1  
Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2020 08:31 pm
@edgarblythe,
Personally, I like naps.....

2  
Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2020 05:41 am
@glitterbag,
MAde three medium sized mallets out of some Osage Orange from a tree my neighbor cut down last year. Osage Orange is a really tough fibrousy hevy wood .Its a neat yellow color. All I did was cut a thick branch into slices like sausages and stuck em on the lathe to round em off to look lik a barrel shape. Then I drilled a massive hole through the sides of each about 1- 1/2 ".. Made some handles and cut a split in th top of eachone to fit a shim to spread the wooden handles (I used some wide dowel rods for the handles. Ill use one for tapping in and carving , the other tweo go to my neighbor and to a friend who makes wood sculptures and hes had a n old wooden mallet made of "Lignum Vitae" .It was maybe 100 yars old and has gotten its face all beat up from years of chisel work.. My fried will let me know which length is best for him and how much of the face I should remove so hes got a comfortable chisel face.

Osage is an interesting wood. Its hard as hell and tough. Its not as hard as Lignum but itis good enough for mallet making. They used it a lot on the Chesapeake for the Prows of 13 Log canooes and Oyster fleet boats. They would also use it for prows and keels of Chesapeake 5 sail schooners that had to fit in the C&D Canal connected the Chesapeake Bay with the Delaware bay at sea level,(no lox)
Joeblow

1  
Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2020 06:08 am
My god you're a clever one. Have you any interest in posting pictures? I would love to see them!

1  
Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2020 06:15 am
@Joeblow,
Ive tried and apparently my IP and I have some problems in up and downloaing. I can stor pix on my computer but cant seem to get any hosting services.Ive tried the places like Imgur . Ill have to send Philbis a PM and see what advice I can get.
Ive still got a load of pix on SD cards that I made from when I built this little Currach or when we fixed up the little Bug eye Sprite. Ive even got pix of Some Black Buzzards eating my rubber windshield wipers when I went fishing dby the Conowingo Dam
Joeblow

1  
Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2020 06:35 am
Yeah, it can be a pain. I used to use photobucket, but I recently got a message stating I had violated terms of service by posting a pic. Since when? News to me. Then I realised they now charge a little money. It's no longer free to do it. So it goes.

I have resisted online shopping but that doesn't seem to be an option anymore, so, I've finally created a paypal account.

Dr Sliptinschit

-1  
Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2020 06:20 pm
I'm on lumberjocks. I'm a collector of Stanly planes.

https://virginiatoolworks.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/2box.jpg

1  
Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2020 06:43 am
@Dr Sliptinschit,
what would the no 2 be best used for?.
I have a few (Ive posted on my other thread), but due to a past high energy occurrence. Im not able to handle most hand planes except finger planes, handmae molding planes and a really big floor jobby.
I do use Milawaukee battery (and a corded) planes but Im sure theres not the "feedback" you get with a hand plane.

I envy folks who can handle em like a fiddle.
Dr Sliptinschit

0  
Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2020 07:57 am
Its a small, general purpose bench plane best suited for one handed use (similar to a block plane).

1  
Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2020 03:22 pm
@Dr Sliptinschit,
Im not familiar with small bench planes. I see that one is only 7" . The front knob isnt used at all?

you have any sets for sharpening the steel?
Dr Sliptinschit

0  
Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2020 03:48 pm
I have one of these, but its something I picked up off of craigslist and is low quality.