I see the first sets of patients as being patients suffering from leukaemia?

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 06:34 am

1) First sets of patients = first groups of patients?
2) As being = ? (What I don't understand is: If the patients were leukaemia patients, they are leukaemia patients no doubt; if the patients were the patients with rheumatism, how can see them as leukaemia patients? I guess I've misread the gramma.)

Context:

Researcher Mick Bhatia, of McMaster University in Hamilton, said: ‘I see the first sets of patients as being patients suffering from leukaemia.
'Being able to take skin cells and convert them into healthy blood, specifically adult blood, would provide a great substitute product to hopefully out-compete those leukaemia cells.’
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 464 • Replies: 5
No top replies

JPB

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 07:58 am
@oristarA,
Without see the article I have to guess that the researcher is suggesting that the first group of individuals to try this new therapy on will be leukemia patients. It would be done under a clinical protocol, on a very small study group in the beginning and then expand into a larger group and other groups from there.
JPB

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 08:00 am
@oristarA,
Oh... I understand your question now. You're wondering about the use of the word "see". In this context he means "envision" He's thinking about where to go next with his research and "sees" = "envisions" leukemia patients as the first group.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 08:04 am
@JPB,
I've just seen the news report:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1327537/Need-blood-Soon-grow-British-scientists-hail-skin-cell-breakthrough.html
JPB

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 08:11 am
@oristarA,
see=envision

also, by "adult blood" they don't mean blood that adults have vs blood that children have. It means mature red cells, not new cells that are produced in the bone marrow and sometimes pushed into circulation too soon when trying to combat anemia.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 12:34 pm
I am going to do some woodwork. I see my first project as being a table.
0 Replies