Spidergal's sport rehab thread

talk72000

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 02:32 pm
@spidergal,
Exercise alone will not help you lose weight. Muscle is heavier than fat. You need to eat raw food like veggies and nuts. Make sure the veggies are cleaned and maybe use vinegar as bacteria may still be there. I used to eat sliced cucumbers salted and peppered once in a while. Thery were good. Raw food have enzymes that help the body digest food floating in your blood stream. I was surprised to see a sample of my blood. There were a lot of food like tomato particles, meat and so on floating in my blood undigested. Cooked food lack the enzymes as heat destroys the enzymes. Reducing carbohydrates would help.
PUNKEY

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 03:19 pm
I have never heard of undigested food floating around in the Blood. In the stool, perhaps. Please explain.
jespah

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 05:09 pm
@PUNKEY,
It's a raw food diet. I personally don't subscribe to them.

There are plenty of ways to lose weight. They involve intaking fewer calories than you expend. Details differ but you need to get nutrients. And talk to a registered dietician about what you're supposed to be eating.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 06:17 pm
@PUNKEY,
Get someone with a microscope and have a medical technician take a sample of your blood - just a prick of your finger will do. He/she can identify food particles in your blood. I was shown it and he identified what I ate that morning.
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2010 11:07 am
@talk72000,
Of course, I wasn't relying on exercise alone. I was taking care of the diet, too. And now since I've had to stop exercise, I'm even more cautious.

Great fan of the six-meal-a-day plan.

Btw, what is that stuff about food floating in the blood? Since when did our food start floating in blood?

Food doesn't float in the blood of course. Nutrients, after they have been absorbed into it after digestion, do.
spidergal

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2010 11:17 am
Okay, now for the update.

Day seven rehab

* Went ahead and wrapped compression bandages around the affected joints. Compression seems to work.

* Noticed less clicking while showering - good news.

* Still unease around shoulder joints. Obviously couldn't find any compression stuff for those at the drug store.

* Was generally positive about the situation - feel can get through this and come out victorious. Though a little worried about the left knee.

* Visiting doc tomorrow. Preparing loads of questions. Want to get all doubts cleared? Even stupid-sounding "Could I be having arthritis?" I mean, you never know.

Off to apply the gel now.
talk72000

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2010 05:12 pm
@spidergal,
The food, I guess, pass thru the guts undigested. Of course, meats you got to cook but fruits, veggies like tomato, cucumbers, carrots, cauliflower, lettuce, etc. and nuts could be eaten raw. The Japanese Sushi has raw fish and Scandinavian also eat raw fish - I saw that at an Icelandic restaurant in New York City. I think any plant food can be eaten raw provided they are cleaned and with pathogens removed. Some use fast steaming for veggies (e.g. like a minute)
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2010 01:31 pm
@spidergal,
Take dancing especially South American. Rita Moreno really have the best gams.

http://www.wowowow.com/files/imagecache/508x349/2008_0828_wireimage.jpg

http://www.wowowow.com/photo-essay/best-legs-list-cindy-mccain-sarah-jessica-parker-brooke-shields-barbara-walters-90776

Running hurts the knees with the impact loads.
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Sat 27 Nov, 2010 06:14 am
Week 3 (I guess)
I feel sorry for myself for not updating this thread regularly, one reason for which is I got gradually better.
However, here's the update post the doc appointment.

1. Had a somewhat lengthy chat with my doc, and he made one thing abundantly clear - after another round of check-ups involving bending and rotating limbs - that whatever I'm having will not result in any sort of disabiilty in the future. He added that these things (aches, snapping, etc.) might recur as "irritants" once in a while though. Wasn't too happy with that last explanation, but what have I got here?

2. He recommened infrarential physiotherapy, which I did - for a day. The physio - who's a graduate student apparently (this is a teaching hospital, fyi) - decided - after bending and rotating my limbs again - that there was no need for physio treatment. She suggested some exercises which I'm supposed to do every day for three weeks. I've missed a day here and there, but mostly I've been regularly doing them. I also use heat when I have time on the affected joints.

Results:

I'm definately better. The snaps and pops have reduced in number, but have not disappeared. My guess is they'll eventually just go.

