Is the expression okay grammatically?

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 08:24 am
With the daughter's ago being a little more than fifty, the father's age is less than sixty. Isn't that a miracle? I've not been making fun of you. If someone did, it would be you, Mary. So, liars prosper? Oh poor liars, they often go bankrupt more quickly.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 585 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 08:47 am
It doesn't make a lot of sense, but i see no grammatical faults.
oristarA

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 09:41 am
@Setanta,
Thanks.

But:

How to make it full of sense, then?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 09:42 am
As i have no idea what the author is attempting say, i can't really make it make sense.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 09:50 am
Well, it makes a bit more sense if you change "daughter's ago" for "daughter's age"...(A typo, probably)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 09:53 am
I hadn't even noticed that. Given that the father is supposed to have been eight years old or younger when the daughter was conceived, i can't make much sense of it.

After that, it drops into one side of some dialogue which sounds as though it's continuation of a discussion to which we are not privy.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 10:00 am
@oristarA,
What you wrote is too complex; too densely complex.
Apparently, the author is against something; I don 't know what.

Simplicity and clarity of thought are virtues to be admired.

David
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 10:01 am
Sure, but it's about liars and a father that is only eight years older than his daughter is probably a liar..
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 10:03 am
@Francis,
Presumably, the father was 7 when he got into action.

How old was the mother ?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 01:17 pm
@oristarA,
With the daughter's ago being a little more than fifty, the father's age is less than sixty. Isn't that a miracle? I've not been making fun of you. If someone did, it would be you, Mary. So, liars prosper? Oh poor liars, they often go bankrupt more quickly.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Conversations where one isn't party to the context are often opaque/confusing/mystifying, Ori. If you read any transcriptions of natural everyday speech, you often don't have a clue what's going on.

This sounds like something from a novel, and though the idioms are not ones that I'm familiar with, I can make out at least one possible scenario.

Person: [obviously responding to something Mary has said ] With the daughter's age being a little more than fifty, the father's age is less than sixty. Isn't that a miracle? [= How could a child of 7 or 8, the 'father' have fathered a child?]

I've not been making fun of you. If someone did, it would be you, yourself Mary, weaving such a fanciful tale.

So [= it's been said that], liars prosper? Oh poor liars [= But poor liars], they often go bankrupt more quickly.
oristarA

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2010 12:29 am
@JTT,
Thank you very much, JTT.

Your analysis is helpful.

Thank you all.
0 Replies