Politics, depression, alcohol and the future......

dlowan

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 03:40 pm
This little story might only be of interest to Australians interested in politics, since it concerns the leader of a minor party, Andrew Bartlett, (the Democrats here are considerably to the left of the US Democrats) - although a minor party which currently holds the balance of power in the Federal Upper House (ie can make or break legislation). However, I think it raises some interesting issues.

The incident being discussed is sort of sad and pathetic (and maybe funny!) - or disgusting and deeply troubling - or both - depending upon how you look at it.

Bartlett attended (as one does) the Liberal (Australia's federal ruling conservative party) Parliamentary Christmas party. He seems to have become sozzled - and is alleged to have absconded with five bottles of Liberal wine. Interestingly, the matter was actually followed up (generally people would let that sort of thing pass in the merriment!) and he was confronted in his offices by a vexed Liberal Senator - he became quite agitated and abusive to her - and followed her onto the floor of the Senate Chamber - which was being televised - abused her and grabbed her when she tried to get away. The story follows from this:

Depressed Bartlett on medication
By Lincoln Wright
December 14, 2003

DEMOCRATS leader Andrew Bartlett's drunken attack on a Liberal senator was linked to his decision to stop taking drugs prescribed to treat clinical depression, it has been revealed.

The Sunday Herald Sun has learned that Senator Bartlett has had psychiatric treatment for his condition and has taken anti-depressants for some time.

"His depression pre-dated his leadership. He talks about it. He's not ashamed to do that," a Democrats source said.

Senator Bartlett came off his medication in the belief he would be at his sharpest for the debate over the Government's Medicare package.

But that is believed to have led to him drinking heavily and clashing with Senator Jeannie Ferris over five bottles of wine she said he took from a Liberal Christmas party.

"I suspect he wanted to clear his mind for the last two weeks of Parliament when legislation is debated and often rushed through," the source said.

"Anti-depressants slowed his thinking. But those rushed weeks required him to think faster. We think that's why he went off medication. It was a matter of striking a balance between what he could take and what he could handle."

Senator Bartlett has spoken of the struggle many Australians face on a daily basis.

"I think that in the past, and still sometimes today, attitudes towards mental illness, towards depression and towards psychological disorders are not as favourable as they should be," he said.

"People with physical illnesses that are easy to see are still much more likely to have their conditions acknowledged than people with psychological illnesses or depression."

The Democrats have given Senator Bartlett a last chance to recover his mental balance. They see his illness as something to be worked through.

But the party could be wiped out at the next election if he remains as leader. Newspoll data indicates the Democrats' share of the vote is between 1 and 2 per cent in Victoria and 1 per cent nationally, but the Bartlett controversy is certain to force that figure down.

Thus far, the Dems are sticking with him. I wonder how many parties would. Should they? Some people might think treated depression a problem for a politician - do you? Does it make a difference how much power they happen to have? Ought this kind of dumb incident to trigger resignation - does it matter that it was caught on the telly? Or are such shenanigans part of the great warp and weft of political life?(The Liberals are demanding his resignation - interestingly, my state's previous Liberal premier, last christmas, got very drunk and harassed a female journalist! She went to the loo to escape him - he followed her in, to "attempt to apologise"! He later said his drink had been "spiked with ecstasy" - no proof offered.....I only found out about that one last night.)

Generally, thank heavens, in Oz, pollies' private lives are off limits - unless matters are directly related to politics - thought there has recently been a sad decline from that custom in relation to the new leader of the opposition. They do not that often, though, get caught on camera mucking up in the House!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,600 • Replies: 25
No top replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 04:03 pm
I'd love to see statistics on the level of depression since the liberals came to power. I'd wager there's almost certainly been an increase.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 04:22 pm
LOL! And a mirror rise in the Lib folk when Labor gets in!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 05:23 pm
Dlowan--

Thanks to my marriages into interesting families, I have some experience with the thought processes of the Chemically Imbalanced. My guess, having no medical credentials and never having met the gentleman, is that Mr. Bartlett decided that since he was no longer depressed (thanks to the medication) that he didn't need the medication any more.

Further, while medicated for depression, he had been deprived of the manic highs that balance the depressive lows. Perhaps he missed these feelings of god-like power.

Of course, Bartlett chose to stop his meds--just as he chose to look on the wine when 'twas red. Since he's a loyal party man, I'm glad the party is being loyal to him.

