Spidergal's sport rehab thread

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 05:52 am
It sucks to be injured. But I’ve figured the only way to deal with it is to, well, deal with it.

Here’s the background you need on my situation: I’ve some extra weight around my waist and thighs, which I’ve struggled to shed for a number of years. In the month of October I decided that this has to be it - that I’m finally going to do shed those pounds.

I worked hard at the gym – did cardio and some of the floor exercises, initially under the instructor’s supervision and then on my own. After I had been there 20 days, the place was shut down for renovation. So for about three days I didn’t workout at all. I was just about to register at another gym, but before I could even do that, I felt strain around my shoulders, elbow and wrist.

A sort of burning sensation pervaded through both the hands. There wasn’t any noticeable swelling or redness, but I could hear the occasional clicking sound when I moved my hands around.

In addition to that, a previous problem I encountered in my left knee, which was discussed in this thread http://able2know.org/topic/101813-1, flared up.

So basically, I’m screwed. And I hold myself at least partially accountable for this mess..

But I’ve been quick on the action front: I visited an orthopedic physician last Wednesday (It was Tuesday when all of this began). He moved my limbs around and did not find any major issue, and prescribed an anti-inflammatory (not Ibuprofen) and an Ayurvedic gel for applying on the concerned joints. He also recommended a bit of heat therapy.

I’ve been on medication for five days now. Been applying the gel, etc., and doing a bit of heat treatment.

The burning sensation is almost gone, so I’m guessing the inflammation is under control. However, I hear the occasional snap/click, and apart from that, I feel a general discomfort in moving my hands. Don’t me wrong, I’m able to function. I walk around, take the shower, even do laundry, but there’s always discomfort. My movements aren’t smooth. They don’t feel natural. Does that make sense?

I’m due to visit him again this Wednesday, and I’ll propose if I can use compression bandage on the affected joints. I also want him to determine what it is – a strain or a sprain – and whether I’ll require any scans.

My sport rehabilitation has officially started, and I could do with some motivation here. Thanks.

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 05:58 am

Motivation: GOOD LUCK !

David
spidergal

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 05:58 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Thanks, OmSigDAVID!
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 06:03 am
Link to the thread where I discussed the previous knee problem doesn't seem to work in the OP.

Here it is, again, btw: http://able2know.org/topic/101813-2
jespah

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 06:41 am
@spidergal,
So, ouch.

Understood.

Can you do something very minor, to start? I think one of the problems is we, as humans, aren't always so patient with ourselves as we should be. So we overdo it. If you think you can go for 10 minutes, go for 5. Lift 20 lbs.? Go for 10. And so on. The time to increase is later, but I suspect if you slowly (under your doctor's care and with his/her blessing, of course) get back into it, it'll help to assure that this doesn't happen again (or it isn't as bad if it does).

Hang in there.
sozobe

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 06:54 am
@spidergal,
I really, really hate to advise not to worry about a medical problem, especially one as vague as this, because I'm not a medical doctor and who knows?

But, with that major caveat out of the way, I work out regularly and that doesn't sound that unusual for just regular aches and pains. I get them (in a way I didn't when I was younger, you're still much younger than I am but about the age I was when that sort of thing started to happen, I think), then they go away.

The clicking especially is something I've experienced and was told it was due to inflammation. I was told to keep an eye on it but to not worry about it too much in and of itself. It comes and goes, and definitely has something to do with how often and how well I'm working out. (Not enough and I get creaky, especially short-term. Too much and I get clicky and sore. If I work out well [which I define as a good balance of exercises -- opposite muscles for example -- and not overdoing it], I'm fine.)

The lack of smooth/ natural feeling is always my signal to get back to the gym, if I'm not keeping a regular schedule. I feel smoother and more natural when I'm working out regularly.

Note, I haven't clicked on the info re: your knee yet, just talking about the rest of it right now.
sozobe

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 06:59 am
@sozobe,
OK, I looked at the knee stuff. So, what was the conclusion at the time? Bursitis, or no?

It sounds like you may be overdoing it when you exercise -- this stuff happens. I've had a workout buddy for a few years and my husband just took up exercising seriously a couple of years ago, one of the three of us pretty much constantly have something like this going on. Especially when we started a new workout routine or went back to working out after a break. 20 days is not long at all.

