Has America got it's head up it's ass

eurocelticyankee

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 09:13 am
@Brand WTF,
You mean he was being honest and took responsibility, nooo i did'nt think politicians did that
Setanta

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 09:47 am
@eurocelticyankee,
Get a mirror and repeat that statement. I can assure you that you are not sufficiently important for me to get hysterical.
JTT

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 10:21 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
Get a mirror and repeat that statement. I can assure you that you are not sufficiently important for me to get hysterical.

He postures a great deal, Euroceltic, that he is this cool as a cucumber guy. As soon as this kind of typical Setanta BS comes out, you know you have him by the short and curlies.

0 Replies

Brand WTF

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 10:32 am
@eurocelticyankee,
In a landslide he didn't exactly have a choice.

Bush and Clinton had to give essentially the same speech during their tenure...so yes, a politician will when in a corner admit to faults.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 10:57 am
@eurocelticyankee,
eurocelticyankee wrote:

Look, I dont think for 1 minute that America alone has fed up voters, some stupid voters and right wing and inept politicians. It's just that who Americans elect affects us all, as we seen with the last administration. For instance, say Ireland voted in a bunch of neo nazis, well it would be awful, but the rest of the world would'nt lose too much sleep over it, where as, if America elects some hate filled, narrow minded, xenophobic, right wing party ( the republicans ), we'll all pay for it.
It is because democracy is universally denied... Since none of us has absolute control of our own affairs so long as we hurt no other we have every reason to be frustrated... Not one person can ever say for another what is best for him better than that other person can, and we have so few speaking and deciding for so many that it is bound to turn out wrong... The idea of democracy is that we will all have our needs met, and the idea of this republic has been divide and rule, to turn one half against the other, and use the will of the majority to strip the whole population of rights and liberty... Look at us... Instead of having a government to defend our rights and which goes after the goals for which it was established we have to defend our rights constantly from those who capture the government as a prize from which they can despoil us... We have no democracy....
eurocelticyankee

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 11:37 am
@Fido,
thats depressing, thats life
eurocelticyankee

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 11:41 am
@Setanta,
You GO GIRL
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 11:59 am
I have one question for all of you that are saying how bad things are...

Why dont you run for political office and fix the things you say are broken, instead of just complaining about them?
eurocelticyankee

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 12:02 pm
My homage to the tea party.
eurocelticyankee

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 12:18 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
these three are more believable than the airheads in the tea party
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 12:21 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
eurocelticyankee wrote:

thats depressing, thats life

Depressing, but not hopeless...
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 12:23 pm
@mysteryman,
Quote:

Why dont you run for political office and fix the things you say are broken, instead of just complaining about them?

Were you successful in this last election, MM? Or weren't there any dogcatcher vacancies?
Fido

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 12:34 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:

Were you successful in this last election, MM? Or weren't there any dogcatcher vacancies?
No one can get elected without proving they are corrupt... No one can get re-elected without selling their soul to monied interests...
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 12:50 pm
@mysteryman,
i don't think things are that bad, or rather that anyone, politicians especially, can do much about them, i think it's inevitable that a certain amount of jobs are gone, never to return, what that means for the unemployed (me included) i can't say
Fido

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 01:37 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

i don't think things are that bad, or rather that anyone, politicians especially, can do much about them, i think it's inevitable that a certain amount of jobs are gone, never to return, what that means for the unemployed (me included) i can't say
If there are more workers than jobs then everyone working should be working less and instead they are working more... We would not import as many goods or export as much capital if the people were in charge, and they are not... We have to recognize that we can produce much more with fewer and fewer people, and it is time for everyone to have a benefit from that fact, working less and laying back more... Everyone in society has got to be supported anyway, so why not allow them to support themselves... We are getting to the point of forcing old people, really old people into the work force where they will just be in the way if hired, and will starve if not; when they are not needed, and where many who could work are clearly not needed... We will either have some great war soon, or some disease will be introduced to kill us off in numbers, because no society can continue with a fraction supporting all the rest, and making a profit for the privilage... It is not going to work, and does not work now...
plainoldme

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 08:27 pm
@Fido,
In re: your statement that old people, if they are hired, will just be in the way.

A mfger near in western Mass hires older workers. Some of the company's employees are over-90. They work part-time and are valued as employees. Some people will have no choice but to work until they are 70. However, that is nothing new: there were always people who had no choice.

