Philosophy: What's the point?

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2010 10:15 am
I'm curious about what the people who post on this forum see as the purpose, if any, of "doing philosophy." In the philosophical tradition to which I subscribe, there most definitely is a purpose, but it's very much a pre-modern way of thought. I'm wondering especially what any modernists or post-modernists here might have to say. I already know there are a lot of non-philosophers who consider the whole thing a big waste of time.

So what expectations or intentions do you have in philosophizing, if any? Does it or should it affect the way you live? Is there a "downside" to doing or not doing philosophy, or to doing or not doing it in a particular way?

Thanks in advance for any input.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,997 • Replies: 43
No top replies

fresco

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2010 12:35 pm
@Amphiclea,
I think there are a number of possible "reasons" (1) an intellectual exercise (2) an exploration of the nature limits of consciousness (3) a therapy for the deflation of mundane problems (4) the seeking of a vantage point from which to attempt evaluate "non-philosophical" activities of humanity.

But the seeking or suggesting of "purpose" already places you in a position from which may you may not be able to understand some of the activities of post-modernists et al, since goal-directedness comes under scrutiny from category 4 above. And as some esoteric philosophers have remarked..the seeking of answers can be antithetical to finding them.
Amphiclea

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2010 01:11 pm
@fresco,
Oh, I'll readily admit I don't "understand some of the activities of post-modernists et al." And I'm curious about what you mean by "esoteric philosophers." But as far as purpose is concerned, doesn't philosophy (anymore) seek to distinguish true from false and right from wrong? If it does, then doesn't that kind of distinction automatically have implications for life and behavior outside the realm of philosophical discussion?
HexHammer

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2010 01:29 pm
@Amphiclea,
Amphiclea wrote:

I'm curious about what the people who post on this forum see as the purpose, if any, of "doing philosophy." In the philosophical tradition to which I subscribe, there most definitely is a purpose, but it's very much a pre-modern way of thought. I'm wondering especially what any modernists or post-modernists here might have to say. I already know there are a lot of non-philosophers who consider the whole thing a big waste of time.

So what expectations or intentions do you have in philosophizing, if any? Does it or should it affect the way you live? Is there a "downside" to doing or not doing philosophy, or to doing or not doing it in a particular way?
In 99.99999...999% of all cases it's for mere mental mastrubation, nothing is really created/produced here in this forum, nor any other philosophy forum. Most are not very bright, and will rave/babble about all their idiotic things they assume and purely make up.

99.99% of the philosophers in this forum, can't make any of their thesis (babble) make work outside the forum (irl).
Dasein

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2010 01:42 pm
@Amphiclea,
I completely understand your question. The purpose of philosophy is to guide you to the answer of the question "Who Am I?" However authors of philosophy, translators of philosophy, editors of philosophy, people on this forum, etc. (you get the point) treat philosophy as if it is a thing to be understood. There is no value in understanding 'objectified' philosophy. May I suggest you read my latest post "A Message to Michael". I think it clear up alot of your questions.

I will paste a brief excerpt of it here just to 'tease' you a little.

That last sentence needs to be re-stated as to not be overlooked. “In Being-there (Dasein), the way the world is understood is reflected back ontologically upon the way in which Being-there (Dasein) gets interpreted.”

In other words, you interpret who you are as if you are the world you live in. You are not the world you live along side of. Who you are is the 'My' in 'My finger', you are not the 'finger' which is measurable and definable. Just for the hell of it look up 'My' and 'I' in the dictionary. 'My' and 'I' are both defined as “used by a speaker in referring to himself or herself”. They can't be defined, only you have the power to uncover who you are.
0 Replies

Dasein

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2010 01:45 pm
@Amphiclea,
I didn't how easy it isn't to find my post so here is the link. http://able2know.org/topic/163653-1
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2010 01:48 pm
@HexHammer,
...are you sure its not 99.87% instead ? hummm Hex I wonder were do you get those numbers... Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2010 04:29 pm
@Amphiclea,
Quote:
doesn't philosophy (anymore) seek to distinguish true from false and right from wrong?

