Should able2know ban people for having untoward opinions?

Lash

Tue 26 Oct, 2010 08:28 pm
@hawkeye10,
You are free to choose. Depending on who is around and what you choose, people may object, question you or any number of other reactions. Case in point: When HS used such an antiquated term, I questioned her.

See the beauty of it all?
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Tue 26 Oct, 2010 08:30 pm
@High Seas,
I realize that the intent of many on this thread recently is to snarl at each other. But I must respond to the question about what to call "those people."
Perhaps it varies regionally or by generation, but here in Virginia the accepted term, I think, is "Black." That is what I hear in multi-racial conversations.
"Colored" is a word with baggage from decades ago. "African-American" is too cumbersome. "Nigger" is almost 100% gone except when uttered by some drunk frat boy.
Carry on with your discussion.
OCCOM BILL

Tue 26 Oct, 2010 08:31 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
OCCOM BILL wrote:

dlowan wrote:
I haven't read most of the thread where this has most recently been raised.

However, it seems to me (I could be wrong) is that the nubbin of the argument that a number of people there are trying to get to is that the expression of the "untoward opinions" becomes abusive and harassing in its nature at times either because of how the opinions are expressed or the multiple numbers of times they are expressed.

I know this is not answering the question you are asking, so feel free to ignore this post, however while it may not reflect O'Bill's beliefs, I think it is more, perhaps, what is going on when people ask for removal of posts or banning.
You are definitely on to something there. I'd love to see the post count of the top 10 contributors on that thread published to really put this in perspective. (I doubt many will peruse the 100s of pages out of morbid curiosity.) I believe it would reflect that the quantity was every bit as abusive as the content of the trolling... which was mind-numbingly redundant.

Would still appreciate some hard numbers on post counts on the offending thread here to put this portion of the dispute in some honest perspective. How about just for the 4 accused trolls? BillRM, Hawkeye10, JustBrooke and myself? Can we un-stack the deck at least that much?
0 Replies

Lash

Tue 26 Oct, 2010 08:33 pm
@realjohnboy,
Thank you, rjb. They assuredly knew that. I don't understand what they thought was to gain by pretending they didn't.
JPB

Tue 26 Oct, 2010 08:33 pm
@realjohnboy,
"people of color" is the PC term here...
Lash

Tue 26 Oct, 2010 08:36 pm
It's always been black in Georgia. My California fiance seems uncomfortable when I say black though,.. I think he feels better with African American (though there doesn't seem to be a brother within 20 miles of this town) It's the Mexican/Spanish/Hispanic terminology that's trickiest here.
Cycloptichorn

Tue 26 Oct, 2010 08:42 pm
@High Seas,
High Seas wrote:

Aren't you trained in the sciences? If yes, you know that the simplest explanation that fits all the facts is to be preferred to the complex one. If the term "colored" isn't acceptable to you, please provide a single-word, descriptive, understandable, PC-compliant alternative. I will wait Smile

Perhaps you could try 'minorities' or 'minority groups.' If you want to be more specific, you could say Hispanic or African-Americans. I don't know if a hyphen is too much work for you to go to or not.

It isn't as if we don't all get annoyed with overly PC people sometimes, but I usually make it a question of: am I getting the result I want? Is there a purpose to my action greater than habit? If I do believe there is a greater purpose to my behavior, I tend to continue it even if it isn't considered PC. Otherwise, I let it slide, even though I take umbrage when others pull it on me.

Cycloptichorn
roger

Tue 26 Oct, 2010 08:43 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
You make me proud, David. I just knew you would slip into standard English, if we waited long enough.
0 Replies

snood

Tue 26 Oct, 2010 08:46 pm
Lash and RJB,

You know they know the terms, and at least which ones are very not ok. Whatever they think they're doing (rousing rabble, presumedly) by feigning befuddlement is for them to know and for no one else ever to give a shyt about.

But - my two cents - I'm with Lash. I'd prefer that HS and Stalkeye use "colored" in every situation, expecially when away from a2K, in public.
realjohnboy

Tue 26 Oct, 2010 08:50 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

It's the Mexican/Spanish/Hispanic terminology that's trickiest here.

I have been stumbling over that as I write about political races on other (rarely viewed) threads, where "those people" come into the story. I go with a 4th option: "Latino."
High Seas

Tue 26 Oct, 2010 08:53 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

"Black." That is what I hear in multi-racial conversations.
"Colored" is a word with baggage from decades ago. "African-American" is too cumbersome. "Nigger"

That leaves out persons of the Indian subcontinent, the continent of South America, and countless others - colored includes them.
High Seas

Tue 26 Oct, 2010 08:54 pm
@Lash,
So you don't have an answer - why mess with all those endlessly convoluted PC commentaries and not say so up front?
0 Replies

High Seas

Tue 26 Oct, 2010 08:54 pm
@JPB,
That's 3 words.
High Seas

Tue 26 Oct, 2010 08:55 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Minority is misleading - most of our cities are now "majority minority", an oxymoronic term for the ages. Try again.
0 Replies

High Seas

Tue 26 Oct, 2010 08:56 pm
@realjohnboy,
You call an African or an Indian a "Latino", trouble will follow. You please try again - remember, one word.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Tue 26 Oct, 2010 08:57 pm
@High Seas,
ok, so we should call you coloured - cuz you're definitely not invisible

you're as much a colour as any other human I've met
High Seas

Tue 26 Oct, 2010 08:58 pm
@snood,
So you don't know, either - and you just lost a wonderful opportunity to keep mouth shut. Better luck next time Smile
0 Replies

High Seas

Tue 26 Oct, 2010 09:00 pm
@ehBeth,
Thank you - I also thought you are very pretty. Hope to see you again soon - Jane and Bernie always ask me your news.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Tue 26 Oct, 2010 09:02 pm
@High Seas,
High Seas wrote:

realjohnboy wrote:

"Black." That is what I hear in multi-racial conversations.
"Colored" is a word with baggage from decades ago. "African-American" is too cumbersome. "Nigger"

Please edit your quote to include the whole sentence that used the word "Nigger." Thank you.
0 Replies

JPB

Tue 26 Oct, 2010 09:14 pm
@High Seas,
indeed
0 Replies