Marriage and the Presidency

Ibredd

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 03:02 pm
Marriage is a state of being where two people become one. The Presidency of this country is where one may serve for two terms of four years far a total of eight years.
Now it is reported that one called Hillary wants to become president after serving two terms in that office, seems to me that by running for this office is just another way for this person to thumb her nose at Marrriage and the laws of this land.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,517 • Replies: 25
No top replies

ebrown p

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 03:14 pm
First, I will assume you are talking about Marriage.

Second, this post is about the silliest I have read in a long time. Hillary has never been president of the United States -- not even once.

There is nothing in our laws that prohibits the spouse of a former president (or son for that matter) from becoming president.

Geesh!
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 03:16 pm
What's the matter Ibredd...get tired of picking fights next door?

This is the stereotypical Ibredd post.....but wait, according to TOS I need to address the post not the poster...I shall stop. Please excuse.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 03:16 pm
I should also point out that the "two becoming one" bit is a religious, not a legal concept. Our laws do not contain these words and there are many ways that married folk are considered individuals under the law.
0 Replies

Ibredd

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 03:25 pm
Marring is a religious act, non believers only need a contract, and they can word it as they please.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 03:27 pm
I find this post to have exactly the same worth and value as when it was posted word for word in Abuzz in a thread entitled "Hitlery" earlier today....
namely none.

Although I recognize the remarks as an attempt at humour and wit, IMO it fails completely.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 03:35 pm
Marring may be a religious act.

Marrying is a legal act (that is why I went to city hall for a liscence instead of the Pope).

Becoming president is likewise a legal act.

You may see a Hillary Clinton presidency as heresy, but it is not illegal.

You might try burning her at the stake though.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 03:44 pm
What a ridiculous "question".
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 03:57 pm
Quote:
Marring is a religious act

Yup. Religion does mar many otherwise spotless things. Wink
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 04:43 pm
Jeez!
0 Replies

Ibredd

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 04:45 pm
Yes Marriage is a religious act being it done in the Church or on the court house steps one still affirms to principles set out in the garden of Eden, and by stating you are married says you believe God is the Creator. Note just two things that came out of the Garden of Eden one is the worship day the other is Marriage and by practicing either you are a follower of the Creator.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 04:46 pm
Ibredd...ever heard of commas?
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 04:53 pm
Okay, lets take this mostly (incoherent post) apart and look at it:

Ibredd wrote:
Yes Marriage is a religious act being it done in the Church or on the court house steps

Well. actually, by being married at court, one is perfomring a civil, rather than religious ceremony.

Quote:
one still affirms to principles set out in the garden of Eden,

er...I haev no idea where you got that one. The earliest examples of marriage come from Mesopotamia.

Quote:
and by stating you are married says you believe God is the Creator.

You obviously were married with a different ceremony than the rest of humanity. Marriage was, and until the mid 19th century, remained a social and civil contract representing the acquicition of material godds or political advantages to the families of the two parties. Companionate marriage didn't show up until the later 18th century, and even then the socio-political aspects of marriage remained more prominent.

Quote:
Note just two things that came out of the Garden of Eden one is the worship day

Which one? For many Christians, it is Sunday. For Jews and Muslims, Friday, for non Abrahaic faiths "worship days" vary greatly.

Quote:
the other is Marriage and by practicing either you are a follower of the Creator.

Actually, if you read the creation epic, you may find that Adam and Eve aren't actually married, but merely boinking. I'm sure Adam would likely have traded up had Britney been around. Wink
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 05:00 pm
Ibredd,

The creator has nothing to do with my marriage. My vows were to my wife and my family.

Other than the fact we both exist, we didn't really need a Creator. Regardless of that fact, the law still gives me rights and responsibilites, e.g. inheritance and spousal priviledge.

That part about "becoming one" is talking about sex right?

If so, my wife and I were one long before we were married, legally or otherwise.

Sorry but that's just how I was created.
0 Replies

Ibredd

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 06:02 pm
ebrown_p
You are right God has nothing to do with your marriage as it was a gift to man and man can do with it as he pleases, but Marriage is still a religious act as marriage has been a ceremony in all types of religion sence the beginning of time, so if you say you are married then you or stating you believe in God the creator or in some other form of religion, so in some sence you are a practicing religionist
0 Replies

Ibredd

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 06:26 pm
Let me say it this way Marriage was established by God or if like by some sort of religion, so in any case if you state you are married you are practicing some sort of religion.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 06:31 pm
Ibredd wrote:
Let me say it this way

i.e. : sans commas!

Quote:
Marriage was established by God or if like by some sort of religion, /

Your opinion.

Quote:
so in any case if you state you are married you are practicing some sort of religion.

No, you don't read what others write, do you?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 09:28 pm
Would you feel OK about Hillary becoming president if she and Bill were to divorce?
0 Replies

Ibredd

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 10:56 pm
Well no as she claimed to be one with Bill at the time, but I guess she could get a catholic divorce where they claim that it never happened.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 11:19 pm
Ibredd wrote:
Well no as she claimed to be one with Bill at the time, but I guess she could get a catholic divorce where they claim that it never happened.

Its called an annullment. Since neither are Catholic, that might be difficult.
0 Replies