blossom as a verb

fansy

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 07:00 am
Quote:
"Oliva blossoms in front of audiences"

What does "blossom" mean in this context?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 711 • Replies: 9
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 07:06 am
@fansy,
It means she flourishes and becomes more confident.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 07:22 am
Blossom is both a verb and a noun. As a verb, in the literal sense, it means that a plant produces flowers, and that the flowers open. In a figurative sense, the idea of a flower opening leads to the excellent definition which Boomer has provided--" . . . she flourishes and becomes more confident."
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 07:34 am
In fact, "flourish" comes from the same root (so to speak!) as flower (I think).

Dip into your dictionary occasionally, Fansy.
boomerang

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 07:45 am
@McTag,
Quote:
Dip into your dictionary occasionally, Fansy.

I like these questions about language. They make me realize how lazy I can be with words and challenge me to be precise.

Some of the questions are hard for me to answer -- even when I know exactly what they're looking for I can't come up with a clear explaination.
Setanta

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 08:00 am
@boomerang,
That's really the crux of the biscuit in ESL. To provide an explanation which the student will understand, and which will not raise more questions than it answers. I thought you response was good, very useful.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 11:28 am
@McTag,
Dictionaries are completely unresponsive, McTag. They don't recognize when their users have asked inappropriately nor can they offer good advice on related issues.

There is nothing better for an ESL/EFL than engaging native speakers, even the ones who give bad advice.
McTag

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 12:23 pm
@JTT,

I bow to your greater experience in this.
But a half-decent dictionary would at least have made clear that blossom can be a verb.

Sorry for being slightly mischievous, if that was misplaced. Bad advice? Always at your service. Smile
JTT

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 01:01 pm
@McTag,
Quote:
But a half-decent dictionary would at least have made clear that blossom can be a verb.

I think from the title that Fansy knew it was a verb. He/she asked the meaning.

And again, [damn, there's one of them there sentence startin' conjunctions!], had Fansy not asked, none of us would have received your welcome advice re 'flourish'.

Sorry if I seemed overly stern/angry/upset/... . I was only pointing up the importance of ESLs engaging.
McTag

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 01:09 pm
@JTT,

Quote:
Sorry if I seemed overly stern/angry/upset/...

Dimension. I love it when you're stern. Wink
0 Replies