Philosophy: What's the point?

fresco

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2010 01:02 am
@guigus,
Whereas I sympathize with your focus on the darker side of Heidegger as a reaction to Dasein's sycophancy above, I would point out that Heidegger's unique analysis of language in particular was partially taken up by Rorty in the promotion of "philosophy" as "political therapy" which can lead to the stimulation of democracy. Perhaps every cloud has a silver lining.
guigus

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2010 05:02 am
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

Whereas I sympathize with your focus on the darker side of Heidegger as a reaction to Dasein's sycophancy above, I would point out that Heidegger's unique analysis of language in particular was partially taken up by Rorty in the promotion of "philosophy" as "political therapy" which can lead to the stimulation of democracy. Perhaps every cloud has a silver lining.

Of course I exaggerated: Heidegger was brilliant in many respects, and he has many texts I admire and from which I learned. What revolts me is that someone today falls for, as you call it, the darker side of his thought, especially long after its connections to an even darker historical scenario have become known. We need a rebirth of philosophy, not its going deeper into the abyss of a Heideggerian pseudo-religion. In other words, forgetting about Hitler is even worse than forgetting about being.
0 Replies

Dasein

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2010 09:32 am
@guigus,
Again, Guigus, you're on your own.
Cyracuz

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2010 10:34 am
@Amphiclea,
Philosophy is what happens when you do not immediately accept what you have been taught and told.

Of course, you may reject what someone told you and embrace what some other person says instead, but even if that other person is a philosopher you are not "doing" philosophy by embracing his views.

For me philosophy is more about searching for the right questions that the right answers. It's very much about "what if" and "who said", about constantly examining and evaluating our development as a species.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2010 11:00 am
@Cyracuz,
In this instance we are in full agreement.
Philosophy is therefore (it must be) a deeply personnel activity, as individual understanding remains in what is essential to it...
0 Replies

Amphiclea

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2010 01:54 pm
Guigus' reminder that the meaning of philosophia is "love of wisdom," along with reminders from various commenters that neither philosophy nor wisdom is "a thing" (like a dogma, for instance) makes me think about Socrates' dispute with the Sophists over the question of whether wisdom can be taught. Socrates (according to Plato, at least) denied that it could, and his approach to philosophy, the constant questioning of everyone's claims to knowledge including his own, seems to reflect this.

But also from a Socratic point of view, the object of philosophy, the object of the seeking, is to find some kind of guidance toward living "the good life." In the Socratic tradition, the best life was seen as "the philosophical life," in whatever way that was defined (even among the Epicureans, I would argue). As I've said before, I'm a pre-modern, and this way of looking at things does appeal to me. I guess what prompted my query here was that I'm sort of alarmed by my suspicion that more recent philosophy has given up looking for the good life (much less "the good") and instead is obsessed with the coherency of statements or the demonstration of empirical validity or similar things.
guigus

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 03:00 pm
@Dasein,
Dasein wrote:

Again, Guigus, you're on your own.

Again, I have no idea what you mean.
0 Replies

guigus

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 03:28 pm
@Amphiclea,
Amphiclea wrote:
Guigus' reminder that the meaning of philosophia is "love of wisdom," along with reminders from various commenters that neither philosophy nor wisdom is "a thing" (like a dogma, for instance) makes me think about Socrates' dispute with the Sophists over the question of whether wisdom can be taught. Socrates (according to Plato, at least) denied that it could, and his approach to philosophy, the constant questioning of everyone's claims to knowledge including his own, seems to reflect this.

Philosophy is a social project: even those who hold that wisdom cannot be taught are dying to teach the others that "wisdom," which is a good example of a bad contradiction -- an unsolvable one -- as also of a comic situation.

Amphiclea wrote:
But also from a Socratic point of view, the object of philosophy, the object of the seeking, is to find some kind of guidance toward living "the good life."

This was a time in which philosophy were about individuals, which is no longer the case (just recall Marx).

Amphiclea wrote:
In the Socratic tradition, the best life was seen as "the philosophical life," in whatever way that was defined (even among the Epicureans, I would argue).

Classical Greek philosophy was contemplative: working was a dishonoring activity -- as also unnecessary, since there were slaves to do it. Even today, there are still purely contemplative philosophers, but pure contemplation has no longer the novelty and fecundity that it once had: it is called today "mental masturbation" by some.

Amphiclea wrote:
As I've said before, I'm a pre-modern, and this way of looking at things does appeal to me.

Yeah, I noticed that.

Amphiclea wrote:
I guess what prompted my query here was that I'm sort of alarmed by my suspicion that more recent philosophy has given up looking for the good life (much less "the good") and instead is obsessed with the coherency of statements or the demonstration of empirical validity or similar things.

You are confusing philosophy with the now dominant -- especially in the US -- "analytic" school of philosophy, which privileges logical formalisms. There is another current opposing it, which is called "continental philosophy," of which a very interesting -- and quite unusual -- voice is Alain Badiou. Philosophy has lately passed many rich conflicts, and I think we are in a very interesting moment for those who really want to think.
north

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2010 09:44 pm

to get to the point
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2010 02:44 pm
The point is, hot air needs somewhere to go.
guigus

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2010 04:29 am
@eurocelticyankee,
eurocelticyankee wrote:

The point is, hot air needs somewhere to go.