So from what you've said so far, and with abundant caveats, I'd suggest going ahead and working out in a low-key way, keeping it consistent and balanced, and expecting that there will be some aches and pains along the way. With the advice of a doctor, as you have been doing.
spidergal

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 07:10 am
@jespah,
Jes, yes, I think I was impatient and overtrained. I was spending 90 minutes at the gym everyday, which is not much for regular gym-goers, but for someone like me who works out on and off, that might have been pushing it.

The ortho asked me to limit all activity for at least a week, and that can only do me good I think, if this indeed is a strain/sprain type of injury.

spidergal

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 07:17 am
@sozobe,
Yes, agreed, this is very vague at this point, Sozobe. But the ortho said it's something to do with the gym, and that the meds should take care of it.

I've been reading about this stuff, and clicking seems to be a common thing. And it usually accompanies sprain.

About getting back to working out, I can't of course do it for a week before the actual problem can be determined. I mean, what if this is - and that's pushing it - the beginning of arthritis or something more grave...
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 07:27 am
@sozobe,
Re: the knee problem.

The x-ray showed nothing extra-ordinary. And the orthopedic surgeon, a friend of my dad's - who is himself a doc (oncologist) - we took this to came up with a weird theory about how a patellar cartilage had elevated due to rigorous jogging and maybe also suddenly stopping it. He said it's a genetic thing and the jogging only exposed it. He said I should slowly get back to walking and running, and the problem will disappear.

I did the exercises his in-house physio told me to do. Then after a month or so, I left for the university. And amid all the challenges that graduate school had to present, forgot all about the knee. The problem never really recurred, though I kept going to the gym on and off.

0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 08:35 am
@spidergal,
spidergal wrote:

Jes, yes, I think I was impatient and overtrained. I was spending 90 minutes at the gym everyday, which is not much for regular gym-goers, but for someone like me who works out on and off, that might have been pushing it.

Exclamation Yes, that's too heavy for just starting out.
spidergal

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 10:30 am
@sozobe,
Guilty as charged.

I know what the rules are, but I was just blinded by weight-loss goals.
spidergal

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 10:37 am
Okay.

Day six round-up.

Mostly was at home. Had the knee caps on. As I retire today, I feel the movements are much smoother.

There's very minimal pain, but I still notice the clicking. However, the clicking is not painful, so that's good news.

There's no noticeable inflammation.

I'm going to be home tomorrow as well. Hope this is adequate rest because I have to get back to work on Wed. And also see the doc.

If I get the all-clear from the doc - and this is nothing but sprain/strain - the next goal would be to work with the physio to get the strength back in my joints before I can start my training.

Thanks for all your advice and thoughts.
sozobe

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 10:39 am
@spidergal,
...and then when you get back to training, start slow. Work up to things. My amateur advice is not more than three days a week, no more than an hour each session, for at least a month. Then you can start adding stuff. IMO.
spidergal

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 10:41 am
@sozobe,
You're right, Sozobe.

Ah, time to apply the gel.
sozobe

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 10:44 am
@spidergal,
Good luck!
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 12:43 pm
Can you do water aerobics? They are the safest, as far as joint protection.

90 minute workout is too long for the first-timer.

Were you under the watchful eye of a trainer? He/she would have never allowed such strenuous exercises to start out.

Easy does it. Work up to that 90 minutes slowly.
jespah

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 12:50 pm
@spidergal,
spidergal wrote:
Guilty as charged.

I know what the rules are, but I was just blinded by weight-loss goals.

Totally understood, and I have been (am) there myself. But 1 hr 3x/week for 1 month is far better than 90 minutes for 5 days and then nothing for the rest of the month because you're in too much pain.

It's a marathon, not a sprint.
spidergal

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 12:52 pm
@PUNKEY,
Never heard about water aerobics, and I'm not sure I'd find something like that where I live.

I have done aerobics before, and maybe I should have just continued with the aerobics + some cardio.

Anyway...
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 12:58 pm
@jespah,
I know what you mean. Even my dad says I should continue with some light exercise at home. But honestly, I'm scared I'll screw my joints further.

I'll talk to the doc when I see him Wed if I can get back to physical activity. Some brisk walking at least can't harm.
0 Replies