Is Nader back in the game?

fishin

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 08:10 am
He's not commiting yet but is leaning heavily towards running again. Does this change the dynamics of the 2004 race?

Quote:
Nader eyeing another White House run
Thursday, December 11, 2003 Posted: 7:24 PM EST (0024 GMT)

PRINCETON, New Jersey (CNN) -- Consumer advocate Ralph Nader said Thursday he is leaning toward another independent run for the presidency and will make his decision public in January.

"We're testing the waters," Nader said in an interview with CNN. "It's a high probability but that is yet to be determined."

Nader has formed an exploratory committee for a 2004 run and said he would gauge his support through the success of fund-raising efforts and the number of volunteers who come forward.

The consumer advocate last made a bid for the White House in 2000 on the Green Party ticket, when he won about 3 percent of the popular vote nationwide and got 5 percent or more in 12 states.

The complete story is at: http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/12/11/elec04.prez.nader.2004/index.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 801 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 08:17 am
Hmm. Interesting. The frontrunner of the Democrats, Dean, is not universally loved. Maybe Nader is thinking that he can siphon away some of the votes that would have gone to Dean.

In any case, a Nader run would, IMO, make reelection of Bush a slam dunk!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 08:27 am
After throwing the last election to Bush, he probably won't pull many votes this time. People do learn - most of us, anyway.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 09:26 am
Is Nader in the pay of the RNC. I wonder did Bush send him a thank you note along with the other goodies?
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 09:31 am
If Mr. Nader does run I am putting him on my Yule Card list forever as he will guarantee that President Bush will have another 4 years in the big white building.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 10:01 am
I voted for Nader in the last election becuase Gore didn't stand for anything.

I will vote for Dean in this election (assuming he keeps his message) because he is representing real values .

If Dean has half of a spine and can communicate a clear message, Nader will either not run, or will not get any significant support.

Given the disastrous Bush presidency and the important issues involved, I suspect that the vast majority of folks who voted for Nader in 2000 will feel as I feel.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 10:10 am
Brown
But what would prompt him to run, knowing full well the consequences . The man must have an overblown estimation of his worth or has an ego problem.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 01:47 pm
I respectfully disagree.

Nader has an important role to play in our democracy. He has every right to run, and we have every right to vote for him.

I don't speak for Nader, but I think his point is (or at least I think it should be) that he is not a Democrat. He has no obligation to the Democratic (or any) party.

One part of Nader's role is to keep the Democratic nominee honest. I don't buy it when people whine that Nader ruined the election for Gore. Gore and the Democratic party lost the election because many of us didn't feel like Gore was worth voting for.

I will almost certainly vote for Dean if he is the nominee (assuming he doesn't lose my vote with a spineless campaign). I will probably vote for Kerry, and the most of the others can earn my vote.

I will not under any circumstances vote for Leiberman. He would be just as much of a disaster as Bush, and I would rather have the mess that would certainly ensue after 8 years of reckless polies blamed on the Bush adminstration.

If the Democrats run a good campaign with a strong message and integrity, I beleve they can beat Bush with Dean whether Nader runs or no. Bush is very vulnerable with the war, medicare, the deficit etc. etc. etc.

If we have a repeat of the pathetic democratic campaign of 2000, Nader will have my vote again, whether he runs or not.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 03:19 pm
Hmm - as a foreign observer, it seems sad to me that you cannot vote (if you wished to do so) for people like Nader - perhaps to send a message about the importance of environment to you - without splitting the non-conservative vote.
0 Replies