The United States should back Palestine instead of Israel.

xifar

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 08:54 pm
Backing Israel is completely idiotic. I think that protecting and creating the nation of Israel was a knee-jerk reaction due to the Holocaust. Backing them continuesly has been historically and will in the future be a problem. The U.S. refuses to back Islamic countries (unless they have oil of course),i.e. Palistine, but we dont have a problem invading them. Backing Israel has no clear advantages and/or logic, and multiple problems.

Any thoughts?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,988 • Replies: 41
No top replies

PDiddie

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 09:00 pm
Would save the US taxpayer a lot of money, too.

It ain't hap'nin. Never in a million years.

You know God (the Guy Bush talks to)? Heard of him?

Jesus? Holy Land? John Ashcroft? Tom DeLay?

Sorry, but....no.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 09:10 pm
Sure, backing Israel has plenty of advantages to the US. For one, when was the last time Israel tried to bomb America? Please....this is just silly...Islamic countries clearly HATE America, and the US wants to protect their interests in the Middle East oil franchise. Hence, ergo, Israel is their ally, as they need a friend in a sensitive area. Actually, there are tons of 'logical' reasons to have Israel as a US ally. The politics in the Middle East are far more complex than your question. What exactly does so-called Palestine have to offer the US, politically, monetarily, or other? Do you really think that global issues are dealt with without a nod to power, money and control? Puhhlease.....
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 12:16 am
cav wrote:
Do you really think that global issues are dealt with without a nod to power, money and control? Puhhlease.....

But, that's the crux of the problem (or, at least a very large part of the problem) with global issues, cav. Nodding to power, money and control, instead of nodding to the general welfare of human beings.
0 Replies

yeahman

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 12:26 am
cavfancier wrote:
For one, when was the last time Israel tried to bomb America?

Yeah you're right, it's been a while. But there have been Americans killed in Palestine by the Isreali military. And then there are the Isreali spies.
They haven't exactly been our best friend.

When was the last time Palestinians tried to bomb America? I don't see your point.
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 12:56 am
Cav

You say islamic countries CLEARLY hate america just after calling Xifar silly. Um.... do I have to point out the silliness of that.

What the USA should back is peace, freedom and justice. I thought that was what you guys were all about.
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 03:20 am
You guys?
Quote:
What the USA should back is peace, freedom and justice. I thought that was what you guys were all about.

A few people in America are about that but sorry the US Govts. are not. They are about POWER & MONEY. In America, peace, freedom and justice are become more rare as time goes on. Five more years of the Dubya thives and there won't be any of those.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 03:27 am
Adrian wrote:
Cav

Unfortunately, it's not what they are about. Money and Power is the name of their game.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 05:43 am
The USA should not support one over the other. It should be an even handed policy which holds them all accountable at all times, not just selectively.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 06:36 am
ye110man, I forgot about 1967. If I wasn't clear, all I was trying to say is that the USA has no vested interest in backing Palestine. As for edgarblythe's comment, I completely agree. However, that is not how things are, and I doubt that under the current administration it will change any time soon.
0 Replies

yeahman

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 02:37 pm
Personally, I don't want the US to back either Isreal or the Palestinians. I want a fair middle east policy. Right now it clearly favors Isreal.

The US interests in backing Isreal:
They are the only true tested significant democracy in the region.
The Jewish and Evanglical Christian votes (which is something like 25%).

The US interests in backing the Palestinians:
It would do a lot to help curb terrorism against the US.

Anyway, the way I see it, the US can back Isreal while at the same time pressuring it to abide by UN resolutions. There's no reason why the US should back Ireali settlements.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 02:51 pm
We should keep our goddam noses out of the Middle East -- and let them settle their problems on their own.

That is the best thing we can do for EVERYONE over there -- Jew, Arab, Israeli, Palestinian EVERYONE.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 03:14 pm
No it's not Frank. The Jews have the rights to have a homeland. They have the military power to wipe out every single Palestinian. You know what holds them back? Pressure from the US. Our diplomatic ties to Israel are very important not only to the US and Israel, but every country in the middle East. I really don't want to see the whole region involved in a full scale war, do you?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 05:22 pm
xifar
Quote:
Backing Israel is completely idiotic. I think that protecting and creating the nation of Israel was a knee-jerk reaction due to the Holocaust.

I take it from that statement you do not believe Israel has a right to exist am I correct?
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 07:49 pm
Israel's existence as a bigoted, ethnocentrically motivated country whereby it's inhabitants are forced to "maintain a Jewish character" regardless of whether it's inhabitants are Jewish or not, especially in light of the fact that one of the rationalizations for its bigoted establishment was persecution at the hands of a people who tried to establish a nation with an "Arian" racial character, smacks of abject and barefaced hypocrisy.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 07:50 pm
Go hate jews somewhere else. We ain't buying here.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 08:05 pm
InfraBlue and I have agreed to disagree regarding Israel, I hope Wink (let's try to keep it friendly) but McG makes a good point regarding the pressure on Israel to hold back from making things worse in the region coming from the USA. McG and I rarely agree on things, but in this situation, given that Israel clearly needs to be 'handled' due to a misguided leader, well...who's going to to do it besides the US?
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 03:44 am
Aside from your knee-jerk reaction, McG, how, exactly, am I hating Jews?

McG wrote:
The Jews have the rights to have a homeland.

Does that include the right for Europeans to establish a chauvinistic ethno/religious homeland in a land that was populated with peoples of other ethnicities and religions long before their arrival in the mid-nineteenth century simply because some of their ancestors had lived there millennia ago?
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 03:57 am
cav, I apologize for the strident tone in what I write, and I'll do my utmost to maintain civility here, but I won't hold back on my opinions upon what has and is occurring in Israel, and that it is an example of duplicitous actions and rationales. How else can I describe it?
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 04:55 am
The existence of Israel provides a target far from American soil
0 Replies