I see where it went.
Amphiclea

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2010 12:25 pm
@guigus,
Quote:
Classical Greek philosophy was contemplative: working was a dishonoring activity -- as also unnecessary, since there were slaves to do it. Even today, there are still purely contemplative philosophers, but pure contemplation has no longer the novelty and fecundity that it once had: it is called today "mental masturbation" by some.

Quote:
Amphiclea wrote:
As I've said before, I'm a pre-modern, and this way of looking at things does appeal to me.

Yeah, I noticed that.

Quote:
Amphiclea wrote:
I guess what prompted my query here was that I'm sort of alarmed by my suspicion that more recent philosophy has given up looking for the good life (much less "the good") and instead is obsessed with the coherency of statements or the demonstration of empirical validity or similar things.

You are confusing philosophy with the now dominant -- especially in the US -- "analytic" school of philosophy, which privileges logical formalisms. There is another current opposing it, which is called "continental philosophy," of which a very interesting -- and quite unusual -- voice is Alain Badiou. Philosophy has lately passed many rich conflicts, and I think we are in a very interesting moment for those who really want to think.

Speaking of noticing things, I've noticed your Marxist inclinations. Your remark about classical philosophers having slaves to do their work, for example, is typical of the over-generalizations Marx employed to argue his economics-centered metahistorical narrative. But surely you remember that Epictetus was himself a slave, for instance. As for "pure contemplation," I do understand that there's a bias against it in the West, at least since the "Enlightenment," but it's still a very vibrant practice in Eastern philosophy, and I highly recommend it.

On the subject of Badiou, naturally he's a far-leftie, too. In addition, he may be an example of exactly the kind of disconnect I'm having a problem with between the practice of contemporary "philosophy" on the one hand and living the best life on the other, if the accusations of anti-Semitism are true. Sort of like Heidegger in that respect. I guess some of the problem I'm having is that I want to see philosophers teach as much by example as by discourse.
eurocelticyankee

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2010 05:51 pm
@guigus,
Did you see where your sense of humour went.
north

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 07:52 pm

to bring in all ologies together

guigus

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2010 09:31 pm
@Amphiclea,
Amphiclea wrote:

Quote:

Quote:
Amphiclea wrote:

Yeah, I noticed that.

Quote:
Amphiclea wrote:

Speaking of noticing things, I've noticed your Marxist inclinations. Your remark about classical philosophers having slaves to do their work, for example, is typical of the over-generalizations Marx employed to argue his economics-centered metahistorical narrative. But surely you remember that Epictetus was himself a slave, for instance. As for "pure contemplation," I do understand that there's a bias against it in the West, at least since the "Enlightenment," but it's still a very vibrant practice in Eastern philosophy, and I highly recommend it.

You are confusing contemplation with pure contemplation. There is no philosophy without contemplation, but pure contemplation is only possible if you have slaves to make your food, wash your clothes, clean your house, etc -- pure contemplation values contemplation against practice, which is a secure path to alienation, and I certainly do not recommend it.

Amphiclea wrote:
On the subject of Badiou, naturally he's a far-leftie, too.

I suppose you refer to Marx when you say "too"...

Amphiclea wrote:
In addition, he may be an example of exactly the kind of disconnect I'm having a problem with between the practice of contemporary "philosophy" on the one hand and living the best life on the other, if the accusations of anti-Semitism are true. Sort of like Heidegger in that respect. I guess some of the problem I'm having is that I want to see philosophers teach as much by example as by discourse.

Badiou is a pathetic example of the failure of the left. To him, communism is reduced to a "hypothesis." What could be more pathetic? But he is a powerful thinker, and many of his formulations are simply brilliant. He tries to back philosophy with set theory -- Cantor is his hero -- which is a mistake, but despite that he arrives at exciting results. If you just forget about his being "far-leftie" and appreciate him as a philosopher, you must certainly pay a tribute to his brilliancy, as also to the far-reaching and breath of his work. As for "teaching by example," I think Heidegger is a very bad choice indeed -- in spite of the failure of the left, Marx remains the best example of a philosopher living according to his own ideas.
0 Replies

guigus

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2010 09:47 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
eurocelticyankee wrote:

Did you see where your sense of humour went.

No, did you?
0 Replies

guigus

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2010 09:48 pm
@north,
north wrote:

to bring in all ologies together

We are the world... We are the people...
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2010 09:02 am

Quote:
The First Law of Philosophy For every philosopher, there exists an equal and opposite philosopher. The Second Law of Philosophy They're both wrong
HexHammer

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2010 11:53 am
@Amphiclea,
..let me try another approach.

People come to philosophize:

- to gain knowledge
- to illuminate knowledge which may seem baffeling
- to seek answers to a specific problem
- to discover ourselves
- to discover new ways
- to exchange information
- to test belives and oppinions
..etc..
guigus

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2010 01:31 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
eurocelticyankee wrote:

Quote:
The First Law of Philosophy For every philosopher, there exists an equal and opposite philosopher. The Second Law of Philosophy They're both wrong

You are mistaken: these are the comic laws of the cynics who hate wisdom rather than loving it.