Roughly speaking ... "No"!

Indeed it may examine "the dichotomy" as a rhetorical device perhaps constrained by limitations of static set theory (which forms the basis for traditional logic). To take a couple of assorted positions, Rorty, for example states the "truth" is "what works" in a communicative group, and no doubt other philosophers can find little fault with Dawkins' proposal of "an altruism gene".
0 Replies

Dasein

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2010 08:13 pm
@Amphiclea,
Amphiclea wrote:

But as far as purpose is concerned, doesn't philosophy (anymore) seek to distinguish true from false and right from wrong?

First off let me say that there is no such static entity called philosophy. Philosophy simply is a 'container' that into which we place all philosophizing that has happened since before Parmenides. 'Philosophy' is objectified philosophizing. The purpose of philosophizing is to give you the 'tools' you need to answer the question "Who Am I?"

Unfortunately, most 'philosophers' don't philosophize. Philosophizing demands that you come out from behind the 'concepts of philosophy' and reveal who you are by making the distinction between be-ing and the 'world' you live in. Most people (just about all people) interpret themselves as being the same as the world they live in and don't know they are doing it. They live their life as if they are really right about it.

As you think through the concepts of life (which you don't question) you systematically disentangle your 'self' from the thinking of the 'they' and the measurability and definability of the 'world'. There will come a time when you will experience what I call 'critical mass'. You will experience 'breaking free' from the entanglement we call 'life', stand in a clearing, and stop explaining your 'self' to the world. This is the essence of human freedom. Just remember, 'life' is not the same as living. Living can't be contained or represented by 'life'. When people live the concept of 'life', they are not living.

The 'they' and the 'world' will never die (disappear). You make the choice to uncover who you are and live or you hide behind the concepts of 'life' and take your place among the 'living dead.

I hope this points you to an understanding of difference between philosophy and philosophizing.

You can be who you are in a world of machines,
but you can't be a machine and know who you are

Dasein (be-ing there)
0 Replies

guigus

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2010 11:54 am
@Amphiclea,
It is a good way of starting to remember what "philosophy" means, etymologically: the love of wisdom. Philosophy is where all sciences came from, and it started as an attempt to understand everything, which is why there are many branches of philosophy today, like the philosophy of science, ethics, and so on. The first condition for one to do philosophy, as also the only one, is to love wisdom. How much philosophy gets useful depends on how much it addresses useful problems, and lately philosophy simply gave up thinking those problems. The last great philosophical effort in history with practical repercussions was Marxism, followed perhaps by Sartre's existentialism, which also mobilized people in practical terms, despite in a much smaller scale. The lack of a philosophical conception can be felt in the last protests in France, which are confined to the immediate questions of the rights the Government wants to "reformulate," without any broader view of society or long-term goals to achieve. Curiously enough, as we lose philosophy, science also starts to lose its meaning and long-term objectives, and now that science is in a deep crisis -- by lacking its "contact" with reality -- we need philosophy even more urgently.
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 12:04 am
@Amphiclea,
I genuinely believe that a lot of them are just stroking their own egos.
guigus

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 05:55 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
eurocelticyankee wrote:

Which is precisely the opposite of doing philosophy: loving yourself instead of wisdom.
0 Replies

Amphiclea

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 06:23 pm
Thanks to all who've commented, and my apologies for not posting more actively in response. "Real life" has been taking up a lot of my time, and I do want to give everyone's comments the thought they deserve rather than just slapping together some flippant remark. I'm starting to feel like Achilles chasing the tortoise.
Amphiclea

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2010 01:50 pm
I appreciate everyone's comments, which have helped me clarify my thinking about what it was I really wanted to ask; I didn't express it very well with my original question(s).