The left knee - which did not heal properly after the bursitis like thing two years back - is also better, but sometimes gets exhausted very quickly.

I'm a little bored of this phase of inactivity, and will hit the street tomorrow for a brisk walk.

My goal is to chart progress for two weeks, and then visit the doc and the physio again.

And I've also decided I'm going to run the NYC Marathon in 2012. There cannot be a better inspiration right now for me.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 27 Nov, 2010 07:11 am
swimming is very good excecise. Many professional sports people use swimming and water activity when recovering from injury.
spidergal

Reply Sat 27 Nov, 2010 07:28 am
@dadpad,
Dp I have been thinking of taking up swimming!

In fact, I and one of my colleagues were actually discussing of starting right away. I will obviously have to get my physio's go-ahead before diving in, but I'm definitely considering it a possibility.
spidergal

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 05:26 am
@spidergal,
Following my recent grueling journey back home and return, the pain returned. I visited the hospital, but my orthoped, it turned out, was on leave. So I went to another orthoped on duty that day.

I think he's nailed it. He said it's a condition called chondromalacia patella. I don't even know how to pronounce the freakin' thing.

My mind is racing right now. I think I need sleep. And Dad.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 08:07 am
Glad you got a diagnosis.

But remember, it's not life threatening. It's treatable!!

Are you taking any meds? Anti-inflammatory?

https://health.google.com/health/ref/Chondromalacia+patella
spidergal

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 08:13 am
@PUNKEY,
Hi Punk,

Yes, I think this IS the thing. I looked up the condition, and it sounds exactly like what I've had.

I asked him if I could get an MRI. He said no MRI machine in the city (this is a freakin' small Indian town) is likely to detect it. So it may be a while before I get a scan.

He's prescribed a med called Lefax G - it's not available in the US as far as I know, so you won't know about it.

It contains an ingredient called glucosamine which is used for cartilage strengthening. I've had a chat with my dad (he's a doc himself, so I wanted reassurance on the safety of the drug), and he says it should not be a problem.

I'm trying to put together a rehab plan for myself. Will update soon.
roger

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 12:09 pm
@spidergal,
I have had fabulous results from glucosamine for chronic joint pain. I've no idea what it actually does. Generally, you need to take it for a month before it has any effect. For what it's worth, I've never seen it recommended for injuries, but who knows? Anyhow, I'm sure it won't hurt anything.
spidergal

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 10:00 am
@roger,
Roger,
I've known of people with joint problems benefiting from glucosamine supplements. Just curious, what exactly was your joint issue? Was it ortheoarthritis, by any chance?

roger wrote:

I have had fabulous results from glucosamine for chronic joint pain. I've no idea what it actually does. Generally, you need to take it for a month before it has any effect. For what it's worth, I've never seen it recommended for injuries, but who knows? Anyhow, I'm sure it won't hurt anything.
talk72000

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 02:04 pm
@spidergal,
It appears your ligaments are wearing thin. Most joint problems can be traced to ligaments. Take fish oil or (forget following if you are a vegetarian) cook chicken feet with low heat to soften the chicken ligaments or ( first cover the chicken feet in oil) boil slowly in soup form for 3 or 4 hours. Your ligaments need lubricants and nourishment.
spidergal

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2011 08:16 am
@talk72000,
talk72000 wrote:

It appears your ligam
ents are wearing thin. Most joint problems can be traced to ligaments. Take fish oil or (forget following if you are a vegetarian) cook chicken feet with low heat to soften the chicken ligaments or ( first cover the chicken feet in oil) boil slowly in soup form for 3 or 4 hours. Your ligaments need lubricants and nourishment.

Talk,
This is mostly likely not a ligament problem. Both the doctors did not find any sort of ligament tear or damage after the physical examination. In fact, I specifically asked them if I'd damaged a ligament, but they were very clear about this not being a ligament issue.
PUNKEY

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2011 10:29 am
http://orthopedics.about.com/od/imagingtheknee/ig/Knee/Anatomy.htm

Is it the wearing down of the meniscus?
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2011 09:10 pm
@spidergal,
Many beginners start exercising vigorously. It is too much for the body to cope. Beginners should start in small steps. Also dieting should be considered as you need protein to help muscle repair and buildup.
0 Replies