Butrflynet

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 10:07 pm
I've always had an interest in Roy Underhill's show on PBS. The inventive hand-tools used on his show fascinate me.

If any of you woodsmiths are interested in his designs, he's got some downloadable plans on his Woodwright's School site that include bookstands and puzzles. On the show's PBS site there are instructions for an African Drum, Bookcase, Roll-Front Cabinet, Winsor Chair and others.

Rockhead

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 10:09 pm
@Intrepid,
sub-floor...
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 10:10 pm
@Butrflynet,
I made a couple of his footstools . However, using those hand operated colonial tools is too anachronistic for me. My worshop is wired for 220
Rockhead

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 10:16 pm
@farmerman,
my shop out to the farm is twice the size of where I was.

got a little room to the side, just for woodworking...

(I'm more of an iron guy)
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 10:45 pm
@farmerman,
how is your dinghy coming...?
farmerman

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 12:53 am
@Rockhead,
My currach is coming along but Ive hit a bit of a snag in the technique, which is called "Stitch and glue" The very thin covering is actually "Stitched" together at seams and is glued and sanded. Then its all covered in a RFP cloth and developed as a finished fiberglas covering. I have to learn how to do that because Ive seen some CLC craft that are done that way and they run the line from beautiful to just hideous.
roger

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 02:39 am
@farmerman,
Know any old aircraft mechanics that dabbled in dope and fabric airframes? Sounds like they would have much to offer.

Why a currach, by the way?
farmerman

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 03:39 am
@roger,
damn good idea there roger. You have just, in one post, redeemed your indolence lo these many years.

I thought stitch and glue would be a nifty trick but I never realized that it takes some bit of know-how.

A currach has a beamy construction and a high prow so that it is a relatively dry ride in rougher water. I am making some mods to the standard design because I want to be able to put a 5 hp motor and a sail and outrigger. Its probably gonna look like one of the rube golberg variations but , if it works, itll be a nice little craft fro inland bay putzing.

I may buy a kayak kit if this works out for me. A kit has all the parts pre cut and all figured out. This thing is just a full set of plans onto which i had to make the wood patterns. I have most of the framing under control but this roofing and siding job is going to be a bit of a job to master. I never heard of sewing wood. (I have to drill lotsa hole pairs and then stretch copper wire and tie off in the inside and then apply lots of acrilamide glue. I dont want to screw it up so Im going slow. Next weekend is "Downrigging Day" at Chestertown Md and they are bringing in the Chespeake fleet of sailing vessels (Sultana, The Pride of Baltimore, buy boats, the Wasp,several bungies and a skipjack) The sailing boats will be downrigged for th winter and its a big festival with lots of boatbuilders showingg their newest contratptions. Its a lot like the more famous wooden boat festival in Townsend Washington.
Intrepid

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 09:52 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

I made a couple of his footstools . However, using those hand operated colonial tools is too anachronistic for me. My worshop is wired for 220

Mine is wired for sound.

Smile
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 09:53 am
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

how is your dinghy coming...?

Oooohhh. Personal questions. Wink
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 01:21 pm
Farmerman, I'm sorry I went on about being a foe of your starting a woodworking group. I've seen the light.. mea culpa.

In the meantime, I spent an hour this morning looking for an old photo of the way my brother in law carved the exterior end of his roof rafters on a house he built back in the eighties. Couldn't find the photo, but found another couple of photos of a wood working project by an architect friend that I'd like to scan and add to this thread. I'll be back with that.
farmerman

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 03:00 pm
@ossobuco,
Im also building an arts and crafts style hanger frame for my wife to use in her upcoming craft show in SPringfield Mass
spendius

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 03:19 pm
@farmerman,
Sheesh!! The things people do to pass the time. The nightshift Veblen called it. Treatment in the community I call it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 04:55 pm
@farmerman,
Now that I'd like to see, we've got to get you swift at posting photos.
(She says, who hasn't scanned hers yet, but soon, soon.)
spendius

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 05:00 pm
@ossobuco,
I can't wait osso. Promises, promises and your fans all agog with anticipation. Hurry up willya and put us out of our misery.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 09:24 pm
@spendius,
I've scanned them now, you kumquat.

Next I have to move them to my photosite.

Bite your nails in the meantime.

Tell me, Spendi, just how many photos you have posted? How much have you exposed of your real life. Try it, I challenge you to try it, with your pub persona, or forever remain a chickenshit.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 09:53 pm
@ossobuco,
I do have a problem, to ask permission of the architect to show the photos.

The horse was a playful project, but his. I won't show it sans ok.
I hate to actually telephone, re the probable length of a call, re money. I'd rather email but I may phone.. Dammit, he was in the M-Z when I lost some email pals on moving. To call could cost me biggo, and for me that matters. Looking him up online is a bunch of poo now.
Maybe my ex has his email.
Stay tuned.

spendius

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2010 05:22 am
@ossobuco,
Quote:
How much have you exposed of your real life. Try it, I challenge you to try it, with your pub persona, or forever remain a chickenshit.

I have exposed far more of my "real life" than you have ever done osso dear. It is not my fault if people can't read it off my posts.

0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2010 05:30 am
Spendi wrote:
I have exposed far more of my "real life"...

You indeed did, Spendi, I remember some of your antics.

And they did stroke me as the opposite of the Christian morality you preach.

But other than that I make no value judgment about such light matters..
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2010 05:45 am
Quote:
using those hand operated colonial tools is too anachronistic for me.

thats darkside.
hand tools and old techniques are called darksiding.

Mostly i just make sawdust, but I got a BIG project coming up here. Restump the whole house. Quotes are in so wont be long. circa 8 K $ New concrete stumps and replace some joists. the beareres eem OK. Theres gonna be some digging cause the floor is too low to the ground in parts to get a man under.
I offered to pull the floor up but he thinks it will be simpler to dig under.

I need to find a carpenter to tidy up doors and door frames etc afterward and replace some rotten window frames and possibly some plaster work depending on how the releveling affects things. Maybe I can do a buildalong with pics.