So let me try this: In ancient philosophy, one joined a philosophical "school." This involved not only choosing a philosophical system or set of doctrines but also choosing a way of life seen as according with the doctrinal teachings. To espouse a school's doctrines without also living them would have been seen as the height of hyprocisy.

Does anything like this apply to contemporary philosophical "schools"? It seems to me that the existentialists expected their ideas to have an effect on the lives/behavior of their students, but does anyone else? Absent any commitment to a way of life that corresponds with one's choice of philosophical beliefs or conclusions, what difference does that choice make?
guigus

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2010 06:01 pm
@Amphiclea,
Amphiclea wrote:

Thanks to all who've commented, and my apologies for not posting more actively in response. "Real life" has been taking up a lot of my time, and I do want to give everyone's comments the thought they deserve rather than just slapping together some flippant remark. I'm starting to feel like Achilles chasing the tortoise.

Don't bother: you'll eventually catch on.
0 Replies

guigus

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2010 06:05 pm
@Amphiclea,
Amphiclea wrote:

I appreciate everyone's comments, which have helped me clarify my thinking about what it was I really wanted to ask; I didn't express it very well with my original question(s).

So let me try this: In ancient philosophy, one joined a philosophical "school." This involved not only choosing a philosophical system or set of doctrines but also choosing a way of life seen as according with the doctrinal teachings. To espouse a school's doctrines without also living them would have been seen as the height of hyprocisy.

Does anything like this apply to contemporary philosophical "schools"? It seems to me that the existentialists expected their ideas to have an effect on the lives/behavior of their students, but does anyone else? Absent any commitment to a way of life that corresponds with one's choice of philosophical beliefs or conclusions, what difference does that choice make?

The late Sartre rejected his own existentialism in favor of Marx's historical materialism, despite severely criticizing the "dialectical materialism" of the sixties. Sartre was a true philosopher: someone committed to living his ideas, hence going to their practical limits and eventually turning them down. His Critique of Dialectical Reason is still worth reading.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2010 06:07 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
eurocelticyankee wrote:

given my belief that philosophy is just mental masturbation, they're stroking something

is that a medulla oblongata in your pants, or are you just happy to see me
guigus

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2010 06:45 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

eurocelticyankee wrote:

given my belief that philosophy is just mental masturbation, they're stroking something

is that a medulla oblongata in your pants, or are you just happy to see me

Masturbation can be fun, but is certainly not philosophy. As for mental masturbation, I think this is an injustice to masturbation, which I think everyone likes, at least secretly: "mental masturbation" usually refers to well established ideas with a very specific social function, usually much more deleterious than masturbation. And we need philosophy precisely to combat them. Besides, even "mental masturbation" aspires to be philosophical.
0 Replies

Dasein

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2010 10:02 am
@Amphiclea,
Philosophy is not a 'thing' called science. 'It' doesn't contain patterns and principles. 'It' is not “too broad a subject for any one person to claim understanding”. You (collective 'you') treat philosophy as if it is a 'thing' to understand and you're right! Philosophy is the 'container' that holds all of your pre-existing conclusions, your pre-suppositions, and your concepts about what happens between the beginning and the end of 'philosophizing'. Your pre-existing conclusions, your pre-suppositions, and your concepts about philosophy is not philosophizing. It is kind of like the relationship between 'life' and 'living'. 'Life' is the container and 'living' is the content. 'Life' is empty and meaningless, 'living' is where the good stuff is. You're re-presentation of someone's 'life' in book or a book report is a gross injustice to the person who did the 'living' and it is always a mis-representation.

It is the same with what you call 'philosophy'. Books and reporting about the philosopher's philosophizing are empty and meaningless unless you are philosophizing. You have to step out of your subject/object world and become the conversation that is contained in the book. By 'becoming the conversation' you will sacrifice your pre-existing conclusions, your presuppositions, and your concepts.

The reason philosophy is “too broad a subject for any one person to claim understanding” is because the way it is taught and the way you read it is the culprit. When you start off on the wrong path you've already committed your 'self' to the wrong destination.

