Why is it that so many A2Kers think that every topic should turn into a debate?

Lash

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2010 10:10 am
@Ionus,
OK, that's it. I've had it with you. Are you a Samoan?
ehBeth

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2010 10:22 am
@Lash,
Laughing

ya made me laugh so loud I woke up the little dogs
Lash

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2010 10:27 am
@ehBeth,
LOL!!! My day's work is done.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2010 11:00 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:
I think one's gender is probably part of it. But there are enough exceptions on both sides (men who don't like to debate, women who do like to debate) that I don't think it's mostly about gender.

Yes, the generalization naturally has exceptions (I probably think there are a lot fewer than I think you do too). But I think that the generalization is a valid one with the relative differences in likelihood to enter debate between genders being sorta about gender.

Quote:
One's approach to debate is influenced by a whole lot of things, from what sort of background/ culture you come from (some cultures are notably "louder" and more comfortable with debate than others -- I'd include Jewish and Italian cultures, for example), to age, to educational background, to inherent temperament, to all sorts of other elements.

Oh, I get what you mean about "mostly" now. Yeah, I'm sure one's gender is not the primary cause of one's affinity for debate. But again this feels like pointing out the obvious to me, I can't think of many things about humans that are entirely ascribable to any single factor.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2010 11:03 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
Our gender/age/location/culture might effect our experience.

If I went by my experience/personal observation, I'd think that in most married couples women are the primary breadwinners.

My experience says women like to debate - and to get really hard-ass about it. Your experience says women are much less likely to enjoy debate than men.

Sure, I know the limited value of anecdotal evidence, but I honestly think my experience can be extrapolated at least to the entire internet on average.

I bet that males outnumber females in debates and flamewars online by more than 3 to 1 overall. It is a bet I can probably not win given how unlikely anyone is to want to do the work to prove/disprove it but if someone were to go about that in a scientifically valid way I'd be willing to wager a modest amount that the generalization would be vindicated overwhelmingly.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2010 11:08 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Am I a chicken debater?

I'm not sure I've seen that species of fowl. I'm sure there are many less derogating explanations of why anyone might not do anything.
Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2010 11:11 am
@Lash,
Yes, a generalization doesn't have to have no exceptions and I don't think that gender particularly affects one's ability to debate (more like the desire to). But I personally didn't see anyone argue that (I certainly didn't) and a lot of arguments against it.

P.S. the other generalizations were merely examples of how generalizations can be perfectly valid. Few people seem to get that, and approach every generalization as if it were faulty, pointing out exceptions to generalizations that were not claimed to be exception-free in the first place. I think the wariness makes more sense to apply for the often pernicious conclusions people draw from them, but often not the generalization itself.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2010 11:40 am
@Robert Gentel,
Are you saying chicken debaters lay rotten eggs?

BBB Smile
Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2010 11:44 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Nah, I'm saying I'm don't think most people who avoid debates do so because they are "chicken".
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2010 11:48 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Why is it that so many A2Kers think that every topic should turn into a debate?

It seems to be the men who want to verbally battle. Is it excess testosterone?

I'm one of those who don't enjoy verbal combat. I loose interest in them once the pissing match begins.

BBB
ego competition
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2010 08:39 pm
@Foofie,
Quote:
Also, I would like the "Ignore" feature to be renamed "Snub" feature.
I think it should be called the Bigot Device.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2010 08:42 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
I've had it with you.
Sorry I dont remember you. Can you narrow it down ? Was I drunk and desperate ?
Quote:
Are you a Samoan?
I come from the Land Down Under...
Intrepid

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2010 10:54 pm
@Reyn,
Reyn wrote:

What about if it's the last piece?

Then, you are out of luck!

Wink
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2010 10:56 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Quote:

Ah, hahaha

Maybe on the front end, it seems this way. But the women here do their part to keep every argument going for as long as possible.

Cycloptichorn

Sometimes for thousands of posts.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 11:18 am
Robert wrote:
I bet that males outnumber females in debates and flamewars online by more than 3 to 1 overall. It is a bet I can probably not win given how unlikely anyone is to want to do the work to prove/disprove it but if someone were to go about that in a scientifically valid way I'd be willing to wager a modest amount that the generalization would be vindicated overwhelmingly.

Out of curiosity, I'm doing some research on the topic.

Found already some interesting figures.

But some charts are edifying:
http://gismonda.pagesperso-orange.fr/winningabet.jpg
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 11:30 am
I've noticed that most posters seem to be avoiding what I wrote about what spoils debates for a lot of people.

"I think my lack of appreciation in debates is when the debaters stop civil talking about the accuracy of the topic and begin insulting , bullying, vicious name calling. That behavior ends my interest in the debate."

Why does the bullying go on by adults?

BBB
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 11:41 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:

BBB
I doubt that it is age-based.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 11:43 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
People turn their attention away from the subject-matter in dispute
and focus on their opposing debaters, ad hominem
dyslexia

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 11:53 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:

I've noticed that most posters seem to be avoiding what I wrote about what spoils debates for a lot of people.

"I think my lack of appreciation in debates is when the debaters stop civil talking about the accuracy of the topic and begin insulting , bullying, vicious name calling. That behavior ends my interest in the debate."

BBB

one reason is because in your first post you wrote
Quote:
which is simple sexism. In addition, your definition of "bullying" appears to be any post in disagreement with you and does not constitute "bullying."
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 07:39 pm
@Ionus,
Nearly as bad.
0 Replies