Does using your GPS make you drive faster?

Linkat

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2010 09:37 am
Often times, I like to use my GPS even when I know how to get where I am going. Usually only on longer trips though – those 45 minutes or longer. I like to look at my estimated time of arrival and try to shave off a minute or two. Like George on Seinfeld, I enjoy “making excellent time.” Do you find that using you GPS impacts how you drive?

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2010 10:23 am
@Linkat,
I have never driven with a working GPS.
djjd62

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2010 10:29 am
i prefer the road less travelled, no GPS for me
chai2

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2010 10:29 am
@tsarstepan,
I haven't either, and I don't like to waste gas.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2010 10:33 am
@djjd62,
I can't wait to read your presently lost in the snowy Canadian wilderness thread DJ.
djjd62

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2010 10:34 am
@tsarstepan,
i always pull up a google map before i take off, and still carry an old school map in the car
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2010 10:41 am
@djjd62,
Party pooper! Sad
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2010 10:42 am
So no one enjoys making excellent time?
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2010 10:52 am
@Linkat,
I do drive on the quick side and making and breaking personal driving records. I just never used a GPS in order to help me do so.

When I drove Marietta to her family in Pittsburgh for Christmas, I would try to get to Pittsburgh from NYC in record time (beating my previous year's sojourn).
djjd62

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2010 10:56 am
@Linkat,
i usually make excellent time, but my driving is about 99% rural
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2010 10:57 am
@djjd62,
Ask Farmerman about his close romantic encounters with moose and other titanic sized mammals.
chai2

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2010 11:04 am
I'm not into time man~Tommy Chong
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2010 11:08 am
@tsarstepan,
coming back from my stepmothers 80th birthday the other day, nearly got up close and personal with three white tailed deer
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2010 11:15 am
@tsarstepan,
Well the GPS gives you immediate gradification on this front. My GPS will show me the expected time of arrival - it takes into consideration the mph limits.

So I will watch as I shave off minute by minute. It is quite gradifying when a instead of expecting to arrive at 3:00 - you arrive at 2:55 thus beating the GPS.
chai2

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2010 11:21 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

So no one enjoys making excellent time?

Not really.

Not as far as driving fast.

I get home each day a lot faster than people who feel they have to zip and speed.
They are the ones that speed up to the throng of cars waiting just ahead, in the same places they are every day, just to have to join the stop and go traffic.

I drive at a moderate speed, stay in the right hand land, and pass literally hundreds of cars some days that are sitting there wasting fossil fuel.

I have this magical ability to look ahead and see when traffic is slowing down, and do the unthinkable. I take my foot off the gas.

On open roads?
I guess I'm just not impressed with the fact that someone gets there 5 or 10 minutes ahead of me.
Linkat

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2010 11:24 am
@chai2,
I drive like in traffic.

But when not in traffic, I enjoy making excellent time (within reason of course).
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2010 11:32 am
I recently got a GPS as a gift. It makes me drive slower. That's because I
keep taking wrong turns to see what solution the GPS comes up with.

But I enjoy making good time. While my youngest was at McGill, I
made the trip to Montreal many times. "Good time" for me was leaving
Stoneham at about 8:30 and pulling into Burlington VT just before noon
for lunch. I recalculated as I drove and adjusted my speed to arrive as
close as possible to my intended ETA.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2010 11:37 am
@Linkat,
I gotcha! Every time I rented a car, I was never given a GPS. Plus Marietta was my navigator/officer in charge of music selection.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2010 11:51 am
@George,
That's true - sometimes the GPS screws you - like when it sends you somewhere that doesn't exist. Or doesn't recognize a road. I also enjoy watching myself on the screen driving over grass.
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2010 11:57 am
I'd like to set mine up to use my wife's voice. Then, whenever I drove
past a turn I was told to make, it would not say "Recalculating", but
"Where are you going?!?!"