Do you want custom themes (colors) on able2know?

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 05:45 pm
And if so, would you be willing to pay for them? Here's the deal. We are currently working on some new design for able2know. The good news is that this time around it's a real graphic artist and not my stuff.

Anyway, one of the ideas I've recently had that would make producing a vast array of designs more viable would be to sell them. Basically, members could buy a particular theme for their subsequent unlimited use for prices like $3 to $5 dollars and this revenue could be used to fund further development of these themes.

A lot of people have expressed the desire to have different colors than our default ones, and I'm wondering if you guys are willing to pay for the themes, which would be a structure that appeals to me in that it would cover at least some of the costs to develop and maintain the different themes.

Any thoughts from the color connoisseurs out there on paid themes?

Eva

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 05:48 pm
I do like having color choices, but not enough to pay for it.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 05:48 pm
@Robert Gentel,
YES!

Yoohoo!!

ME! ME! ME!
http://i55.tinypic.com/i1inmp.jpg
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 05:50 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Personally, I'd rather pay for something of more substance, such as the maintenance, administration and moderation of the site and have the custom color theme option a benefit of a paid subscription.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 05:52 pm
@Butrflynet,
Quote:
... and have the custom color theme option a benefit of a paid subscription.

D'accord!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 06:13 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I can't pay for it, so a no, but not so long ago, I would have. I remain interested in color, but as a non payee will try to be quiet.
One question, are there any sites that provide colors that are somewhat greyed? Could you and graphic person work up that option if there were interest?

Um. 3 to 5 a month or a year?
Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 06:19 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
Um. 3 to 5 a month or a year?

In that example I had one-time in mind. You would be able to buy a theme for $3 to $5 and then use it as long as you want.

In a model where it is part of a subscription that others have suggested above it might be a bit different, but likely something like $20/year for themes and maybe no ads or something and in that one it would likely mean the subscription offers access to any of the themes while the subscription is active.

But in the idea I proposed above it's just one-time per theme.
engineer

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 06:48 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I'm not all that into themes and colors, but I think you might do better making them free and using them to build site loyalty, meaning more hits and more ad revenue. Charging could backfire if a competitive site decided to offer the same option for free.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 07:06 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Ok, I'd do that. For now. I'm bordering on financial ruin, but am at the outskirts. I've cut many bennies out of my life, but as long as I can maintain internet, I'd love to play with color, even just choosing. (I figure there will be a way to see a page with one's chosen colors.)

Is there color play involved or do you stick with what you picked?
Aha, changes add up.

Still, at the present time, I'd go for it.. or think I would, unless choices are too bright. I'd like to see leaving the default as a continuing option for the color choosers, as I'm one of the people who is ok with the default. But I figure you are doing that.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 07:35 pm
I'd pay the $3 to $5 if it is a one time deal. I love A2K.

tartespan, that video is so cuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuutttteeee!
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 09:06 pm
$3-5 is something I'd pay. Serious. I pay far more for perishable things that I don't get to enjoy on a daily basis.

A
R
T
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 09:08 pm
@Robert Gentel,
No
Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 09:23 pm
@engineer,
The logged in members don't really generate any ad revenue (probably about $30/month) so it could grow by orders of magnitude without even covering server costs or becoming something strategically relevant. I just don't see loyalty for themes being much of a factor at all, and even if it tripled our loyalty that would likely represent less than a dollar a day in ad revenue.

Plenty of other sites offer free themes and skins, I am not worried about losing members to other sites over it because nobody is gonna come here for the themes, no matter how good they are. They come here for the content and not the presentation so finding a better deal elsewhere on themes wouldn't really make anyone switch because that isn't really what they are in the market for when selecting a forum.

But in that loyalty vein, it would then be something we could give away to the core members which would possibly generate more said loyalty than giving it to all for free. But either way, because of the generally non-existent ad revenue from logged in users (which is normal banner blindness) we can put away our loyalty calculators, it won't make any real financial difference either way.

So ultimately it's just about offering them for sale and probably making around $30-$50/month on that tops (which I'd use to make more of them or improving on them), or offering them for free, and probably just making fewer themes (I'd probably just pay for a few initially and then add making more to the to do list for one day).
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 09:25 pm
@roger,
Which question are you answering? No you don't want themes? No you would not pay for them? No you don't have thoughts on the matter?
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 09:34 pm
I would be in the category of Interested-but-don't-have-disposable-income. Nice idea, though.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2010 02:32 am
@Robert Gentel,
Probably wouldn't bother if they were free. Would not pay.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2010 03:11 am
Robert wrote:
And if so, would you be willing to pay for them?

I'd readily pay more for a good search engine, like the one we had previously.

Gadgets are not my stuff..
laughoutlood

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2010 03:26 am
@Francis,
ok i spose i could kick in

great site robert well done everyone
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2010 06:24 am
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
would you be willing to pay for them?