The way it really happens is that you (even as you are reading this) are Be-ing (living). You are the conversation contained in the book. Instead of taking animal rationale, res extensa, and cogito sum for granted and trying to understand them you realize that for example, that cogito has gotten all the attention and the sum has been ignored. (The reason the sum has been ignored is because the 'sum' can't be contained in the measurability and definability of the world.)

As you de-construct your pre-existing conclusions and presuppositions you disentangle your 'self' from the measurabilty and definability (thingdom) of 'philosophy', the 'world', and the 'they'. You come to a point where you realize that the conclusions, the presuppositions, and the 'concepts' in philosophy are distractions and can no longer be used to prove the existence of your 'self' (Be-ing). When you come face-to-face with the emptiness of the concepts you reach a point in your thinking called (by Heidegger), the "possibility of the impossibility of your existence" who you've been Be-ing dies so that you can be your 'self'. You uncover/discover that the theories, the conjecture, and 'the ability to explain' your 'self' has nothing to do with Be-ing your 'self'. This is the essence of human freedom. In Be-ing you answer the question "Who am I?"

The source of the contents of the container called 'philosophy' is you, who you really are, Be-ing. It is not the other way around. Philosophy is not some 'concept' (thing) out there for you to understand and then, when you're done, hopefully you can accumulate everything you've learned and then know the answer to “Who Am I?”.

Humans Be-ing have been trying to do that since way before Parmenides. You'd think that after several thousand years we would have put 2 & 2 together. Alan Watts said that we “haven't graduated past 'territorial monkey”. We are still defending the same territory defined several thousand years ago and making sure we keep the other monkeys out, no matter what. (I'm howling like a monkey, I just can't put on the page.)

As you de-construct your pre-existing conclusions and presuppositions you disentangle your 'self' from the measurabilty and definability (thingdom) of 'philosophy', the 'world', and the 'they' you come to a point where you realize that the conclusions, the presuppositions, and the 'concepts' in philosophy are distractions and can no longer prove the existence of your 'self' (Be-ing). When you come face-to-face with the emptiness of the concepts you reach a point in your thinking called (by Heidegger), the "possibility of the impossibility of your existence" who you've been Be-ing dies so that you can be your 'self'. You uncover/discover that the theories, the conjecture, and 'the ability to explain' your 'self' has nothing to do with Be-ing your 'self'. This is the essence of human freedom. In Be-ing you answer the question "Who am I?"

This is what is called 'transformation'.

When you make the 'leap' from the measurabilty and definability of your pre-existing conclusions and presuppositions into Be-ing, you do understand it all and 'philosophizing' becomes an adventure and not a entanglement like 'philosophy'.
guigus

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2010 07:34 pm
@Dasein,
Dasein wrote:

Philosophy is not a 'thing' called science. 'It' doesn't contain patterns and principles. 'It' is not “too broad a subject for any one person to claim understanding”. You (collective 'you') treat philosophy as if it is a 'thing' to understand and you're right! Philosophy is the 'container' that holds all of your pre-existing conclusions, your pre-suppositions, and your concepts about what happens between the beginning and the end of 'philosophizing'. Your pre-existing conclusions, your pre-suppositions, and your concepts about philosophy is not philosophizing. It is kind of like the relationship between 'life' and 'living'. 'Life' is the container and 'living' is the content. 'Life' is empty and meaningless, 'living' is where the good stuff is. You're re-presentation of someone's 'life' in book or a book report is a gross injustice to the person who did the 'living' and it is always a mis-representation.

It is the same with what you call 'philosophy'. Books and reporting about the philosopher's philosophizing are empty and meaningless unless you are philosophizing. You have to step out of your subject/object world and become the conversation that is contained in the book. By 'becoming the conversation' you will sacrifice your pre-existing conclusions, your presuppositions, and your concepts.

The reason philosophy is “too broad a subject for any one person to claim understanding” is because the way it is taught and the way you read it is the culprit. When you start off on the wrong path you've already committed your 'self' to the wrong destination.

