Tea Party candidate: former East German wall as a model for US borders

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2010 12:20 am
Quote:
The United States could learn from East Germany's effectiveness in sealing its border with the Wall during the Cold War, a local politician seeking election to the US Senate has said.

Republican candidate Joe Miller, a Senate candidate in Alaska for November 2 mid-term elections, made the comments when discussing immigration at a town hall meeting reported by the Anchorage Daily News.

Miller said that, when he was serving in the US military, he spent time at the Fulda Gap near Frankfurt, a key point on the frontline between the then East and West Germanies.

"That was .. when the Wall was still up between East and West Germany, he said in an audio clip on the Alaska newspaper's website.

"East Germany was very, very able to reduce the flow," Miller said, adding: "Obviously there were other things that were involved, but we have the capacity as a great nation to obviously secure our border.

"If East Germany could do it, we could do it," Miller said, adding: "Frankly my perspective is, you've got to build a fence."
Source
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 1,524 • Replies: 8
No top replies

kuvasz

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2010 12:30 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Well, it is true that the Berlin Wall stopped a lot of West Germans from immigrating to East Germany.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2010 12:45 am
@kuvasz,
At least that has been the official GDR doctrine ...
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2010 06:26 am
Didn't the East German wall include a minefield and machine gun nests?

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2010 08:57 am
@maxdancona,
Not only one ...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2010 09:03 am
I wonder where Joe intends to get the guards for the towers, and the troops for the machine gun nests, for thousands of miles of border. I wonder how he intends to pay for it. Or is he only referring to the Mexican border? My guess is, that as a tea party candidate, he only recently learned that the Mexican border is not the guy living above the garage.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2010 09:16 am
@kuvasz,
kuvasz wrote:

Well, it is true that the Berlin Wall stopped a lot of West Germans from immigrating to East Germany.

HA!

A line drawn in the soil would have been as effective.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2010 09:52 am
I am glad the Tea Party is reaching its peak in the off elections. That gives people two years to see how ineffective their ideas are.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2010 10:07 am
@edgarblythe,
Good thinking, Edgar.

BBB
0 Replies