Strange Feelings

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2010 05:41 am
There is this girl I know and she is so great! But she lacks one thing, she doesn't treat me that well... for example, kicks me or blackmails me (by the way I am a 13 yr old girl. so is she) but I still love her to bit as a friend... I would run away with her and would sacrafice my life for hers anyday. Even if she has been mean to me recently. I have never felt this feeling before. everyday whenIwake up I look forward to going to school because of her. I feel so comfortable around her and feel strange when she touches me. (by the way I am not gay because I would never in my life want to have anything sexual to do with another girl) I would feel suisidal if she died. The strange thing is that she treats me badly and I have another friend who treats me well but I wouldn't die for her. I also like it when she kicks me. I wouldn't mind if she beat me up until I was bruised or even killed. but only if it was her doing it. Y do I still want to b friends with her? Please tell me!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,084 • Replies: 19
No top replies

jespah

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2010 07:09 am
@linda6996,
Sounds a little like this song:

Anyway, talking about wanting to die for a friend? It is perhaps a lovely thought to you (and I am mindful of your age, and how both genders are exceptionally dramatic then), but dontcha think that's a little, er, much?

I think you are kinda lacking in the self-esteem department if this is what you want out of a friendship. Or, at least, if it's what you would tolerate. Most of us become and remain friends with people who essentially make us feel good or better. That does not mean that they don't tell us the unvarnished truth at times -- and sometimes that can hurt. But they don't do it to hurt us, but to help us.

Am I making sense to you? Friendship is not about laying down and letting someone walk on you. That's not being a friend. That's being a doormat.

I suspect you're obsessing on this girl. Perhaps you feel she is very cool, or that her life is more interesting or romantic or dramatic than your own. I am not saying this sexually, but it is a bit like a crush. Which means that the standard crush advice applies -- think of and do other things, occupy your time and try not to obsesss, and recognize that the crush will pass.
djjd62

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2010 07:11 am
@jespah,
i rate that as the best love song ever written
sozobe

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2010 07:31 am
@linda6996,
I do remember what that was like, those intense female friendships. I had one that from today's perspective I can't believe I put up with for five minutes.

It wasn't really a self-esteem thing either -- my self-esteem was pretty healthy. She was just a really skilled manipulator in the way that only 13-year-old girls can be skilled manipulators. She was brilliant and spending time with her, when I was favored, was intense and fantastic. (But when I wasn't favored...)

Linda, I recommend a book called "Cat's Eye" by Margaret Atwood. It was probably the single thing that opened my eyes the widest about the friendship I have in mind.

http://www.amazon.com/Cats-Eye-Margaret-Atwood/dp/0385491026

I think you're probably further along than I was in recognizing that something was weird. I didn't really fully get it until I read the book.

As for how I got out of it... it was gradual and past when I realized that things were off. I got involved in sports (she wasn't) and made new friendships from that. I generally tried to be more conscious and aware and not put up with her ****. And we drifted apart. And I didn't have another relationship as toxic as that, ever (male or female).
Eorl

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2010 07:53 am
@djjd62,
Wonderful song! Maybe my fave Smiths song, and that's a big call.

I think it's more about teenage infatuation and token rebellion than actual love, but I still kind of agree.

Anyway, who told you 'merrycans about the Smiths. We (the rest of the world) hadn't planned on you finding out about them yet.
djjd62

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2010 07:59 am
@Eorl,
Shocked

oddly enough my name is joe (but that ain't me in the video)
Eorl

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2010 08:07 am
@djjd62,
Bugger, I thought Canada was at least close to North America. Razz
0 Replies