The way it really happens is that you (even as you are reading this) are Be-ing (living). You are the conversation contained in the book. Instead of taking animal rationale, res extensa, and cogito sum for granted and trying to understand them you realize that for example, that cogito has gotten all the attention and the sum has been ignored. (The reason the sum has been ignored is because the 'sum' can't be contained in the measurability and definability of the world.)

As you de-construct your pre-existing conclusions and presuppositions you disentangle your 'self' from the measurabilty and definability (thingdom) of 'philosophy', the 'world', and the 'they'. You come to a point where you realize that the conclusions, the presuppositions, and the 'concepts' in philosophy are distractions and can no longer be used to prove the existence of your 'self' (Be-ing). When you come face-to-face with the emptiness of the concepts you reach a point in your thinking called (by Heidegger), the "possibility of the impossibility of your existence" who you've been Be-ing dies so that you can be your 'self'. You uncover/discover that the theories, the conjecture, and 'the ability to explain' your 'self' has nothing to do with Be-ing your 'self'. This is the essence of human freedom. In Be-ing you answer the question "Who am I?"

The source of the contents of the container called 'philosophy' is you, who you really are, Be-ing. It is not the other way around. Philosophy is not some 'concept' (thing) out there for you to understand and then, when you're done, hopefully you can accumulate everything you've learned and then know the answer to “Who Am I?”.

Humans Be-ing have been trying to do that since way before Parmenides. You'd think that after several thousand years we would have put 2 & 2 together. Alan Watts said that we “haven't graduated past 'territorial monkey”. We are still defending the same territory defined several thousand years ago and making sure we keep the other monkeys out, no matter what. (I'm howling like a monkey, I just can't put on the page.)

As you de-construct your pre-existing conclusions and presuppositions you disentangle your 'self' from the measurabilty and definability (thingdom) of 'philosophy', the 'world', and the 'they' you come to a point where you realize that the conclusions, the presuppositions, and the 'concepts' in philosophy are distractions and can no longer prove the existence of your 'self' (Be-ing). When you come face-to-face with the emptiness of the concepts you reach a point in your thinking called (by Heidegger), the "possibility of the impossibility of your existence" who you've been Be-ing dies so that you can be your 'self'. You uncover/discover that the theories, the conjecture, and 'the ability to explain' your 'self' has nothing to do with Be-ing your 'self'. This is the essence of human freedom. In Be-ing you answer the question "Who am I?"

This is what is called 'transformation'.

When you make the 'leap' from the measurabilty and definability of your pre-existing conclusions and presuppositions into Be-ing, you do understand it all and 'philosophizing' becomes an adventure and not a entanglement like 'philosophy'.

Philosophy is the love of wisdom, not of oneself. And it is not a set of "pre-existing conclusions and presuppositions," since it is an attitude towards wisdom -- a loving attitude, and an activity -- thinking. But above all, the mark of all philosophical schools since Thales is the valuing of reason against mysticism. Then, in the most sinister moment of the twentieth century, Heidegger turns philosophy against itself and makes it betray its origins by dissolving reason into an static, quasi-religious attitude. While giving classes that start with "Heil Hitler!," he wants to dissolve truth into a reinvention of the Greek "aletheia" by which there is no distinction between the subject and the object: he is nostalgic of a magic "being" in which there is no duality, a being that we supposedly forgot, in the same way Hitler is nostalgic of a lost German purity. What prevents us of simply saying that Heidegger wants to give up philosophy and go back to religion is just the fact that admitting this would ruin his "philosophy," since all its attractive power comes from its dissimulation of its own true nature. What is exceedingly sad in all this is that such a rotted, putrid attitude tries to sell itself even today as being something promising -- it's like the Catholic church trying to seem progressive. It is always good to remember that, despite appearances, Hitler was not a fictional character, which seemed not so ugly then to the eyes of many people, including Heidegger.