Twinkies, the real health food.

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2010 04:00 pm
Twinkies, Oreos, and Doritos—the new weight-loss diet? Well, a steady stream of junk food worked for Mark Haub, a Kansas State University nutrition professor who, after two months, shed a hefty 27 pounds, CNN reports. But he's not only slimmer. He reduced his body mass index from the overweight category to normal, his bad cholesterol decreased while the good increased, and his blood pressure is just fine. But Haub didn't embark on this eating plan to live out a childhood dream. He wanted to prove a simple point to his students: Any diet can produce weight loss—it's just a matter of consuming fewer calories than you burn, Haub told U.S. News's Hanna Dubansky in September. Haub went from ingesting 2,600 calories a day to 1,800. "If weight loss is the ultimate goal," he asked his students, "does it matter how I achieve it?" More than 80 percent of what he ate was prepackaged and coated in chocolate, supplemented only minimally by a daily multivitamin, a little whole milk, and a small serving of vegetables. (Whole grains, fruit, and dietary fiber were largely off limits.) "I'm losing weight and my cholesterol is improving by eating those foods," Haub told Dubansky. "Is it really soda and chips that are making people obese, or how much of them they eat?" Ultimately, Haub said he hopes his experiment will push his students to think about their diets and glean that "moderation and variety are key to nutrition."
http://health.usnews.com/health-news/diet-fitness/diet/articles/2010/11/09/health-buzz-junk-food-diet-helped-nutrition-professor-shed-pounds-2.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 1,417 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Fido

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2010 04:13 pm
@dyslexia,
Eating tube steak was the key to my weight loss... I went on that diet and the thought of it took my appetite...
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2010 04:56 pm
Eat less and lose weight? What a concept!
dyslexia

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2010 05:05 pm
@NickFun,
yeah really. It's just freakin' amazing, oh well, time to fix my skinless chicken breasts (tastes just like tofu)
Intrepid

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2010 08:29 pm
@dyslexia,
Try leaving a twinkie sitting out. It will not go bad. Even bacteria won't go near them.
0 Replies