MonaLeeza

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2010 10:29 pm
@linda6996,
Someone who kicks and blackmails you is definitely not your friend. You need to think about why you feel it's ok for someone to treat you like that - whoever it is. I wonder if there's someone you trust like a teacher or a school counsellor that you can talk to about this who might help you gain some insight and also help you see that you are worth so much more than this. This 'crush' (or whatever we want to call it will pass - really!) but it worries me that if you think so little of yourself as you get older you will end up being very badly hurt - emotionally and maybe physically as well.
I think it would also be a good idea to spend more time with your other friend and with other kids you know.
PS: I just realised that you are the same girl who has been worrying about her weight... I am really sorry that you have so little regard for the wonderful, lovable person I'm sure you are.
linda6996

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2010 02:19 am
@jespah,
thanks but I think I worked out the problem between us andbtw I am only friends with people who accept me. I don't really chase after people. thanx for ur help anyway
0 Replies

linda6996

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2010 02:22 am
@sozobe,
thankx. sounds helpful but it's going to b difficult to leave her
0 Replies

linda6996

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2010 02:24 am
@MonaLeeza,
thanx. =)
0 Replies

linda6996

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2010 05:20 am
@MonaLeeza,
well she kinda black mailed me by the way. It was that she would tell someone if I didn't eat! so this forced me to eat. I guess it was for my own benefit. she only kicks me because we like to fight each other as friends like a hobby. kinda like karate or judo. I think I made her sound kind of bad because I was angry at the time I wrote it but she is not to bad. makes me jealous because she is really pretty
MonaLeeza

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2010 06:23 am
@linda6996,
Ok . I'm glad if it's not as bad as you made it sound - and that your friend is keeping an eye on your eating. I really understand about feeling jealous of pretty friends - I definitely felt like that all the way through school ... but you know you have a problem with your body image and I wonder if you have the same problem being objective about how pretty you are!? I bet you're prettier than you think. Anyway, being born pretty is just the luck of the genes - it's all the other things that you do that are important. The happiest people I know aren't the prettiest (or the richest) they always seem to be the people who have passion for something - art, sport, music or whatever. I know my daughter (who's only a bit older than you) always worries about her friends who don't have their own 'thing' - which I guess is what I mean.
jespah

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2010 10:01 am
@MonaLeeza,
BTW, people who are pretty in High School don't always stay that way. After my High School reunion last year, a woman who I swear was THE hot girl when we were in High School messaged me on Facebook for help losing weight. Lil ole me, who had few dates in High School (and is happily married, BTW -- High School does not define you!).

Hang in there.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2010 10:30 am
@linda6996,
Hi Linda,

when my daughter was 13 years old ( she's 15 now) she also had a toxic BFF just
like you. As a mother I could see that this is a train wreck waiting to happen, but
my daughter did not see it at the time. In her case it wasn't as much as her BFF
treating her badly, she just encouraged her to do things that would bring them
into trouble in school.

It took a while for my daughter to realize that she'll have more trouble than
benefits if she continues being friends with that girl. One day it clicked and
Jane (my daughter) learned that the other girl was jealous of her and deliberately tried to cause her ill will and get her into trouble. Jane actually felt sorry for the girl, she had no anger towards her, but the spell was gone and their friendship was over - thank goodness!

Perhaps you can sit down and try to analyze your best friends behavior
and ask yourself why she's doing this. If you cannot come up with an answer
yourself (although I am sure you will), go and ask her! Chances are that
she is jealous of you and has very little self esteem herself.

linda6996

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2010 02:08 pm
@CalamityJane,
I have asked her many times and she say that there is nothing wrong. but I think she's lying
CalamityJane

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2010 02:56 pm
@linda6996,
I think so too! In any case, try to analyze her behavior for yourself and see
what you come up with and then stick to it.
linda6996

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2010 05:17 am
@CalamityJane,
believe me i am trying
CalamityJane

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2010 08:55 am
@linda6996,
Good girl! Now, were you mine (daughter) I'd take you shopping for that.
You see, my daughter actually discusses such things with me and she might not
agree with me at first, sooner or later, she comes around - and then we go shopping! Very Happy Try talking to your Mom, Linda!
linda6996

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 04:26 am
@CalamityJane,
that's would b cool I hardly go shopping lol
0 Replies