each = each person?

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 07:04 am

NHS needs 2.5million units of donated blood every year (each person needs half a litre?)?

Context:

The NHS depends on up to 2.5million units of donated blood – each half a litre – every year for urgent transfusions and platelets for cancer sufferers.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 717 • Replies: 16
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 07:06 am
It means that each unit of blood is a half litre, so it only means each person inferentially. (Each person can only donate one unit of a half litre once in two months.) It does not mean that each person received a half litre of blood.
oristarA

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 07:15 am
@Setanta,
Here is the problem: A litre is 1000 ml, so a half litre is 500 ml. But the data in my hand indicates that one unit of blood is 200 ml.
oristarA

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 07:20 am
@Setanta,
Another problem for understanding:

The safe amount of blood one donates each time is 200ml. One cannot donate more than 400ml blood. That is, 400ml is the maximum amount of blood one can donate each time.
Setanta

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 07:26 am
That information is incorrect, and quixotically so. In the United States a unit of blood is typically a pint. (That's just fractionally more than 473 mililitres.) In most places in the world, a unit of blood is 450 or 500 mililitres.

Quote:
According to Canadian Blood Services, a unit of blood is approximately 450 ml. The amount of blood in one person is five litres or 10.5 pints. On average, 4.6 units of blood are required per patient.

Source at answers-dot-com

Quote:
A unit (up to 500 ml) is typically administered over 4 hours

Source in the Wikipedia article on blood transfusion.

I spent three years in the United States Army Medical Corps. Our standard unit of blood was one U. S. Standard pint--473 mililitres. Additionally, i've donated blood all my life, because my blood type is AB+, a rare blood type (15 in 1000 people). Although the United States continues to use U. S. Standard measurement, medical services have largely switched to the metric system, and donations of blood or plasma (the latter can be sold by the donor to the donation center) are made in 500 mililitre units.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 07:28 am
@oristarA,
That is false--see my previous reply. In fact, because my blood type is relatively rare (only B- and AB- are more rare), i often have donated once in each six week period, because it is harder to meet the demand for rare blood types.
JPB

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 07:38 am
@oristarA,
Quote:
But the data in my hand indicates that one unit of blood is 200 ml

Look at your data in context of what is being transfused. Whole blood collections are approx 0.5 litres, but whole blood is almost never transfused. The plasma, platelets, and red blood cells are separated into separate components for transfusion with the plasma equaling approx 0.25L, the rbcs approx 200ml, and the plts approx 50ml.
oristarA

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 07:44 am
@Setanta,

Thank you Setanta.

I've read through your replies twice, solved the first problem, but am still not sure about the second (" each half a litre " = each time a person donates 500 ml blood?).
So each time you'd donated 500ml blood?

Setanta

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 07:46 am
In the Army, i was donating one pint (473 mililitres), but yes, after i had left the army, i'd donate 500 mililitres each time i donated, and because my blood type is rare, they usually asked me to come back in six weeks, rather than the more common eight weeks.
oristarA

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 07:47 am
@JPB,
Thanks.

Grammatically speaking , "each a half litre" in the context means "each person donates a half litre of whole blood ?"
oristarA

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 07:48 am
@Setanta,
I admire you Set.

You're kindhearted and intelligent.
Setanta

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 07:49 am
@oristarA,
You're missing the point. It only means that inferentially. We can infer that this is the case, because it means that each unit is one half litre, and we know that an individual only donates one unit at a time.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 07:49 am
@oristarA,
I seem to recall that some Asian countries collect less volume per donation but allow more frequent donations than the west.
Setanta

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 07:50 am
@oristarA,
It's very decent of you to say so, i appreciate your kind remark.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 07:52 am
@oristarA,
Each donation is half a litre of whole blood (unless you're talking about pheresis donations, but we won't go there unless that's what you're reading about).

A donor (person) presents to donate a unit of whole blood. That unit is approximately 500mls. The "each" refers to the unit, not the donor.
oristarA

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 08:00 am
@JPB,
Got it.

Thank you!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 10:28 am
@JPB,
This is what I was looking for...

There are large differences in donation policies and practices in different parts of the world.

Quote:
According to traditional Chinese medicine (TCM), donating 200-400ml of blood once every two years - not more frequently - is not a problem and may even enhance the body's ability to produce more blood.

In the West, whole blood can be donated every eight weeks, but regular donors usually give two or three times a year. Some people donate out of charitable impulse: No preparation is required - just good health. Afterward, donors are usually given some juice and cookies for energy, observed for 20 minutes or so for possible dizziness - and then they're on their way.

Because donating is a big deal in China, two weeks' advance preparation is ideal before donating - lots of rest, no vigorous sports and lots of nourishing food. That's why people are notified two weeks in advance of their donation appointments.

And after donating, two weeks' rest is recommended - no work and more nourishing, energy-reinforcing food to build up the blood and energy (recipes below). And still many people are reluctant to donate.

According to Western medicine theory, a 200ml donation of blood only represents five to 10 percent of the total in a healthy adult. The blood loss is quickly made up and a healthy adult can recover completely in 10 days after donation.

As TCM attaches great importance to blood as the carrier of nutrition and source of energy, it also emphasizes the need to help the blood regenerate quickly. Source

I've also seen many references to donation volume of 200ml and >300ml. I recall from previous reading that some countries collect half-units from smaller people (women, and smaller men) and full units from others, based on weight and health.
0 Replies