Memorable things characters said

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2010 12:24 am

Every time I think about "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn." -- Rhett Butler's parting words to Scarlett O' Hara in Gone With the Wind -- I get goosebumps. There's something very striking, penetrating about that statement.

Howard Roark's "But I don't think of you." from Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead, for whatever reason, had a near similar effect.

What are some dialogs, things characters said that have stayed with you? And why?

roger

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2010 12:50 am
@spidergal,
Oh, dang. I read the title as "Miserable things characters said", and I was wracking my brain for the many examples I've seen.
spidergal

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2010 12:53 am
@roger,
Laughing
Roberta

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2010 01:14 am
@spidergal,
On a lighter note, I remember Joe E. Brown at the end of Some Like It Hot telling Jack Lemmon that "Nobody's perfect," when he finds out that Lemmon is a man. Love that.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2010 06:45 am
In How Green Was My Valley, the protagonist, Huw Morgan, is ridiculed in school by his teacher for having pronounced "misled" as "mizzled." He then retorts:

"I can't be blamed for having read more words than i've ever heard spoken."
djjd62

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2010 06:53 am
in stardust memories, woody allen in an autobiographical type role plays director sandy bates, who is greeted with the same line from almost everyone he meets, "we love your films, especially the earlier funny ones"
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2010 07:21 am
@spidergal,
"I know what you're thinkin': Did he fire 6 shots or only 5? Well to tell you the truth in all this excitement I've kinda lost track myself, but bein' this is a .44 magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well do ya, punk?"

Clint Eastwood as Harry Calahan in Dirty Harry

contrex

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2010 07:32 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

"I can't be blamed for having read more words than i've ever heard spoken."

I was a child like that. Luckily I found out that the word was not pronounced thus before I was embarrassed in the way that Huw was.
plainoldme

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2010 07:34 am
I remember a line, "Nothing's so rum [that] it can't be true." (I'm not certain the word "that" is in it.) I thought it was from Saul Bellow's Humboldt's Gift, which I originally read as soon as it came out in paperback. I reread the book in 2007 or 2008 and that line is not in there. Embarrassed

I wonder where it was? Doesn't seem a likely line from Bellow's The Dean's December. Tried googling it several times over the years. I know I did not make it up.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2010 07:36 am
@contrex,
I ran across the word ludicrous before i had ever seen the word ridiculous in print, and assumed that the former was just some goofy spelling for the latter--grown-ups being the idjits that they obviously were. So, one day i was called upon in class to spell, aloud, the word ridiculous. So, i start out "l-u-d-". . . and all the other children broke out laughing, and Mr. Tanner told me i could sit down.
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2010 07:50 am
With great power, comes great responsibility. - Peter Parker (Spiderman 2)

How could I forget that one!
spidergal

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2010 07:52 am
@Setanta,
I've had problems with that word too. I remember mentally mispronouncing it while reading many times.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2010 07:53 am
@spidergal,
not only the film but the comic books before that, probably one of the most iconic comic book quotes ever
spidergal

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2010 07:56 am
@djjd62,
Ah, ok.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2010 07:56 am
@Intrepid,
along the same line from Death Wish 2

Bronson's character, Paul Kersey, is pointing his gun at a thug wearing a crucifix

Paul Kersey: Do you believe in Jesus?
Stomper: Yes I do.
Paul Kersey: Well, you're gonna meet him.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2010 08:04 am
Bill Murray's speech from Stripes

Cut it out! Cut it out! Cut it out! The hell's the matter with you?! Stupid! We're all very different people. We're not Watusi. We're not Spartans. We're Americans, with a capital 'A', huh? You know what that means? Do ya? That means that our forefathers were kicked out of every decent country in the world. We are the wretched refuse. We're the underdog. We're mutts! Here's proof: his nose is cold! But there's no animal that's more faithful, that's more loyal, more loveable than the mutt. Who saw "Old Yeller?" Who cried when Old Yeller got shot at the end? [raises his hand] Nobody cried when Old Yeller got shot? I'm sure. [hands are reluctantly raised] I cried my eyes out. So we're all dogfaces, we're all very, very different, but there is one thing that we all have in common: we were all stupid enough to enlist in the Army. We're mutants. There's something wrong with us, something very, very wrong with us. Something seriously wrong with us - we're soldiers. But we're American soldiers! We've been kicking ass for 200 years! We're 10 and 1! Now we don't have to worry about whether or not we practiced. We don't have to worry about whether Captain Stillman wants to have us hung. All we have to do is to be the great American fighting soldier that is inside each one of us. Now do what I do, and say what I say. And make me proud.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2010 08:05 am
and this from fight club

Man, I see in Fight Club the strongest and smartest men who've ever lived. I see all this potential, and I see it squandered. God damn it, an entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables – slaves with white collars. Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy **** we don't need. We're the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our great war is a spiritual war. Our great depression is our lives. We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars, but we won't. We're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off.

i think this should be the new american pledge of allegiance
spidergal

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2010 08:07 am
@djjd62,
Oh, Gawd, yes!

I loved the movie - I don't know why - just loved it!
spidergal

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2010 08:09 am
@spidergal,
Quote:
Oh, Gawd, yes!

I loved the movie - I don't know why - just loved it!

Was talking about Fight Club.
wandeljw

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2010 08:17 am
James Mason in the courtroom drama "The Verdict" talked about his first experience losing a case when he was a novice lawyer. When the head of the law firm asked him for an explanation, he insisted that he did his best. He was told: "You are not supposed to do your best. You are supposed to win!"
0 Replies