JTT

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 05:43 pm
@JPB,
It can be for me too, JPB. Sometimes, I survive, my own choice, on about a buck a day. A glass of milk for bkfast, no lunch, unless there's some berries that I run into, and a can of delicious beans for supper.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 05:46 pm
@farmerman,
I can't remember, did you, have you, done woodcuts?
I took a wood cut class, used some found lumber to cut a scene of waterfront Venice from the roof of my 2 room place back when, and ruined it when I was 75% done. Threw the damned thing out. Also ruined a cat woodcut, but still have a print of that. If I find it, I'll scan and post it. Poor cat..
ossobuco

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 05:50 pm
@farmerman,
Right, just like we in the l'arch design field chamfered stuff for a few years: to get rid of pointy corners but also in a trend re looks (which now revolts me, oh, well).
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 05:52 pm
@ossobuco,
yes I did. Ive been working with a woodcut artist who is a retired dean of Phila Academy o ARt. He does multi block works of portraits. The guy ius a master and Ive only picked up some tricks but Ill never be the master that hes given to it.
HE made me 2 portraits of Darwin on one plate. The early Darwin ith a woodcut map of South america and a teeny HMS Beagle. And an Old Darwin with a book on his lap. These two are on the same plate . Hes apparently sold a bunch opf these to some biology teachers at Temple.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 05:53 pm
@farmerman,
Back re the bro in law's plane, I liked it for itself - heft, beauty as an instrument. I suspect it was an oldie. I'd email him about this, but, snort, he's a luddite. He emails at work, but is monastic in daily life.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 05:55 pm
@farmerman,
I would love to have one of those plates. Oh, well.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 05:56 pm
@ossobuco,
I knnew a guy who used to cut Roman Ogee baseboards with a set of molding planes all by hand. The guy was so good that he knew exactly the cut depths hed start with and then hed bear down to cut the profile . Those moulding planes can be really tricky. I watched him cut some moulding for a kitchen cabinet company who use his moldings exclusively (Hand cut molding has a so much more organic look. MAchine cut mouldings are like machine cut dovetails, they look so exact that they appear boring.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 06:00 pm
@farmerman,
Interesting, a guy with a fine honed ability and a great subject.

Two on the same plate. Near to scary, although I suppose he could saw the block in half in case of mess up. This person has supreme confidence.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 06:05 pm
@farmerman,
Yea. Sound is a good part of all of this, well, usually.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 06:08 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
Hes apparently sold a bunch of these to some biology teachers at Temple.

Did he sell any to the folks on that Dover, PA school board?
farmerman

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 06:40 pm
@JTT,
That entire school board had to be put to sleep. It was only fair after what they cost the town.
SO, no, I dont think they bought anything having to do with DArwin.
That town is bwedecked with large red No 3's all over, and DAle Drives. Think Dukes of Hazzard
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 06:52 pm
So, like none of you have done wood sculptures in your yard, eh?
farmerman

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 06:54 pm
@ossobuco,
I did some cartoon decoys (small ones)
ossobuco

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 06:57 pm
@farmerman,
ok then..
ossobuco

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 07:08 pm
@ossobuco,
I'm crazy for DRW's horse, and I'm discerning, you brats.
Perhaps if this thread picks up new people on a2k, we'll pick up other woodworkers.
Meantime, the thread title will probably be taken as lascivious.

Now then, I've other examples of people making art in their yards, usually involving wood.

Tell me about the sculpture you'll do in your yard.
farmerman

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 07:18 pm
@ossobuco,
who me? We have a lot of these "CHAINSAW ART" dudes around here. They carve black bears and eagles and other chochkies with a chainsaw. Many of them get very good but its a craft that I see like lawn flamingoes.
I wouldnt mind doin a Trojan Horse but what'd I do with it?.
Theres a guy over in Quarryville who welds huge statues of dinosaurs and moose and stuff . He does one of a kind art , real art that looks like the creepy stuff on Steven Kings house gates.
farmerman

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 07:21 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
Meantime, the thread title will probably be taken as lascivious.
Hey, I do not know what it is that you are talking about. CAn you be more explicit?
ossobuco

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 07:49 pm
@farmerman,
The bears at the curved 101 Confusion Hill highway stop are way different. You are being obtuse, purpously obtuse.

This reminds me of a class. We were asked to do a plaza. I got a B, something about (relevence?). I had a unicorn going into a pool, mid modern buildings.

Sometime later, an actual plaza in Texas had mustangs running through it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 07:53 pm
@farmerman,
No, honey.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 09:19 pm
@farmerman,
I have nothing but respect for anyone who can do dados and dovetails with a chisel.