I remember when I was in grad school and would meet my friends in the cafeteria in the morning for coffee. A rather elderly woman bussed tables. A friend said that it was a shame such an old woman was forced to work such an undignified job.

I have thought of that remark over the years. Sometimes, I feel as if his remark was a portend.
plainoldme

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 09:06 pm
From the Baltimore Sun:

After devoting long minutes to careful analysis of Tuesday night's election returns, I now know what Americans want:

We want roads and bridges that are always in good condition but do not require tax money for upkeep.

We want world class schools with teachers who are so dedicated that they will work for minimum wage. (Note: the best one should be in my neighborhood)

We want 60-inch plasma TVs that cost $200 and are produced by workers in Ohio making at least $30 per hour.

We want our military to win every war, every heart and every mind, everywhere, at no cost in lives or money.

We want cheap, clean, efficient mass transit that goes through someone else's neighborhood.

We want no-fat triple-decker hamburgers that are good for you and taste great.

We want fast, efficient, friendly government services provided by clerks who work happily for free.

We want "clean" coal and domestic crude that does not produce pollution or require digging or drilling.

We want SUVs that get 100 miles per gallon and produce jobs in Detroit.

We want Social Security benefits to go up and Social Security taxes to go down.

We want cheap labor from legal citizens who don't mind living in poverty.

We want clean drinking water and pristine parks and the right to dump anything, anywhere.

We want colleges that are inexpensive and not too hard but produce world class leaders.

We want football where every hit is brutal but no one gets hurt and baseball where everyone hits 40 home runs but no one uses steroids.

We want government to deliver all these things — then cut taxes and then cut taxes some more. Mostly, we want what we want, and we want it now.

Personally, I want leaders who will tell us frankly that all these things are not possible, that the blessings of infrastructure and education given us by our fathers are wearing out. I want thinkers who can paint a picture of a greater America that could exist in 50 or 100 years, and then unite us with a roadmap to get there. I want America to have a shared vision and an understanding that we all benefit when we all contribute, and that we all suffer when we demand only for ourselves. I want leaders who will tell the truth: that there is no free lunch.

But then, I also want the World Series to end in early October, yet I know that some things are just too grand to even wish for.

Mac Nachlas, Baltimore

eurocelticyankee

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2010 03:23 am
@plainoldme,
Well said and well put. We all need too wake up worldwide and get our heads out of our ass's.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2010 04:47 am
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:

In re: your statement that old people, if they are hired, will just be in the way.

A mfger near in western Mass hires older workers. Some of the company's employees are over-90. They work part-time and are valued as employees. Some people will have no choice but to work until they are 70. However, that is nothing new: there were always people who had no choice.

I remember when I was in grad school and would meet my friends in the cafeteria in the morning for coffee. A rather elderly woman bussed tables. A friend said that it was a shame such an old woman was forced to work such an undignified job.

I have thought of that remark over the years. Sometimes, I feel as if his remark was a portend.

Let's have every old one in America move to Mass to cure them of giving old people work...

And, a job is not a cure... Consider that primitive peoples in their life times were able to produce enough to carry them through old age, and while they we often left behind at some point it was not without regrets and honor... We cannot manage to honor the old, but wish them dead...

Before they are gone they are often forced by reverse mortgages to dispose of the capital of a life time for their basic support...Why is it, that with all our increased ability to produce, that people are forced to work longer hours and to a greater age than ever; and that we cannot lay enough aside to support ourselves in old age???

Counting on social security, people had less children, but also demanded less in wages, and they got less, and now that inflation robs from them, or rather because the government robs from everyone it will not tax with inflation, they are robbed of the value of everything they have managed to put aside...The government has broke social security... They could give me what they put into it, but let them remember that what they took out of my father they denied to me, and what they take out of me they have denied to my children... They want to break the whole government to justify their taking of social security...

I only hope the old still have some balls between their legs and can lay hands on a gun... They are the only ones who can effect revolution, and if robbed of all, they will have nothing to lose... If thrown in prison they will at least have three squares and a roof...
0 Replies

MrCryptic

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2012 02:18 pm
@JTT,
Bobby Dylan said it all, “The Circus is in Town...”
0 Replies