Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 584 • Replies: 9
No top replies

laughoutlood

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2010 03:09 am
@zhanglizoe,
how bad do you want to know?
Setanta

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2010 03:34 am
A code word means a word which evokes a meaning other than the simple definition of tbe word.

Is this another goofy attempt at maketing?
zhanglizoe

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2010 04:34 am
@laughoutlood,
the specific context is like this:
the common resistance to hegemony-------a code word for Soviet expansionism
zhanglizoe

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2010 04:35 am
@Setanta,
what do you mean by "Is this another goofy attempt at maketing? "
Setanta

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2010 04:45 am
@zhanglizoe,
zhanglizoe wrote:
the specific context is like this:
the common resistance to hegemony-------a code word for Soviet expansionism

So, in this case, the author is saying that hegemony is a code word for Soviet expansionism--that hegemony, despite its general definition, means Soviet expansionism.

This is not a good use for the term code word. Both because that is not what hegemony means even remotely (it's not specific to what the Soviet Union once attempted), and because hegemony is the exact word to use for anyone's "expansionism" (a rather lame neologism). So this is not a good use of "code word."
Setanta

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2010 04:47 am
@zhanglizoe,
We have people who sometimes come here and try a tag team approach to attempt to sell a product. One person starts a thread which contains the bait (in fact, it is ofen a code word), and the that person using a different account, or someone else comes along to set the hook--to post a link for their web site, to promote that product.

I saw a lot of that when i came here this morning (it is early morning in eastern North America), and i was reacting to that. I can see now that this is a simple, legitimate question.
0 Replies

zhanglizoe

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2010 05:56 am
@Setanta,
thanks for your reply!
0 Replies

zhanglizoe

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2010 05:57 am
@Setanta,
thanks for your reply1
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2010 06:32 am
A "code word" when used this way is a phrase that sounds innocuous, but has a certain meaning to the target group. In the US, a politician might talk about "States' Rights" when talking to groups fighting segregation because "states' rights" is a code word for supporting segregation, yet he doesn't want to come out and directly support an unpopular cause.
0 Replies