Still, had he been drinking and driving and accosted his fellow in an ATV, I doubt that he'd have any supporters.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 05:26 pm
I don't think there is any question, so far, of bi-polar, Noddy!

That would indeed be a worry.

Yes - drunk in charge of a country seems not so clearly worthy of punishment as in charge of an automobile! But - there are less hecks and balances in a car...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 05:40 pm
I admit that I could be wrong about bi-polar. My family connections tend to be complicated lunatics.

I am fairly certainly that drinking while being medicated for Depression is a major no-no. I've known at least two Certified Cases of Depression who have elected to stop their meds for the holiday season so they can eat and drink and be merry.

Of course any idiocy that makes the airwaves and is carried into the living rooms of any nation invites speculation.

Making a fool of yourself on television is even dumber than making a fool of yourself in public.

By the by, your national scandal is small potatoes compared to:

http://www.poconorecord.com/topstory/

Among the charges is one of public drunkness. He's an admitted alcoholic who either fell off the wagon or was glassy-eyed, slurred-of-speech and staggering for some other reason. According to his lawyer he's in Rehab not because he was drunk and out of bounds, but because these politically motivated charges are very stressful and he might be tempted to take a wee nip to calm his nerves.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 05:42 pm
BTW Deb, the dems don't really hold the balance of power. The libs only had to get the 4 independents on side to get their education reforms through.

In other words, 4 people run this country, based on what favours they are able to obtain for their own electorates.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 05:54 pm
Well, as a Zoloft dependent mammal myself, I haev to agree with noddy. It is pretty common to decide "I'm not as depressed, and I don't want to deal with the insomnia, nausea, and (ahem) "inability to fire the shot " problems, so I'm going off my meds. A month later, when one finds oneself listeining to Joy Division,and comntemplating painting your windows black, one returns the the psychiatrist and says : " I think I should go back on my meds." Confused
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 06:01 pm
It is our Constitutional duties as citizens of Democratic Republics, to elect and support , those who , otherwise would be totally unemployable.
We in the US celebrate the fact that our politicians are among the stupidest amoral sots on the planet. We grant them tenure and sufficeint chemicals to keep them constantly medicated. So we applaud the progress tha Australia is achieving in its political evolution into a
Parliamentary Inebriocracy
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 06:07 pm
When I was on Zoloft, I found that the inability to "fire the shot" wore off after a while. I can't use the stuff now. It has the opposite effect on me now that it's supposed to.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 06:20 pm
Yeah, well..lets just say my partners enjoy my stamina. Wink
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 06:21 pm
Hmmm - as to "the shot" - I understand most anti-depressants delay the firing, rather than stop it completely - which is, within reason, often of some convenience to the shooter's partner!

Hmmm - so, if one holds a great deal of power, (eg President of the US) ought one to be free of such things as depression, or to have found a good doctor/family/advisers who will tell one firmly that one needs to stay on one's meds, or when one needs to re-commence?

As a further issue, some of the meds have odd side-effects - eg Prozac can induce rage and agitation - any thoughts?

Farmerman - I refuse to subscribe to your saturnine views! Some of my best friends are politicians! I would say, in fact, that drinking has probably lessened amongst Oz's pollies in the last 20 years. (My poor friends barely touch a drop now - I was at a party last night with most of the state cabinet - poor darlins can barely muster the energy to raise a glass, now - they work so hard and long - not like a few years ago!)

(Edit - Zoloft changed to Prozac)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 06:24 pm
LOL! Snap, Hobitbob!

The four folk are pretty much the way politics is these days, Wilso - the senate seems to be used by the electorate as a kind of counter-balance to whichever party is in power - no wonder all ruling parties want to get rid of it - and all oppositions want to keep it! It has saved our bacon here in SA a few times.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 06:41 pm
Zoloft-does induce rage and agitation in me now. It didn't several years ago.

I'm med free at the moment though.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 06:59 pm
Hmm - I just changed that to prozac - now I am confused!!! I will ask at work tomorrow.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 07:11 pm
As I understand it, Zoloft and Prozac are pretty similar.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 07:14 pm
Prolly...
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 07:19 pm
the SSRIs are fascinating from the Neurobiological standpoint, and I admit that without them I would have likely ceased metabolizing in the mid 1990s.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 07:47 pm
They are indeed- and for a variety of things...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 08:55 pm
I was irate to no avail when my 99 year old aunt was taken off of them because of the side effects to her heart. On zoloft, she was telling comical stories again...
0 Replies