Is This A New Pregnancy?

shaniki

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 05:44 pm
On Aug. 12th, My husband and I made a decision for me to have a surgical abortion due to a failed pregnancy. At the time of the procedure I was 8wks. At around 8wks postop I was concerned I didn't get my period, so the clinic brought me in to perform an ultrasound to make sure there wasn't any retained tissue, blockage, or any abnormalities. My scan came back clear. Now I'm 11wks post op and for the past two weeks have been getting all the signs of my period but it is still a no show. I've been feeling kinda weird so a couple of days ago I took an hpt and low and behold it was +. By the way my hubby and I started having unprotected sex at 4wks postop. Could this be a new pregnancy or is this still my levels trying to zero out? Please Help
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 2,684 • Replies: 5
No top replies

JPB

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 06:17 pm
Quote:
What can I expect of my hCG levels after a pregnancy loss?

Most women can expect their levels to return to a non-pregnant range about 4 - 6 weeks after a pregnancy loss has occurred. This can differentiate by how the loss occurred (spontaneous miscarriage, D & C procedure, abortion, natural delivery) and how high the levels were at the time of the loss. Health care providers usually will continue to test hCG levels after a pregnancy loss to ensure they return back to <5.0 Source

It's probably a new pregnancy, but you should check with your dr to be sure.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 06:19 pm
@shaniki,
Here's another thought... at 8 wks your HCG levels were quite high and may take a while to come down.

Quote:
how long it takes for you the HCG levels to reside depends on at what point in the pregnancy you had the termination, HCG levels are higher at certain points, and so therefore would take longer to come back down. 6-12 weeks are times of high HCG.

your fertility is very high immediately following an abortion, however, if you have been very careful, you are probably fine.

also, HCG levels can take longer to come down if tissue was left behind during the procedure...if this was the case you would develop symptoms of infection such as a fever, cold sweats, fatigue, abdominal pain, etc.. and should see your doc right away.

additionally, if you are really concerned, your doc can draw a blood serum test and see what exactly the HCG levels are and probably tell if they are lingering from the previous pregnancy or you are preg. again. if they suspect you are preg. they can do an ultrasound, which im sure u already know
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 06:53 pm
@shaniki,
If you don't mind my asking, what do you mean by "surgical abortion due to a failed pregnancy?" If you prefer to not answer, I will understand.
shaniki

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 09:22 pm
@Arella Mae,
I don't mind at all. We found out at 8wks by a neonatologist that the baby had a very slow heartrate and its sac was extremely irregular and the placenta was very large and thick. He then went on to say that he has never seen a sac nor placenta like this that ended a normal pregnancy. He told us that this was due to chromosomal abnormalities. He gave us two options: 1. to return at the beginning of my second trimester to do an amnio because in the first trimester the baby gets what ever it needs from the yolk sac, its not until the second tri that the placenta becomes its main supply. He told us that the irregularity in the placenta would make him believe that it wouldn't give the baby a sufficient blood supply. So after the testing he would tell us his findings and we could decide what we wanted to do as far as the pregnancy(cont. or not). 2. Choose to end the pregnancy at that point. The thought of ending the pregnancy at 8 wks was extremely hard but to do it at 12 wks would be even harder. The doctor explained that the prognosis either way in his medical opinion was not good at all and he is one of the top docs in our area. So my hubby and I were referred by him to a clinic that deals with mothers who are ending their pregnancies due to fetal anomalies. Sorry for such a long reply I just wanted you to get the whole picture.
Arella Mae

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 11:12 am
@shaniki,
I am so sorry that you and your husband had to go through that. It must have been very difficult for you both. I pray that you soon have a beautiful and healthy baby!
0 Replies