad idea.

Quote:
*Recommend additional health savings (illustrative examples to follow)

Oh, right. Once again, don't hold your breath waiting for these magic examples.

Quote:

I like that goal. You don't. C'est la vie.

You don't seem to think it's necessary to do any analysis to see whether or not this would actually save money, or even work. At all. You just think it sounds nice, so you support it. Same as with the other parts of Ryan's 'plan.' They sound nice, so you're for them.

You don't seem to realize that you are looking at a political and ideological document - not an actual plan. The proposals he makes don't work in the real world. But don't let little details like that stop you from promoting this idiocy Rolling Eyes

I sort of expected more in the way of analysis from you than this 'I like it, so there' approach. Disappointed.

Quote:
Call it "rationing" if you want, but it works for me.

The whole point is that it doesn't work for Ryan's own party! They just spent two years running against government-run rationing of health care. They specifically promised to KEEP this out of the HC bill! Like I said before, I guess this stuff 'works for you,' but it doesn't reflect reality.

I for one would like a magical pony that shits gold bars, which I could ride to the doctor and then use to pay for my Health Care. Maybe I'll write a bill showing that that should be our plan! I mean, hey; it sounds like an ideal solution, right?

Cycloptichorn
JPB

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 02:46 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
You don't seem to think it's necessary to do any analysis to see whether or not this would actually save money, or even work. At all. You just think it sounds nice, so you support it. Same as with the other parts of Ryan's 'plan.' They sound nice, so you're for them.

You don't seem to realize that you are looking at a political and ideological document - not an actual plan. The proposals he makes don't work in the real world. But don't let little details like that stop you from promoting this idiocy

I sort of expected more in the way of analysis from you than this 'I like it, so there' approach. Disappointed.

I don't need to do any sort of analysis on something that is ideological to know that I like it. Of course it's ideological. It's a list of goals. I'll be all over the specific proposals that are floated to achieve the goal.

Quote:
Isn't this a fancy way of saying 'make seniors pay for more and more of their health care out of pocket, by covering less and less - so they'll stop asking for so much health care?' Good luck passing that one.

Exactly. And, exactly. Which is why I don't need to waste my time doing an analysis of something that I think is very much needed, but politically impossible.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 02:48 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
The whole point is that it doesn't work for Ryan's own party! They just spent two years running against government-run rationing of health care. They specifically promised to KEEP this out of the HC bill! Like I said before, I guess this stuff 'works for you,' but it doesn't reflect reality.

I know. It doesn't stand a political snowball's chance in hell.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 02:57 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

Quote:

I know. It doesn't stand a political snowball's chance in hell.

So, why get behind it? It's not an actual plan for fixing anything! It's a magical, gold-brick shitting pony. Promoting it is the height of foolishness.

Not only that, but as I pointed out, the GOALS of the plan don't fix the problem - at all. Slowing the rise in the cost of HC fixes the problem. Making our seniors poorer and poorer by making Medicare cover less and less DOESN'T fix the problem. We won't save any money unless we solve the underlying problem. Shifting the costs does nothing.

Cycloptichorn
JPB

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 03:26 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
We won't save any money unless we solve the underlying problem. Shifting the costs does nothing.

Sure it does. It shifts the rationing decision away from the fed to the individual. If they want more coverage than the medicare cap then they can buy it. If they don't then they won't. It doesn't follow that everyone who can afford it will choose to spend their discretionary $$$ on additional health insurance, but at least it's their own decision. It also doesn't eliminate medicare - it simply sets a cap.

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 03:32 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

Quote:
We won't save any money unless we solve the underlying problem. Shifting the costs does nothing.

Sure it does. It shifts the rationing decision away from the fed to the individual. If they want more coverage than the medicare cap then they can buy it. If they don't then they won't. It doesn't follow that everyone who can afford it will choose to spend their discretionary $$$ on additional health insurance, but at least it's their own decision. It also doesn't eliminate medicare - it simply sets a cap.

But without controlling the rising costs of HC, that cap quickly becomes useless in the real world. Over time the cap will represent an ever-smaller percentage of the true HC costs of seniors, and Medicare will cease to be an effective insurance program, completely. If your goal is to destroy medicare, you couldn't pick a better way of doing it - other than simply canceling the whole program.

Instead of this, we should be focusing on things which actually cut the costs of HC itself...

Cycloptichorn
JPB

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 03:39 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
In addition to this, we should be focusing on things which actually cut the costs of HC itself...

There, that's better.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 03:48 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

Quote:
In addition to this, we should be focusing on things which actually cut the costs of HC itself...

There, that's better.

But, your entire goal is wrong. The 'plan' you are supporting is bullshit and you don't seem to be willing to put any thought into it. It wouldn't solve the problem in any way. I suspect that the reason you are behind it isn't that you think it would be an improvement for seniors or even the country, but the misguided notion that it will save YOU money.

If we properly control the costs of HC, we don't need to reduce Medicare - at all. You're for cutting because you like the idea of cutting things, not because you really care about the problems at hand. This is the impression I get from your failure to respond to any of my points regarding the ineffectiveness of Ryan's plan.

At this point, unless you can put forth some actual analysis of the issue, I'll consider you to be in the same boat as the Magical goldbrick shitting pony people - someone with a desire but no real clue how to accomplish it, willing to back plans that will never work - economically or politically - in the name of ideology. I can't really say much to that, other than the fact that the future is going to be painful for you, because none of this will ever happen.

Cycloptichorn
JPB

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 03:57 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

I suspect that the reason you are behind it isn't that you think it would be an improvement for seniors or even the country, but the misguided notion that it will save YOU money.

Um.. wrong. I fall exactly two weeks on the expensive side of the cutoff birth date in Ryan's proposal and I'm still all for it.

Quote:
You're for cutting because you like the idea of cutting things,

partly. I like individuals to be responsible for the decisions that lead to their care, not the feds. My radical preference is that DNR is the default for anyone without a care plan rather than the opposite. It takes 5 minutes to create a care plan. How much money would be saved if we only treated folks who specifically choose to be treated? There I go unplugging grandma again!!! Actually, I wouldn't plug her in to begin with unless she'd indicated she wanted such care.

Quote:
not because you really care about the problems at hand.
wrong again.

Quote:
At this point, unless you can put forth some actual analysis of the issue, I'll consider you to be in the same boat as the Magical goldbrick shitting pony people - someone with a desire but no real clue how to accomplish it, willing to back plans that will never work - economically or politically - in the name of ideology. I can't really say much to that, other than the fact that the future is going to be painful for you, because none of this will ever happen.

The future will be painful for all of us. I guess we're done then. Don't feel you need to respond any further to my posts, cyclo, I'm sure I'll survive the snub.