Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 06:24 am
I've had two kittens for about a month now, they are both 16 weeks old, and one of them is very healthy, eating etc, but the other is quite the opposite.

she just doesn't eat enough. she'll lick at the food in the bowl, but not really eat much of it, and we have had to feed her ourselves by breaking up bits of chicken into small pieces, but even that a struggle for her. we've been to the vet, but they haven't given us much in the way of advice, and we're worried because at this rate she won't be able to survive.

she can't handle large bits of food, only really small bits, and even then she won't eat much.

what do I do!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 3,288 • Replies: 12
No top replies

squinney

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 06:59 am
Go back to your current vet if you trust him/her or find another vet and be very clear about the symptoms and behavior. Also, you might try weighing her over the course of the next week, or until she gets to her appointment so you can document any weight loss.

Weigh out food and document what amount she is eating. Ask the vet when you call for the appointment if they need you to save a stool sample (the vet probably has a container for this or instructions on packaging). Also, keep track of her activity. Is she energized after eating what you give her or is she lethargic 24/7?

Also, keep in mind that she may be holding out for the hand-fed chicken. Who wouldn't prefer that over meow mix? That would depend on how long you waited before starting this routine as to whether or not it is behavioral. I retrained my cat to use the litter box (she was just being pissy about something)within 24 hours by giving her a treat and praise after each use. They can learn pretty quickly.

She may have a problem specific to her mouth/ gums/ teeth. Be sure they check her mouth. Have you tried a moist cat food rather than crunchy?

0 Replies

Fido

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 07:42 am
You need to have a little of Mother Nature's hard heart beating in your chest, and let events take their course... If you want to see the weak survive to breed weakness into the population; just go to your local hospital and see how that is working out...You might also remember that cats learn what to eat from their momma's... Our cat kills mice and voles but does not eat them because it left home too soo to learn... When I want to get it to eat something new, like a piece of chicken or egg yolk I have it take it out of my mouth... There is something about a dead played to death mouse I just can't get past my lips... How about you???
squinney

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 07:45 am
@Fido,
"Sit, Fido."
0 Replies

Aldistar

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 09:26 pm
I have nursed along some cats that had similar problems. I used to feed my cats pretty much a dry food diet, but one never gained weight and never seemed interested in eating. I switched him to can cat food and he couldn't get enough and plumped right up.

Another good way to go with ones this young is to get baby food. Just off the shelf jars of baby food that are any of the meat flavors. I found a store brand that actually sold creamed liver (who wold feed that to a baby?!) and the kitten loved it.

I would try another vet if your current one is not helpful. I got adopted by a cat who had chronic mouth ulcers that would flare up from time to time and he would only eat the baby food during these episodes.
Fido

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 09:36 pm
@Aldistar,
Aldistar wrote:

I have nursed along some cats that had similar problems. I used to feed my cats pretty much a dry food diet, but one never gained weight and never seemed interested in eating. I switched him to can cat food and he couldn't get enough and plumped right up.

Another good way to go with ones this young is to get baby food. Just off the shelf jars of baby food that are any of the meat flavors. I found a store brand that actually sold creamed liver (who wold feed that to a baby?!) and the kitten loved it.

I would try another vet if your current one is not helpful. I got adopted by a cat who had chronic mouth ulcers that would flare up from time to time and he would only eat the baby food during these episodes.

If kids had anything like a sense of smell, or taste do you think they could stand adults??? They can sit around in a pile of **** til it starts digesting them and not care that they reek to the rafters... You never hear one say: For God's sake Ma; brush your teeth... You smell like an ashtray in a whore house is a sewer... It takes them a while to figure out what stinks or tastes bad...Parenting would be impossible if they were capable of judging us... Isn't that why we like them??? Because they do not judge us????
Aldistar

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2010 10:28 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:

If kids had anything like a sense of smell, or taste do you think they could stand adults??? They can sit around in a pile of **** til it starts digesting them and not care that they reek to the rafters... You never hear one say: For God's sake Ma; brush your teeth... You smell like an ashtray in a whore house is a sewer... It takes them a while to figure out what stinks or tastes bad...Parenting would be impossible if they were capable of judging us... Isn't that why we like them??? Because they do not judge us????

Ha! Yeah, that all gets saved up for the teen years when you get it all in contrated form.
Fido

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2010 08:12 am
@Aldistar,
Aldistar wrote:

Fido wrote:

Ha! Yeah, that all gets saved up for the teen years when you get it all in contrated form.
Everything sucks or stinks to a teenee... And some times they are right... A lot of stuff sucks and stinks...
0 Replies

jc sunshine

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2010 01:02 pm
@existential potential,
When my cat was a kitten she was a 'delicate soul' and our vet told us to try strong smelling food, ie tuna, and little and often just like a baby.
0 Replies

existential potential

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2010 04:17 am
cheers for the replies.

she's eating much better now, we just kept on encouraging her and now she's eating all by herself, and she's much more lively.
jc sunshine

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 09:49 am
@existential potential,
That's lovely. Your patience has paid off! Smile
0 Replies

hehfest

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2013 02:04 am
@existential potential,
wow. yeah; folks stop going to the vets for things. i have had nothing but horrific experiences with them. seems most really don't know ANYTHING.

did this cat drink from the mommy on her breasts okay? or you got her after that? gosh, sounds like she is afraid to eat or just does not understand they need to do it. I can tell you a few hints here. Get a syringe (30 ml or more) and put food in it. You might need help from someone, maybe not. Kind of pry the jaw open and start feeding her by squirting food in the mouth. You can use liquid food, baby food, something. It can't be too chunky because of syringe. Or could use blender or food processor for that food and then put in syringe.

have you tried to switch foods? is it for anything then it sounds like? maybe her stomach is killing her. who knows. dont go back to the vets though. runt of litter maybe?

0 Replies

hehfest

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2013 02:06 am
@Fido,
serious? that's a rude and ignorant comment. my niece has started out really slow. and my sister knew she would be. good for her to give birth to her still. no wonder this place is falling down a bathtub drain so fast.
0 Replies